summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, April 16, 2020

why is your hair so messy?


Yes, he really asked this, on this fine morning, as I wandered into the kitchen to make coffee. He did. I had a million responses...

1. Because I never brush it?

2. Because I never do anything with it?

3. Because I just brush it with my fingers so it doesn't get all poufy?

4. Because who cares?

5. You're just noticing this NOW?

6. I haven't had it cut in over a year?

(we were SUPPOSED to have an appointment on the very day I flew back home from San Francisco, to get our hair done...)

I guess I should try a little harder, right? maybe?

It's beautiful out today, if you like winter and don't want it to ever ever end.


We were SO hopeful, when we dragged up the extra outdoor furniture from under the deck, and washed it all up nicely. Warmth, spring, sitting out in the sun! But it was a trick. The big bag of potting soil sitting there in the snow, ha.

Being in "lockdown" can get old, but shh, yesterday we needed some things from the store, so a few of us went. We had to get a prescription refilled, so we went in to Target. We split into groups of two, and walked by ourselves. One of Sonja's besties turned 18 yesterday, so we got her a few things, and a little gift bag to put them in, then dropped them off at her house on the way home. We social distanced, and used hand sanitizer. We went through the Starbucks drive through on the way home, the girls LOVE this.

What kind of world is it when you hate to admit that you went to Target?

Starting tomorrow, here in NY state, it is mandatory to wear masks in public. So many people are like, "Yes! Tell us what to do! Keep us safe!" But the truth of the matter is that even medical grade masks don't really help much,(non- N-95s) and homemade ones, or a bandana tied across your face, is really just a psychological barrier. Breathing through the cloth, getting it damp, is a magnet for germs. But we must, if we don't want trouble with the law.

My sewing machine is already on the table, and I have been looking around for mask patterns, I guess I'll start making some. I tried to mask up in the store, with a scarf, but my glasses fogged up. I found some patterns that use pipe cleaners across the bridge of the nose to hold the mask secure, and to prevent that fog.

I want to get pool supplies before they are deemed non-essential. I feel so privileged and spoiled that we have a yard, and a pool, because what on earth are the children in this country supposed to do when the weather is nice? How healthy is it for them to be inside, playing video games? Our government has had "get moving" campaigns, but this whole generation of children and teens, is forming bad habits! Snacking, sitting around, getting addicted to video games and Netflix. They are not going to want to get off their lazy behinds when things open back up again.

Parks, trails, playgrounds, beaches, closed. What a shame. Wouldn't it work better if the old people, the vulnerable people, locked down tightly, maybe only went on little walks, but had others deliver their groceries, etc., and the rest of the population just went out and lived life? I don't know. The lost jobs, the poverty, it's going to create more crime, more depression, more domestic violence, so much suffering for children. I think at the very least, people should be encouraged to get outside, to parks and trails and beaches, just distance yourselves.

I do realize that I don't know everything, don't see the big picture, it's just my armchair point of view.

What does bother me is how people seem to glom onto anything the government recommends, so blindly. Dr. A. Fauci, just a few months ago, assured us that masks don't help at all. I know, this whole thing is an unknown to the experts too, and we're all learning as we go, and hindsight is 20/20.

Today, I think I'll bake bread. Yesterday I made a triple batch of chocolate chip cookies, and bagged them up without touching them, 3 to a baggie, and dropped them off at Mariel's house for her to bring in for her fellow nurses. She said things have been crazy at work lately, and they'll love them.

Anyway, it's too quiet here, we stayed up 'til after midnight, watched the movie, "UP", which is adorable and so well done. The kids are on an awful schedule, but I can't make myself care. They still do their school work, and they don't have much going on, so if they want to play a huge game of RISK!, then start a movie with a few bags of microwave popcorn, at the very time they should be heading to bed, so what? Who cares? They can't do much else these days, although we do get outside, they do dance practices, and work out, and we walk... and tomorrow are planning to go on another excursion...to someplace outside, maybe the cemetery, maybe a little beach somewhere...it IS free donut day tomorrow at Dunkin, one free donut with any drink purchase, on the app...

14 comments:

Marilyn said...

Good morning...........We seem to be having 2 days in a row now that the sun is shining!!🌞🌞 I think we are all craving sun and warmth and being outside. There isn’t a cloud in the sky. Maybe Mother Nature has decided to play nice for a change 🥰 I ordered 2 lounger chairs for the deck or back yard as ours are getting quite ratty. It’s our wedding anniversary next month, so that will be our gifts to us from us!! Like you said, we will likely still be home for a few more months so to have some nice things for the deck and yard will be necessary. You shouldn’t feel privileged having your pool............you all worked hard for that and your family will enjoy it come summer. My hubby went to the grocery store at 7.15 this morning to pick up a few necessities........I’m so grateful that he can go. So this morning I’m going to perch out on the front porch in the sun 🌞🌞🌞 then take the dogs for a walk...........then take my book and coffee back onto the porch!!! Have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Rose Sperlonga said...

Oh men! LOL I've battled with mine this week to many times to even count. LOL All me , of course!! LOL Thank God he has been going fishing! :)

We need our world to see the positive soon or I think we will all pop soon! I went to Target yesterday also. We went in and not one of the employee's had masks on. No gloves. Just walking around. I mean the store was spotless, but why am I wearing all this crap if they aren't ? Of course I got essential things because lord knows if I looked at anything non essential I would get the death stare. But I snuck to see what was on sale for Easter . 30% off? Not a sale for me yet! I like 90% lol And I snuck into the cosmetics and bought myself some things I needed. Then I did self scan so no one had to touch my non essential items! LOL And that will be that for me for a while now.

We are waiting on our Governor Baker to announced that the kids will be home for the remainder of the school year. I hope he doesn't have them go back. Not sure my grand kids can be wrangled in to sitting at a desk now! lol

Here's to another week !
Rose

Busy Bee Suz said...

I too was confused about the mask thing. At first, it was 'you have to have a special one, or it's useless' and then anything goes. I've not been to Target since this who she-bang started but I need to go today for some essentials that I've been putting off. I usually LOVE going to Target; not so much now.
Paul should consider himself lucky after that comment about your hair. LOL. I know he was being funny though; we're all spending SO much quality time together. Right?
SNOW?
Sorry about that. Hopefully, if you find the pool supplies, Mother Nature will lighten up and let you use them.

Neen said...

I am sorry, the snow is pretty. In MO we were supposed to get some but it warmed up too much. It was so warm last week that we lost a dog to heat exhaustion (Must have been another health issue as it was only 85) but then this week are back in winter clothes. UGH, feels like we are being teased. We still have enough kiddos at home that we are breaking all rules all the time. I am afraid our country is loosing it's identity in this.

Neen said...

I am sorry, the snow is pretty. In MO we were supposed to get some but it warmed up too much. It was so warm last week that we lost a dog to heat exhaustion (Must have been another health issue as it was only 85) but then this week are back in winter clothes. UGH, feels like we are being teased. We still have enough kiddos at home that we are breaking all rules all the time. I am afraid our country is loosing it's identity in this.

Linda Conley said...

Hear me roar, I WILL NOT COMPLY TO THIS NEW EXECUTIVE ORDER. Whew, I feel better now, grin...oh about the hair, perhaps its because EVERYTHING is closed and one can not get a haircut? My bil made a comment yesterday about my hair, I gave him the look...seriously, do we need to mention this, huh? (that was my reply to him)

ANYWAYS...all is well here...nothing new to report. Do ya want me to come up and hit your husband over the head now? (LOLOLOLOLOL---Just teasing)

Valerie said...

The word I'm trying to cling to is PEACE. John 14:27 and 16:33. So hard to do, though...

16 blessings'mom said...

New deck loungers, Marilyn, are brilliant for your anniversary. Rose, Target is rather eerie right now, but as long as they deem it essential, so will I ha. Suz, Paul has worked from home off and on for a while now, but now it is every day...I TRY to make it quality time ha. Neen, 70 degrees, maybe 75, if my favorite. 85 is too melty. I am so sorry about your dog, that's sad, especially with all this going on. Linda, let me know when you get here to hit him over the head, I'll send him out to get the mail. I know you are kidding and so am I, it struck me as hilarious that you said that. Valerie, something that helped me find peace is in Matthew where Jesus fell on his face and asked God to please take this cup from Him, but, "not My will but Thine". I know that God is working in these days, and it's a real battle inside to let go of my fears and hand the reigns to Him, but that's where I find the most peace.

Thank you for all the comments, you all have made my day!

Martha said...

"It's beautiful out today, if you like winter and don't want it to ever ever end."

Ha ha! I literally laughed out loud. My friend Shelly moved to Georgia a few years ago and with all the storm/tornado warnings down there I had to ask if snow in April was starting to sound good. She told me snow never sounds good. I guess that means she's not coming back.

Your thoughts and words resonate with me. I was in a funk yesterday and my dear friend Wanda reminded me of Paul saying "I have learned in all things to be content," or something to that effect. I know the verse but my brain is tired and there are too many different scripture versions bopping about in there right now.

I felt like a criminal when I went into Wegmans without a mask on Wednesday. Tomorrow I will pick a couple up from my sister. Her husband has been sewing. A tribute to his mom who passed away in March. What a sweet son he is...

Marilyn said...

We are able to go into the store and buy whatever they have there.......essential or not. I’m not sure I understand how if Costco has flowers that they are not allowed to sell them!! Ridiculous isn’t it? Anyway, we can buy flowers and chocolates.......and anything else we care to buy. My husband even was able to snag a HUGE container of Lysol wipes at the drugstore! Bonus!!
Have a good weekend..........it’s going to be +17C on Monday here and getting better as the week progresses!! Whoop!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

I have found your blog via another we both read. I am really alarmed at some of your comments about Corona virus and Covid 19 - I would urge you to do further research about who is at risk in a global pandemic.
Mary

16 blessings'mom said...

Mary Mary, Quite...never mind. Hello, I'm glad you found my blog! I'm also sorry I've alarmed you. If you read this post closer, you'll see that I admit that I don't know everything, it's just my armchair point of view. I do know it's not just the elderly who are at risk, there have been younger people, mostly with metabolic issues (type II, high sugar levels, etc.), people with other underlying health issues, but also some younger and healthy people who get this awful disease. I have done so much research on this, my brain hurts. (Have you read the study from Santa Clara county? Fascinating!) My son is an R.N. at Stanford, I get some pretty good updates from him (they have WAY WAY FEWER cases than were projected!!!). My daughter works on a Covid floor in a hospital here, in the city, and they've had less patients than were projected, and most of the ones they have that are very ill are old and were already sick. My other daughter, an NP, had her hours cut in half, because of the patients who have cancelled appointments, and are not getting treatment for all other illnesses, which are non-essential.(she was headed to NYC to help out, she might go to Buffalo or somewhere, she has 10 yrs ICU training, but things in this state are slowing down...) There are people dying from heart attacks and strokes who are afraid to go into hospitals, people not getting their biopsies, or their minor surgeries which aren't always so minor. One of my other daughters works in outpatient oncology, she puts herself at risk every day, one of her co-coworkers quit last week because of the stress of not knowing if they are being infected, day in, day out. It's rough out there, that's for sure. But shutting down the entire society isn't the correct answer either, not for much longer, anyway. 39% of service workers are out of jobs already, those small businesses may not be able to reopen if they're closed much longer. One of the hospitals in the city near me is losing more than $300,000 a day because they cleared out the patients, canceled surgeries...the ventilators our governor wanted so desperately weren't needed after all. It's all a learning game for all of us, and no one wants people to die. We just need to continue to reevaluate each day, weigh the risks, and make wise, humane decisions. Honestly, we should be encouraged to go for drives, to use gas, to stimulate the economy! We should be encouraged to get outside as much as possible, get that vitamin D, get exercise! I'm sorry to be snarky, but I'm just not a not a Kool-aid drinker. The Who advised against wearing masks, now we need them! I know it's been really bad in many areas, and has gotten better in others, maybe from good policies, maybe because God has been merciful! Our governor proclaimed that we're doing better here in NY state because of what we have done, not because of God. Ouch. Anyway. I'm super thankful to live in the United States of America, land of the free, home of the brave. I cherish my freedom, yet I acknowledge that it IS written that we are to render to Caesar what is to Caesar, and to submit to the governing authorities, in the best book that was ever written. God knows the big picture, and He causes all things to work to together for the good, for those who love Him.
Marilyn, it's only right that you can buy whatever you want and need, it keeps the economy rolling, and keeps spirits up. I'm glad you're getting good weather!!! And YAY for Lysol wipes!
Martha, I feel like a criminal just going into the store. I go way less than I used to, but with the nine of us here, we do need things. They could live without bananas and milk, I guess. Anyway, one day at a time, and warmer weather IS coming...I think.

Joybells said...

I'm loving your blog these days, Della! Here in Oregon the garden centers are still open, thank goodness! Maybe because that's how we grow food? I hope your cold snap ends soon and that warm Mr Sun returns! Today we're driving an hour to see our new puppy before we bring her home next week. She's a goldendoodle, auburn with white front socks. I consider it essential care for our new pet. The breeder is very good about social distancing and we'll be outside. God satisfies the longing soul, it's written, and definitely my girls fit that description!

And I did buy fabric and interfacing for masks, although it's been too busy to sew any yet. My husband and I have a couple old N-95s that we're reusing, since the appraisal business has also been deemed essential as part of real estate. So we're taking precautions, and trusting God. And we're very thankful to have work when so many have lost their jobs. I pray often for our suffering country and world, especially the children. I believe many hearts have and will turn to God in this time. Have a great day Della and thanks for keeping it real! Hugs from Oregon!

sadie c said...

I had to laugh about the hair comment! I got Violet to slice a few inches off my hair last week and she did a really good job.

I hate the way we have to justify going out to get shopping these days. I don't think anyone is going out just for the joy of shopping, the whole business is stressful. I haven't been in a shop for a good month now, and I miss it. But I miss the way it was, I have no desire to go and stand in line and walk around scared in case someone cuts across me too closely. I don't like that my husband has to go in them either, but he seems to be coping really well with it all.

We continue to be in Lockdown here in the Uk. It's a strange situation, but I think it's the right thing to do. Our mistake was not doing it sooner. We were being told conflicting things; schools stayed open, pubs and restaurants were opened but the suggestion was maybe to not go to them!!, we could get out but not go to parks, so people went to parks. Truth is, no one really knew exactly how we would be affected by this virus, let's just say the initial reports from where it came from may not have been as honest as they should. But it's something we have to deal with, and deal with we shall.

Have a lovely week Della, and I love your blog. Hope your weather warms up. xx