summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, April 29, 2020

hmm, what shall we do today?

The girls made cake pops yesterday...vanilla cake, homemade buttercream frosting, then dipped in white chocolate. I had the great idea to put them in the empty egg cartons as they dipped them...:). And no, I did not eat one.


We went for a walk the other night...Paul lets the dogs off leash for a bit, on an uninhabited part of the road...


Yesterday was supposed to be sunny and warm. Well, it was neither. Since the clouds refused to move the heck out of the way for the sun, it was just that coolish, 50+ degree day, which was okay to be out in, but just a hint away from being gorgeous. I wanted sunshine on my skin, darn it!

Spring time in central NY state, I guess.

We "need" a new gas grill, as the old one is all rusted through. Is it worth it to spend a little more, or just plan to replace it in two years again? We use it so much, winter time too. I don't know. It is a luxury, isn't it?

The dryer if fixed, but it still stops frequently. So in you go to the laundry room, open it up, close it again, place the black electrical tape across the door to help it stay firmly closed, turn it on again, and sometimes, most of the time, it works fine. I had to really stop myself from grumping about it this morning, and be thankful that we have one.

The kids are not up yet, probably awake in their beds...I have to admit, I am feeling like this whole thing is getting old, but I am not going to give in to that feeling. As the mom here, I acknowledge that like it or not, I do set the tone here. What good will it do if I give in and cry, and feel sorry for myself? Honestly, I do feel a bit sorry for the kids. Sonja is a senior in high school. She is in this excellent program where she went to the hospital every day, witnessed procedures and learned about different medical specialties, first hand. She misses it, misses her friends. I know she is one in several million across the world who is in the same boat, but I still feel bad for her. It's the old, "Just because other people are suffering, that doesn't negate one single person's suffering." (I just made that up).

In the big scheme of things, there is no cause to "feel sorry" for Sonja. She has a loving family, a warm home, plenty of good, hearty meals, siblings to "lockdown" with...and she is being a great sport about everything. But, she is turning 18 years old on Sunday, none of her older siblings, or her friends, will be able to come over to celebrate. Again, just like everyone else in the entire world. But still, right?

Jonathan turns 16 tomorrow. We'll make his favorite dinner, hot sausage with peppers and onions. Then, peanut butter fudge brownies with peanut butter frosting. I have one gift for him, and yeah, I do feel a bit bad for him. He has been trying to get his four wheeler working lately, I wish I could just go buy him one that works, but that ain't happening, ha.

Miss Charlotte Claire turns 14 next week...maybe we'll order food out or something...curbside pick up. :)

The bottom line is that I want my kids to have a good life, but apparently we all need a good shaking up, and we KNOW that tribulation produces perseverance...(Romans 5). Our faith needs to be tried by fire.

So maybe I'll look through my paint stash and decide on a color to paint the laundry room door. Maybe I'll drag the sewing machine out and make some more masks.

My daughter Emily is heading to Buffalo this Sunday for a six week stint in the ICU, Covid patients. She has made herself available for NYC, Boston, ect., but hasn't been needed. She was actually offered a position in NYC, but it was rescinded because they don't really need more right now. I don't love it, but she has been adamant that she would help where needed, sort of like when war breaks out and all the young men line up to join, they want to do their part.

Have a really good day...are all doing okay? I do have concern about a blogger named Tracy, she writes linesfromthevine.com has 14 kids, she was writing every day, and the last day she posted, she wasn't feeling well...it was March 23rd. She had a cough, ect. Now she hasn't updated, so I've been praying for her...anyone know anything?

Are all of you doing okay?

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

... she posted on instagram 6 days ago.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della πŸ‘‹ I too feel like this whole thing is getting old sometimes.....but it is what it is. I feel sorry for the kids like Sonja who won’t be having friends around for her 18th birthday, or a graduation πŸ‘©πŸ»‍πŸŽ“ I hope your Emily will be kept safe in Buffalo.......she’s a brave girl. I was FaceTiming with my girls last night and it was so nice just to see them I talk to them often, but just to see them is so much better. My nurse daughter said they are as busy as ever in the ER 😒 but our province of Alberta is doing very well compared to some, so for that I am truly thankful. We are in good hands. Those cakes the girls made look so yummy and you are just so good to even eat one!! But one leads to two..........😬 I know about that!! I love baking, but there’s just the two of us and if I bake I HAVE to eat it...........right!!! I’m going to make a big pot of veggie soup today and I can eat that. Have a super day 🌞🌞🌞

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

shellie said...

Hi from Nova Scotia ,Canada! I agree that this is getting old, we are still in a state of emergency, to at least may 3rd. It's been really hard not to be able to see my mom who is 82,she lives with my brother and its been 6 weeks since I have seen herπŸ˜₯ my daughter is an essential worker and a single mom so we have our granddaughter most days so I don't have the luxury of free time while in isolation but that is ok. And just when you think it can't get worse if does.....our community had a mass shooting last weekend, 22 dead plus an unborn baby and 3 wounded. Some where our neighbors and one was mom's VON nurse. A horrible senseless act of violence. At a time where we can't get together and no funerals allowed yet. The world is such a sad place right now. I pray that your friend is alright and that restrictions start to get lifted soon. Take care❤

Rose Sperlonga said...

Get a new dryer! Thats essential. You're a better man than me for not stomping your feet for one! LOL I am a baby when it comes to appliances. I want new and working or then he can do the chores!! Is that bad ?? LOL

Anyway, we are doing . So sick of not going to Marshalls and Homegoods and TJ's and , and , and! Its not that we did much but just to have that option would be lovely.

I guess I'm at the point where I am feeling sorry for everyone! The governors having to make these decisions of staying closed. Taking some bad shots back at them . So yea, I feel for everyone.

I commend your daughter for going to work in ICU full of Covid-19. I would be just as nervous as you, but as I always say to my adult kids , its your choice. And I know you are a proud mama! :)

Take Care, Stay safe!
Rose
And I did read on another blog that someone passed from blogging world.. I hope it wasn't your friend..

Linda M. Conley said...

Keeping you and your family in prayer. Happy birthdays and happy graduation, even in quarantine...it will be ok...I am so over all this--after tomorrow once I finish typing my paper--I am just done...time to get out and about start living again. It seems to me, I am not the only one feeling quarantine fatigue. Grumblings and darn right sans masks folks out in public...enough...anyways...

I have never visited that blog. I will have too. smiles

The computer tells me its 65*--it is? I don't know. LOL

16 blessings'mom said...

She posted on instagram? Good! Tell her, please, to get her rear end onto her blog and give the world an update! Marilyn, what a time we are living in where we can't even be with our older kids. I'm glad your girls are doing okay.
Shellie, I am so sorry for what you guys up there are going through, what a terrible thing. Your poor mom, and you can't even visit her. It's rough.
Rose, I know! One of my daughters misses going to Marshalls, as her #1 thing.
Linda, it is warm out, but so cloudy and threatening to rain...the forecast looks dismal, but we bought some flowers today, and heck, it's spring, so it'll get better...

Beth said...

Hello from Nebraska!
We have a gas grill but friends gifted us with their old Traeger grill. I can’t recommend it highly enough!!
It has ABSOLUTELY changed the way we cook AND grill!!

Babbalou said...

I'm retired, my kids live far away and my MIL's senior building is in lock-down so my husband can't see his mom who is approaching her 95th birthday. It's tough. I'm bored, I'm tired of all this. I haven't seen my oldest son in a year (it's an international trip). But I'm healthy which is the point. I am also old enough that I take this very seriously and don't even go to the grocery store anymore, I just order and get drive up. Which isn't wonderful and I miss the smaller ethnic markets where I shopped regularly for things I can't get at the big store with the online ordering. But I also know I am fortunate and this will pass.

When my husband retired we bought a large van and my husband did a camper conversion. We have taken 3 trips (7+ weeks each) since he retired 18 months ago. Every time we come back home it seems so luxurious - running water (we have a 7 gallon tank in the van), a stove that lights when I turn it on (no pumping the camping stove), a toilet that FLUSHES and doesn't have to be emptied at a rest area bathroom and a washing machine. You get the idea. I am frugal, I get that a new dryer is a luxury but if you have a washing machine and a dryer that works (with some coaching) you're golden.

Hope all continues well for you and yours.

16 blessings'mom said...

Beth, hello! My husband mentioned a Traeger grill, but I have a feeling they are a bit out of our price range. I ended up getting a cheap-0 Walmart grill, but hey, it's a grill!
Oh my goodness, I was just saying the other day that when I'm camping, especially tenting, I always say that when I get home..I'll spend so much more time outside. Then when we get home, I'm so glad to have the bathroom right there, and running water, and my comfy chair...I don't end up going outside more at all! My husband and I started out tenting way back when, then got a pop-up camper, then a 35 ft travel trailer...now that's too old and too big to tow, so we're back to tenting...and guess what? I want another pop-up...ha.

Valerie said...

Thank you for reminding me of a funny time- back when we only had 5 kids, the washer had a bearing go out, and during the spin cycle I would often sit on it!
Hang in there, everyone! God is still on HIS throne!!!

Busy Bee Suz said...

Yes, it is getting old, but like you said, you set the tone. It's tough being UP and joyful when you want to be down.
You are doing such a great job with your family. You have lots of birthdays there, so that gives everyone something to look forward to; but yeah, no visitors is hard. I say once this is over you have a big blowout party for all your people.

As far as the grill, I'm a firm believer in quality that lasts. Less wasteful over the long run, right?

Be well my friend.

Pamela M. Steiner said...

How exciting to have you visit my blog this morning (Closed Doors, Open Windows). Thank you for your visit and your comment...I had to come over here and find out more about you to make sure you were for real! And, wow! I guess you are very much for real...with 16 kids plus their spouses/grandchildren, etc., amazing! I can only imagine what an exciting life you must have and how crazy it must be when everyone comes home for holidays. I know that is a bit difficult right now. I guess we should all be happy this didn't happen over Thanksgiving and Christmas. That would really have been a bummer for everyone. Praying we will all be back to some kind of "normal" by then! Glad to see you found a new grill. I don't consider that a luxury. It's always available if the power goes off and if you need an extra place to cook your meals...with a large family I can imagine that it becomes an extra "stove" for you sometimes. How wonderful your daughter wants to serve on the "front lines" of this pandemic. Praying for her safety and protection, and for all of the family to be safe. These are difficult days for sure, but God is with us through it all. He will see us through. God bless you and please come back and visit again!

Marilyn said...

I hope everyone has a really happy birthday! πŸŽ‚πŸ¦πŸ§πŸ₯‚πŸŽπŸŽ‰πŸŽˆπŸ›

Marilyn from Canada πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦