summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, July 21, 2020

a rush of joy...


Let's face it, it's fun to get something new and shiny. Especially when you rarely do. If I got a new car every week, I'd not feel so invigorated, nor delight in just the leather-ness of the seats. I wouldn't squeal over the push button opening tailgate, or the seats the flip forward to install car seats. Mmmm hmmm, it's nice.

I also understand that the flesh is never satisfied, and if one feeds it relentlessly, one will never be happy. Case in point: rich people, like celebrities. They have more and more and more, and then take drugs and get remarried and cheat and and and, are never happy. Well, maybe they are, but it takes more and more to fulfill those original lusts. Like when I was a kid, we were kind of poor, so a new pair of shoes was a huge deal. We appreciated EVERYTHING.

I like to take time and consciously appreciate things. To be thankful for what we have instead of wanting what someone else has, or always wanting newer and nicer, brings happiness. But ha, when something new and shiny DOES come, oh boy, I do like it.

Sharing is also good. Miss Sonja K. was going out to church last evening with the girls, to do some cleaning for the upcoming church camp, and yeah, I let her drive the new car. It was hard, but she's 18, had her license since last December, and is a decent driver.

I'm driving Jonathan, newly permitted driver, to work this morning, as I do every day, and guess what? Yeah, he gets to share the joy too. I haven't told him yet that he gets to drive, he'll be pretty happy. I'll be there to nag and scold, I mean to TEACH, ha.

Ah well. We took the new car to Target yesterday afternoon, Abigail, Sonja, Jon, Char, Cam, and I. We got McDonald's for dinner, because they had to places to go and things to do. It's a bit cramped in the back, the third row seats, but it's such a nice car.

Now, off to drive Jon to work...and then Sonja and I are going to Lowe's to get some palm trees...

6 comments:

Linda said...

YAY!!!! Hey, we don't allow Liam to drive our SUV, nope...its the nicest thing we own, lol. So, he can drive his grandmothers little put put around, grin. ANYWAYS, I so understand how you feel, smiles.

Susan said...

I am so happy that you have such a beautiful new ride! You spend a lot of time in the car so this is a well deserved blessing!♥️♥️♥️

Wanda said...

You look adorable next to that new car. Congratulations. I know you appreciate things and always are willing to share....what a wonderful trait.

Be safe, have fun.....and away we go!

Marilyn said...

Ooooo la la!! Fancy, schmancy!! Silvie is beautiful Della 🥰 You are going to be wanting to be out driving I bet!! Nothing like a new vehicle to perk you up and the kids will love driving her too. I remember when my girls got their license, boy were they more than willing to drive to the store to pick me up something 🤣🤣 “I’ll go!” Enjoy!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Anonymous said...

Well deserved and it's so refreshing how much appreciation & enthusiasm you have. Nothing worse than people who just go yeah it's great but whatever and not truly appreciate their blessings. Good for you! BTW you look just fantastic!

Simone

Joybells said...

Congratulations, Della! You and the car both look fantastic! And hopefully you get to say goodbye to repair bills for a long time. It's nice to have a car that runs. :-)

Joy