summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, September 7, 2019

the grass IS always greener....

Today, I am going on an adventure!!! It's a grand one, we're heading down toward Ithaca, you know, where Cornell University is. But we're not going to college, we're going wine tasting! Cayuga Lake has some amazing wineries, and Ithaca is down at the foot of the lake. We're staying at an Airbnb tonight there. I am driving, which is totally fine with me. I can have a glass or two tonight when we get to our place, and still buy a few bottles upon recommendation from Emily, Abigail, Mirielle, or our friend Anna.

These little wine tours are really fun, because when you have a stressful life, what's better than learning more about wine, tasting it, laughing about ridiculous things, and having a whole day away from the usual? Emily(my oldest) is now a Nurse Practitioner, in a doctors' office, and sees patients day in, day out, with a huge variety of ailments. She is challenged, saddened, and spread thin. Abigail(second oldest) is an accountant, and also does bookwork on the side, is ALWAYS busy. She is a high-strung girl, always has been, and it's SO nice to see her relax and have some fun. Mirielle (4th child, after Benjamin in the line up) is a specialty nurse, working in Oncology, so we know that's no picnic. It's sad. There's no way around it, cancer is sad. Anna is finishing up college, and is engaged to a very nice guy. :)

So the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, because after we got this all planned, the 50+ group of our friends from church is having a gathering! All of my friends! Without me! Paul is even going.

Now, one cannot be in two places at once, and in addition, I volunteered to be the driver for the wine girls today, so I'm not leaving them high and dry. But it's a teeny bit hard.

But on the other hand, I can't even begin to deny the bubbles of excitement on having such a carefree day with three of my daughters, and Anna. Just the fact that my older girls don't mind hanging with their mom. It's like a dream come true, isn't it?

I also feel a bit guilty because I made a vet appointment for Sunny, the earliest she could be seen is this afternoon. So Paul has to take her. I told him if he can't, he's welcome to reschedule. See how I took that little item off of my plate and scooped it right onto his? It left behind a small helping of guilt, believe me.

You cannot possibly be a mom of 16 and suffer no guilt, warranted or not. The two little girls, Miss Charlotte Claire and Miss Camille Anaya, successfully completed the first four days of school, and have their cousin Danielle here for a sleepover. (The coffee table is moved to the side, they danced like crazy in here last night!). They are to be here with Evelyn Joy and Sonja Kathleen, because Paul is taking Jonathan fishing this fine morning. I feel a bit bad I won't be here today, too, but they'll have fun without me. Evelyn is 20 years old, and can drive them to do fun things if they want.

Anyway, they'll be fine, but I still feel bad. Camille told me the other day that I have to stop feeling bad for everyone about everything. It's true.

And, a few pics...(yesterday, I brought Anne to the library)


No comments: