summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, September 13, 2019

Friday the thirteenth...

And it's lovely. There's a full moon tonight. Last night, I found myself driving all.by.myself, drove the kids to the youth meeting, dropped them off...and all the way home, in that lovely moonlight, all by myself. Emily drove them home, so I didn't have to go back and get them, but I still enjoy the quiet times that happen so infrequently.

It is not quiet, once Anne arrives for the day. She was a bit on the cranky side yesterday, to put it mildly. She is only just three years old, and she has to get up and leave her house every morning, so I know it's tiring for her. I read her stacks of books, painted, colored, and played play dough with her. She played doll house and blocks and had her eggs and toast, and her snacks, and the daily banana. Mostly when I had children that age, they had siblings close in age to keep them busy.

I'm still plugging away at the intermittent fasting. I've learned so much about myself, and am forming better habits, but what I'd rather be writing is: I'm losing weight hand over fist, it's just falling off! But alas, no, it's dripping off in little bits, but at least I'm slowly losing, and not gaining. I don't know why my body is just so resistant to losing. I read about people who say, "Oh, I gave up soda, and lost a million pounds." Or, "I stopped eating bread, and went from a size one hundred to a size zero, in just six weeks!" I haven't drank soda or eaten bread, in years! Oh, I've had a bit of bread here and there, as the odd taste or treat, but generally speaking, I have a clean and healthy diet. So I can't just slash out a whole group of something and get results. My poor metabolism has taken a beating, and my weight was just creepy-crawling back up. At least I've found something that is reversing that frustrating trend! (look up Jason Fung. I can't say enough good about him. He's a nephrologist (kidney doctor), interested in stopping and reversing type II diabetes though diet.)

Anyway. I feel better since I've been fasting, mostly eating one meal a day, more flexible sometimes. I don't get all shaky anymore during the day, and am not actually very hungry. I am trying black coffee, for at least the morning cup, to see if that speeds things up a bit. And don't worry, I am eating enough! My dinner is a grand affair, but very healthy. Lots of meat, a bit of fat, and veggies. Sometimes a square of dark chocolate with peanut butter afterwards:).

Well, Anne will be here any minute. I think we're taking her out and about today, to the library, and to a store Jon wants to go to, to buy a drill...

4 comments:

Rose Sperlonga said...

I had a chuckle when you wrote that some people say they just gave up soda and lost a million pounds! LOL I've tried everything to lose. Went to a doctor and she said .... "You are going to have to starve yourself to lose any weight !" ... because I'm already in menopause and I"m 56, so she said nothing I do short of eating one small meal a day or every other day to lose!

Sorry I'm not going to starve myself for any one anymore. I don't love being overweight but I starved myself 2 yrs ago and it was painful! I lost almost 100 lbs. But I also wes miserable every day. Counted every little thing in my mouth. And was not nice to anyone who was eating especially in front of me! And for what? Because I wanted to look like when I was 18 and because I wanted to dazzle my husband.
Now I'll dazzle myself! LOL
Good luck!!

Carol said...

Oh my grand doll is 4 and I understand the cranky and having to keep them busy. I wish she had someone to play with other than me some days.

PamL said...

I've been looking at your blog for awhile. I am a mom to 7, ages 21-5. I love reading stories of other large families. I am so glad you found intermittent fasting! I've read The Obesity Code, The Diabetes Code (both by Dr. Fung) and another good one Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens. Intermittent fasting is not a quick way to lose, but if it's sustainable for you, then it can change your life. I've only been doing it since April and have lost 25 pounds, with about 20 to go. But there is freedom in still enjoying treats now and then...just not whenever I want, and not all the time! I've read that coffee helps, although I am not a coffee drinker- all water for me when fasting. Good luck to you and God bless your family!

16 blessings'mom said...

Rose, it just ain't fair! I have a huge love/hate relationship with weight loss success stories. It's amazing to me that it actually WORKS for some people. I try and try and try, and just stay fat. I know that truthfully if and when I ever get skinny, I'll still have trial and troubles, but there's part of me that believes that life will turn hunky dory. Like if I had one of those million dollar houses, with the indoor pool..
Carol, I love how you call her your "grand doll". I get bored so quickly playing with small children. I try my best to set them up with toys and sneak away ha.
Pam, hello! I haven't read The Obesity Code or The Diabetes Code, or the Delay one yet. I've read the Complete Book of Fasting by J. Fung, and watched so many of his lectures online. It is a brilliant plan, and I want it to succeed so badly. Congrats on losing 25 pounds, that is amazing!!!! But no coffee? I am trying to drink mine black outside of my eating window...it's hard.