summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, July 3, 2020

well, we did try!

Have you ever dug a hole? Not in the sand, in a dry, hard yard? It's not as easy as they make it look in movies, when they accidentally murder someone and have to bury them real quick. We got all hot and sweaty, and got 3 holes like a foot deep, when ten had to be dug 4 feet deep. Sonja K. came bounding out the door saying that Dad said we should just rent an auger, and they have them in stock to rent at Home Depot. I threw the shovel down, and went in to change my clothes, we were going out and about!

Going in the rental place was in experience for Sonja, Char, and I. No other ladies were renting tools at this time, you see. One fellow was trying out the chainsaws, really revving them up, like five feet away, and saying some colorful words when the thing sputtered and coughed. Our eyebrows were raised.

They put the 71 pound auger on this little cart, and I was like, um, is someone going to help us put that in the truck?

All loaded in by a nice kid who works there, and wow! We saw two of the girls' friends go into TJMaxx! Of course we had to go in there and sneak up on them! And peruse the clearance racks, why not? I found bathing suits for Anya and Elise, a dress for Lydia, and and and.

We have to go return that auger now, here's our progress:


Today, we have to pick up all the empty cement bags, then fill in the holes with the extra dirt. Tomorrow: decking begins!!!! I am so excited. Of course our pool was a do-it-yourself project, and is crooked, so the deck will have to be a bit crooked too. If I woke up one day and everything in my life wasn't crooked or tilted or missing a piece, I would know I was dead ha.

3 comments:

Linda said...

WOWOWOWOW. Wail, I wanna a pool. (sadly, no room in our little backyard). Have a beautiful July 4.

Rose Sperlonga said...

Wow! Impressive!! Good for you gals! :)

Happy 4th of July!!

And Happy new deck day!

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!! Thank goodness you got that auger! I have to say I did wonder how you would dig those holes......It is going to be fabulous!! Enjoy the building.........

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦