summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, August 12, 2020

all by me lonesome...

This fine morning, I drove Jon to work, then went to the grocery store, all by myself. The girls had a last minute sleepover, and they don't much like the grocery store anyway. So off I went.

The first store was uneventful. I had a $5 off coupon, as well as one for free bananas, that came in the mail. I only got the sale things: strawberries, a watermelon, some tri-colored pasta for pasta salad, these donuts:

They were a 100% impulse purchase. We do NOT need them, but for $3.49?

In Aldi, I got hot dogs and coneys for camping, some seltzer, lemon juice, cherries, tortilla chips, black olives, avocados.


The camping pile is beginning! There is so much to remember. Back when we camped in the camper (we still have it, but it's too old to tow around, we leave it at our church property and stay in it when we have conferences there), it was easier, because you stored basic things in there. Now that we're tenters again, full circle, ha, we have to remember it all. The coffeepot and camp stove, and the tie out stakes for the doggies and the little poop bags.

We're leaving tomorrow, and no, I am not ready, but I will be. Sometimes I start to pack (or rather, stack things up on the table) so early, that I cannot remember what I already have and what I need to bring.

And here's the thing: there are only FOUR kids living at home these days. Abigail moved out last weekend, wah, Evelyn moved back to her apartment upstairs from Margaret and Adrian, so it's just Paul and I, and Sonja K., Jonathan, Charlotte Claire, and Camille. Four kids. It's like a mini family. We all fit in the car, and can afford to order pizza.

Packing and meal planning for such a small group is, I'm sorry to say, too easy. This weekend, it's actually just the five of us, as Jonathan is going to Montana. Is that what everyone would have guessed? Abigail might join us, and Emily and Mariel might come up for the day on Saturday. Molly might bring the girls up on Friday for a visit, too. Ben and Ashley are camping next to us in their little pop-up camper, with Anya and Elise.

Anyway, we are having glorious summer weather. The weekend forecast is for high eighties and sunshine, perfect camping and beach weather!

4 comments:

Michelle in FL said...

Hope you all enjoy your camping trip! And yes, my guess was Montana (or Wyoming or Colorado) for Jon's trip:) He is very lucky to be going there....Montana is on my bucket list, for sure!

Linda said...

you had me at donuts, LOLOLOL. Have a great time camping.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della.......... have fun camping!! I’m with Camille about the bugs 🐜 and 🕷😳 but it will be fun! Must be close to home with people coming for a day. Enjoy!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Michelle, yes Montana! Kalispell airport, then two hours from there, near Missoula. It's breathtakingly beautiful, I've never been there, but he's going with three friends, and meeting some other church friends there, to hike and fish and camp.
Linda, I do not donut, because I cannot donut, because one bite would lead to a half dozen, and well...but I admire them, and the kids love them...I shouldn't buy them, but...
Marilyn, I don't like bugs either, but they don't creep me out so much. Cam had a caterpillar on her neck the other day, and I tell you, she has mini post traumatic stress about it. She gets all shivery and upset when she describes discovering it. She pulled it off, and it was sticking, and she said it stung and itched...I looked it up, and sure enough, caterpillars can make your skin sting and itch. She has some redness there, but most of her discomfort is in her mind. I think camping is good for her, shh, because bugs are part of life, right? We are camping on Lake Ontario, which is half hour away, but we are going up to the east side of the lake, less than two hours, easy. The beaches are sandy and the lake looks like the ocean, the water is usually clear and clean. (Sometimes you get big waves and seaweed).