summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, August 17, 2020

early pumpkins, welcome fall...?

um, no. Fall is NOT welcome yet. Autumn comes soon enough, and I begrudge it, with it's flower killing, pool chilling nights, and ground cooling days, forcing the Birkenstocks back on to the bare feet.

No, it is not welcome here. It's beauty and spice are lovely enough, but not yet.

The pool water is too chilly for August. It's like July was August, and now it's September already.

Why are we rushing things? Halloween candy galore, in August? Is it just because we're fat, and we like candy, or are we really in such a rush to get summer over with?

March and April, even May of this year, here in central NY state were gloomy affairs. The cold and the rain and the clouds and the chill, spring was never ever going to arrive. Summer finally came, and here we are, trying to boot her out, usher her into history, when she still has crickets singing and warm beach days to offer!

Today was supposed to be a rainy day, but Ms. Sunshine is bright! Four grandchildren are coming over today, Miss Lydia and her little baby sister Ophelia, and Miss Anya and her little sister Elise, are all coming for to be babysat for a bit. When it rains, it pours! I had planned a bit of indoor fun, maybe making a fort, and having JiffyPop, but if it's nice out, that's where they'll want to be, one or two steps ahead of grammy. I love spending time with the grandkids, but I always ask myself: How in the world did I possibly manage to raise SIXTEEN KIDS?

Now, here's a sad thing: when there are "...no comments pending moderation..." Yes, when I check for comments on the blog, and it's a ghost town! I don't always answer them, but I do love them. When I write this, I just write, not taking into account who reads it, and it surprises and delights me when I realize that people actually read it!

Anyone here sick and tired of the virus? Stop watching the news, seriously. If you're a CNN person, watch some FOX too. If you're watching it all day long, don't blame me if you're depressed and anxious, turn it off. It's good to have a general idea what's going on, but the news makes it all seem so doom and gloom and dire. More and more cases, yet the death rates are about the same as they normally are in the same months in previous years. It's not entirely a hoax, but...yeah, it's getting there. LIVE YOUR LIFE! Constant fear is debilitating.

This past weekend, camping, was heavenly, because it was like the virus doesn't even exist. On the beach, you don't get close to anyone anyways, outside of your own group or family, but the playground was swarming with happy, carefree kids. It was just such a nice getaway. I realized that here at home, the only places I usually go are to store, where you mask up, social distance, and sanitize your hands after...but going camping and being out in the world, seeing other people living normally, it's refreshing.

Well, the girls will be arriving soon, so I think I'll get some things ready for them, plus I'm doing some laundry. I made a huge coffee grounds mess this morning, then proceeded to do some deep kitchen cleaning while cleaning up the mess, so I haven't been a total bum this morning, but let's just say I'm well rested now, ha.



17 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della.............I read your blog every morning while I’m lodged in my ‘big comfy chair’ 🤗 You certainly had a few adventures on the weekend. Having vehicle problems is scary when you are out on the road. We are having a heat wave here in Alberta after I was thinking it wouldn’t be happening in the middle of August! We are going to have a couple of days of 33 C. Pretty hot for here I can tell you. You will have a lovely day with all those little girls 🥰🥰🥰🥰 Enjoy!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Kara said...

We're wishing for fall here in Arizona! SO far, the monsoon has been a complete bust- no rain this year. Last year the monsoon was "late" and I'm starting to think our monsoon season may have shifted for good. It's just oppressively hot! We are going camping for the kids fall break. Booked a nice site on the Colorado River, during the midweek, so hopefully it won't be as crowded as it is on the weekends. Now we just need to find a used or rent a kayak for a couple of days. It will be the first time camping with our new dog. So it will be interesting.

Anonymous said...

oh I read all your entries and love to keep up on the happenings in your family! You are a positive, sensible, God loving person with a splash of sass and chaos in her life. I enjoy reading and feeling a small part of it all. Be safe but enjoy and BE NOT AFRAID

Anonymous said...

Sorry to not comment, Della, but I was pretty busy this weekend. My husband had to replace the water pump in the car we needed to take our daughter to college (sob), and that was a nail biter, as he is not a mechanic officially, just handy at YouTube:) He got it all working, and they left here at 1. I will not feel completely confident in that car until they get there safe and sound. Your story about your van, oh my. Loved the 'questionable character' who turned out to be a guardian angel!!!
Valerie

Billie Jo said...

Well, you know I ADORE fall!
But I am sad that summer went so quickly.
I think with this virus time is irrelevant. Or different. Something!
Have a cozy evening, my friend.
Chicken Sandwiches from crockpot pulled chicken and Bachelor tonight!

Linda said...

{{{being funny}}} HEY! WHO YA CALLING FAT? I'm pleasantly plumped, thank you very much. ((lol))

I am falling behind in visiting, commenting and returning emails. My nose has been stuck in a book, & I have been sending out resumes etc. I am about ready to just throw the towel in...getting depressed? hmph. Past that. lolol

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, I do melt in the heat if I have to dress properly...I can manage it in my swimsuit.
Kara, camping with a new doggy, it'll be extra fun! Camping for us this summer has been fantastic, so close to "normal" life. We have three kayaks, wish I could send you a few to borrow! I hope it's not terribly hot during your camping week!
anonymous: thank you!
Valerie, ha, you don't have to apologize. Let us know how the trip went, and I'm sorry for you that your daughter is leaving for college! It's not easy!
Billie Jo, you are going to have the coziest evening! We've got pork chops in the oven and are having a thunderstorm, so we are going to be cozy too!
Linda, I am also pleasantly plumped. I complain about the gyms being closed, but shh, I wouldn't go anyway...well, I did enjoy water aerobics with the old people, just my speed. I'm glad you've your nose in a book, that's the best place for the nose. I am sorry you're having such a hard time finding a job, I will pray for you tonight!!!

Marilyn said...

I too always have my nose in a book when I should be doing something else..........like dusting!! 😉Della I must tell you.....I bought a new vacuum today.........a Dyson D77 Animal. JUST THE BEST SUCTION for dog hair!! They are pricey though, but I got it on sale and my grandson got me his 10% employee discount!! And my other piece of news is.....I went to the dentist for my checkup and I was having a bit of a problem with a tooth on the side towards the back. Crack in the filling and tooth 😬 and I need to have a crown 👑 Truly, I have more crowns than the queen of England!! I hope you had fun with those little girls today..........

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Cheryl said...

We drove up to as far as we were allowed, the actual summit is closed due to Covid (??!!) of Whiteface Mountain.. it was gorgeous, and the air was delicious!! But, and this is a big butt, everyone had to wear a mask!! Outdoors, beautiful breeze, almost 5000ft above sea level!! Not a lot of people, really, it wouldn't be difficult to keep 20 feet apart!! Then I read that their county has had like 60 cases, no deaths! Perhaps the masks are responsible, but seriously.. and all through Lake Placid.. masks outdoors! Well, that's my complaint of the day!
Love, your extremely plump sister who needs a vacation after her wonderful vacation!

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, there is NOTHING in this world like a new vacuum cleaner. That is truly good news, my Dyson is getting old, but I have a smaller Dyson canister vac that's good for vacuuming the vehicles and stairs, got it on Marketplace for $60, worth every penny. I have a few others too, I really like the Dirt Devil stick vac for the bare floors...but Marilyn, another crown? That's just awful. Ask if they can put you to sleep while they install it, will you? ugh. Or have yourself a bottle of wine for brekky that morning. I am going to the dentist today, ugh.
Cheryl, I am so jelly that you went up Whiteface! It is breathtakingly beautiful, who would believe we have such mountains in New York?! Masks, harrumph. I also need a vacation after vacations. Phew.

Marilyn said...

Della .......I don’t mind going to the dentist for some reason. My guy is lovely and so gentle. I’d rather get a crown than have the tooth pulled and have a gap!! 😳then have to get a bridge😬 I’m going for a clean today.............I hope you are ok today too.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Kristi said...

It’s 115 degrees here in the Central Valley of California. Fall cannot come soon enough for me.
Kristi

Katie said...

Hi, Della. I’m a long time reader, I think I started when Camille was a tiny baby, but I never comment. I love reading about your family. You are so blessed.

Katie said...

I just sent a comment but forgot to tell you my name. I’m Katie from Florida. I’ve been reading since (I think) Camille was a baby. I love reading about your family and what you do “all the live long day”. You and Paul are so blessed.

16 blessings'mom said...

Hi Katie, I started the blog when I was pregnant for Miss Camille, right about 13 years ago...she turns 13 in November, isn't that crazy? It's also crazy that I've stuck with it for so many years...it's nice to meet you though!!
Kristi, I do not blame you in the least. I visited my son in California (Walnut Creek) a few years back, and the temp was hovering around 106, 107, unheard of here in the Northeast! We get 90's sometimes, and humidity, which can smother a person...you take a shower, and five minutes later, you're a sweat bomb. I still like barefoot season the best...but if it was THAT hot here, I would probably be longing for the pumpkins too.

momfaith said...

me me me I read every day you post. thank you for the faith filled blogs

Michelle in Florida said...

I always read but don't always comment...just letting you know I'm here (Michelle in Florida, mom of 7, grandma to 1). :) And yes, we are so tired of the virus and I stopped reading the news (except a quick peek at what's going on locally), never really watched the news on tv because all it made me feel was angry and anxious. We are trying to live life as normal as possible (we do wear our masks at the stores, but otherwise we want our normal lives back). Fall doesn't exist here but I'm from NJ and I miss it.