summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, April 13, 2020

a string of dull moments...

Life cannot be dull when nine people are in "lockdown" together in a big house on a country road, with two dogs and two kitties.
Oh they get tired!

We walked today, in the rain.

With Abigail


Evelyn took this pic yesterday, flowers from the front yard, and look at that pup's face!


Wulf is so cute! He liked finding eggs. I had a grand idea, I put money in some of the eggs, and Miss Cam found most of the ones with the cash! It was rather hilarious. The kids all agreed on this, though: It was nice that it was "unfair". They don't like things to be socialized, doled out equally. They just came out, gathered them up, and Cam just happened to hit the jackpot, to the tune of...$86! Then like $20 between the rest of them, ha.

Their Easter cake was a FAIL. I was talking on the phone to Emily, our oldest, and when I came out of my quiet room, the cake was in the oven. Well, imagine my surprise when I opened the oven, and two round cake pans with cake just overflowing from them, all over the bottom of the oven. I found out they had used one box of cake mix per pan, which is twice the amount needed. (I was thinking of the SIX eggs used, ugh!). It was a mini hullabaloo, as we considered scooping some out, but they weren't totally ruined. Homemade buttercream frosting, tinted pale yellow...they worked on that cake while I delivered a basket of candy to my dear granddaughter Lydia...it's so hard, I can only see her outside from a distance, so hard. Anyway, they ate some of the cake and made half into cake balls.

We had ham (it was SO good), mashed potatoes, rolls, and broccoli, oh and applesauce.

The day was a good one, except for this: I talked with Emily, and she is taking a job in a hospital in a hard hit area, in NY. She is not sure if she'll be sent to New York City or to Buffalo, but wherever she goes, it'll be to relieve overworked doctors and nurses. She's a nurse practitioner, and has ten years of hospital experience, most in I.C.U. She says she feels so obligated to go, where she is needed. She says when this is all over, and if she didn't go, she will always think she should have. I don't like it one little bit. Yes, I am proud of her, but then, I always have been. She is 35 years old, and if she gets sick...but then, we'll pray, won't we?

When you're a mom, even if your "kid" is 35, you still see their innocent little kindergarten face, and remember how they knew every word in How The Grinch Stole Christmas when they were only four, and could recite the 23 Psalm when they were five..."Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, For you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me..." If I ever knew, back when she was twirling around reciting that from her heart, that she would be voluntarily going off to fight such a deadly invisible enemy, oh my heart.

Oh my heart. She's taking a leave of absence from her general practice position, and leaving probably this week. She has always had this thing about things bothering her ears, and we all know that if healthcare workers are lucky enough to get all the protective gear they need, it's irritating to wear. So this is what I made for her today, from one of Paul's old t-shirts...


The buttons are to hook the mask over, to take the pressure off the ears. She will have to try this on, so I can see if I got the position of the buttons right, and the tightness right, before I make more.

The little girls, Miss Char and Miss Cam, are watching dance videos and practicing dancing, for gym class. Evelyn is done with online college for now, and is making chicken noodle soup for dinner.

I am not bored yet. There is always something to do. And sometimes, there is NOTHING to do, and I find that delightful!

8 comments:

Billie Jo said...

That last paragraph...perfect.
I pray for your brave, sweet, strong daughter.
And for you, her mamma.
I have had my share of cake fails!
Stay safe, my friend.

Carol said...

I will certainly keep your daughter in my prayers. It sounds as though NY has really been hit hard and that is so sad, but I can also understand why she feels she needs to go.

Linda Conley said...

Keeping your daughter in prayer...and I am so jealous of you living in the country where the police seemingly don't bother you, grin.

Busy Bee Suz said...

I always love seeing your happy family; honestly, sometimes it's hard to pin who is the mother in these pics.

So very sad about the cake and 'almost' wasted eggs. It sounds like some of it was enjoyed after all.

Prayers to your sweet and brave Emily. She has a big heart and a gift to help, so I understand her obligation.
The risks are crazy, but I have faith that she will be well. But yes, extra prayers for her.

I love your clever mask/avoiding the ears' contraption. YOU are a good egg too.

Busy Bee Suz said...

Oh, I forgot to mention that I always loved hiding eggs for my girls and I put in cash too; A quarter to a ten spot. They always had such a blast with it too. Something else I will look forward to doing next year.

Marilyn said...

Well..........you have daffodils in your garden! All I have is snow, but it’s starting to melt quite rapidly. I’m just dreaming about that day............so pretty. The crocus’ usually come first and I haven’t noticed them yet either. I love the photo of the dogs sound asleep.......ours are snoring away right now. I just made a pan of Sloppy Joes and will serve it on a wild rice medley as we have no buns.........amazing what one can come up with, isn’t it? I see some people are wearing shorts on the walk!!! Our grandson always wears shorts no matter the weather. I always say”no sense no feeling” 🤣🤣 I actually went out today!! To the post office!! My big outing. The first time I’ve been in a store..........my hubby does the groceries. There was no one else there, thank goodness. Well you enjoy your evening Della...


Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

That is a tough one, certainly hearing you about Emily! Fingers & toes crossed for her!

Simone

16 blessings'mom said...

Billie Jo, thank you for your prayers! And cake fails are necessary, learning from mistakes, and all.:). Carol, thank you too! And Suz, thank you also! The headbands fit her, the buttons are in the right place, and she likes them. Marilyn, still snow?! ugh. We are cold here, still freezing at night, and a bit of snow mixed with rain, but none on the ground anymore. I love the big outing to the post office, and to a store, ha. I hope when this is all over, we all are satisfied with less! And thank you all for commenting, it makes my day!