summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

a minimalist...ha.

I would LIKE to be a minimalist. Or at least a graduate of the Marie Kondo institute, if there were such a thing. I would like people to come into my house and remark on the vast emptiness of the spaces, the sheer lack of clutter. Wow, they would say, you need more stuff!

It isn't likely, at the rate I'm going here. See, yesterday we took a trip to the Rescue Mission drop-off place. I actually parted with a really nice dollhouse, and it almost killed me. I cleaned out the bookshelf and donated our JunieB.Jones collection, as well as many other kids' books. That's hard, too. But maybe other kids will enjoy them now, right? Oh, the cuddle times we had reading those books! I would start out to read a chapter or two, we would end up reading the entire book, because we had to see what happened. I didn't get rid of my Little House books though, they're staying.

After clearing the vehicle of thrift store drop offs, we went INTO the thrift store, to shop. We found a few cute things, and I found these:

Ten new Dr. Seuss books! Just what we needed, ha. I was surprised the girls didn't give me a hard time. I know the grandkids like them, and for a dollar each, well...

Sonja starts community college soon, and has to go in today for orientation for school, and for the part time job she will be working. She'll be a health screener, taking temps and asking questions. I think she'll be excellent at it, as she is headed for a medical career, and has such a bubbly personality. She is a joy to be with.

Summer is winding down, it was 57 degrees when I drove Jon to work this morning. The grass was chilly under my bare feet when I turned on the pool filter, and the filter was full of...leaves. wah. Every year when I start mourning the passing of summer, I remember a book called, "Silly Sidney", about a squirrel who didn't want winter to arrive, so he taped, glued, stapled, tried everything to adhere the leaves to the tree so they wouldn't fall off. My mother used to read it to my kids when they were little, she got a kick out of it. So I think of her when I think of that book too.

Maybe today would be a good day to take Miss Camille to the library. She has been itching to go! I buy books from the thrift store, 49 cents, then donate them back, it's like renting. But she can't find what she wants there.

Ah well...time to get moving...

4 comments:

Linda said...

ummmmmmmmmmmmmmm....the next time you want to part with a real nice dollhouse, I'll take it off your hands, smiles.

GOSH! You are so lucky! The library here in Hornell isn't open!!!! What am I missing here/there (just saying, grin)---then again, we only have 9,000 very lost souls here in Hornell. ARGH, EGADS. LOLOLOL

Hey, have a beautiful day, friend.

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, you should just move to Cayuga County. :). Our library is open, this was the first time we've gone since March...the last time I was there, things were starting up, Covid-wise, and I asked the clerk how long she thought they'd stay open, they had a board meeting that very night, and bang, the library was closed. I have had books here collecting dust, that needed to go back. You can put them in the book return slot, and they leave them there for 3-5 days, so the germs die, I guess. We didn't have an appointment, but thought we would try our luck, and we got in! We had to have our temps taken, and our hands sprayed, but heck, it was the library!!!! We have NEVER gone so long without fresh books! We regretted going to the store first, our ice cream was melting, and we were browsing around happily, so nice to be back, notwithstanding the arrows on the floors.
I am dollhouse crazy. The one I donated was from Target, it was pretty nice, and hard to part with...but I have too many toys ha. I can no longer justify it, all these eleven daughters growing up and how many toys does one need to have for the grandkids?
I hope your library opens soon! It's crazy and NOT fair that Walmart can be open but not a LIBRARY. Liquor stores, but not the library. It makes what I call "Covid sense".

Billie Jo said...

Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Having just recently moved...twice in two and a half years...I know exactly what you are saying. It is so hard to part with those special dollhouses, barbies, books, and games that we spent so many happy, cozy hours with. Ugh!!! I saved some. Too many. But did what you did in hopes of other children and moms enjoying the same time together. But dang it. Time goes way too fast! Hugs!

Marilyn said...

I took a doll house to the thrift store the other day too along with all the Fisher Price toys. All the little figures were wooden.....not plastic like now. Sad 😞 but our youngest grandchild is now 12! I’m also trying to get rid of ‘stuff’. It’s not easy, but I’m getting more ruthless. Your girls will be getting excited about starting college..........hopefully it all goes well. Have a good day Della!! 🤗

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦