summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

...it started out as an ordinary day...

...the sun was shining, and the pool shimmering with cool, refreshing promise. Margaret, five days to due date and now on maternity leave, came to visit with little Wulf.

Out to the pool we went, I dipped in and got cooled off while Margaret played in the dirt near the deck with Wulf, with his diggers and shovels. So you know how when you're a mom and you hear someone yell MOM in that tone, that emergency tone? You know, the one where you KNOW something is really wrong, not just a "MOM, she ate my pop tart!", or she took my spot, or she keeps repeating what I say...

So I got out of the pool, intending to sit in the sun, bake dry, and get back in, when I heard Charlotte Claire yelling the dreaded MOM. Then I hear, "Mom, mom, Sonja cut herself, and it's bad, Mom, MOM!!!!"

At the first Mom!, my adrenaline started in, by the time I heard the "cut herself" part, I was ready to faint, because calm cool collected are not my adjectives when it concerns injuries, especially with my kids.

So I go into the house, see Camille, tell her to go get dad, then I tell him to go look at Sonja, because I was saying repeatedly, "I can't do this, I can't do this..."

I slowly made my way to the kitchen while hearing him say that yes, it's bad, she needs to go in, can you take her? Yes, I said, I'll go change.

She was crying. She was upset, he was helping her wrap it up, and comforting her, and I was shaking like a leaf.

Charlotte Claire got dressed and came with us too. We were out the door in record time, and I tell you, we were behind every slow driver in the county. A tractor trailer pulled in front of us from the Thruway entrance, and then another one pulled out in front of us a few miles later. We were going so slowly, and Sonja said, "Are you going as fast as you can, because I feel woozy." Well, I did too, but I felt like if I said that it would scare her, and make it worse, so I started singing every encouraging song I knew..."I thank you for days full of sunshine, for trials of deepest night, I thank you my precious savior, for all things, Thou guidest aright..."and "...let come what may, upon my way, I'll give my life each day..."

It wasn't really that bad, seriously, it was a large gouge between her first finger and her second finger, she was de-pitting an avocado, and the knife slipped. It was a bloody cut, though, and it hurt her, so it hurt me. Of course we sent a picture to Emily, or family doctor, as we tease and call her, although she is an NP, she suggested the urgent care we went to. She said if the tendon was cut, to go to the regular E.R., and ugh, just that phrase, oh dear...but thankfully it wasn't.

While driving to urgent care, I did feel like I was going to faint. It was not fun. We got there and signed her in, and because of Covid, and because Sonja K. is 18 now, she had to go in alone, and that broke my heart a little. When you're a mom, your big kids are still little to you, and it was like the kindergartener getting on the bus and trying to be brave.

Five stitches later, and we were headed back home, after a coffee stop.



I got her some pumpkin donut holes too, because she deserved a treat after going through such a thing.

We decided to go out to lunch, later in the day, a late lunch, at Moe's, a Mexican Chipotle style place, because on Monday's you get a discounted price and a free drink...because I'm still five years old inside, I like the drink machine. You can push the buttons and choose from like fifty varieties, I got ginger lime Diet Coke...I would have liked a shot of 5 calorie Minute Maid lemonade, but that was all out. (When I was little, my mom worked at K-Mart's snack bar, in the back of the store, where you could buy a small soft drink for like 17 cents. (I know, I'm old!). My little brother and I were allowed to get them a few times, and we would mix them all together, I can still remember the taste of root beer and orange and cola...) You get free fresh salsa and fresh hot tortilla chips with every order, too.

We then went into Marshall's, where it's hard not to buy everything for the grandkids. Margaret and Adrian do not know the gender of their baby, so I bought some little pink blankets and outfits, just in case. :). I've been trying to wait, but these were marked down, and so stinking pretty, muslin floral blankets and ruffly flowered onesies! I bought some buffalo plaid fabric napkins to use for decorating for Christmas, and want to go back to get the matching table cloth, as I realized that I can cut it, make a table runner, then make a few pillow covers. I don't care if the buffalo plaid look is in this year or not, I like it, so Christmas-y!!!

It's another beautiful day. We don't have particular plans, but I need to get Jonathan's homeschool curriculum straight, and we haven't been to the library since March. We kind of need groceries, but can get by another day, for sure. We are having a birthday party here this Saturday for Miss Lydia Eleanor, my dear five year old granddaughter....

11 comments:

An American Housewife said...

When I read the "...cut herself" I immediately thought of avocados! And then when I got to the part where you find out it WAS from de-pitting an avocado, I smiled in solidarity and looked down at the scar between my first and second fingers. :)

Glad that's all it was! When you hear 'that' MOM scream... you just never know what's waiting for you!

Linda said...

Oh no...poor thing...I sure know how that "mom" feeling is. Keeping in prayer.

Marilyn said...

Oh no!! Poor Sonja ๐Ÿ˜” Scary, but glad she’s ok. How can little Lydia possibly be 5 already!! Seriously........where did that time go!! Is she off to kindergarten? ๐Ÿ˜ฌ oh dear such different times. Your pool sounds lovely Della...........I hope Margaret doesn’t have to wait too long now. How much maternity leave will she get? Seems to me it’s not very long there. Our maternity leave is 6 months paid by the government....it’s not full salary, but pretty good. Then they can actually take a further 6 months and the company has to keep their job. It sure makes having children easier for women. I hope you have a lovely visit with Paul’s mum..........she will so look forward to seeing you both ๐Ÿ’•Lovely day here today...great to be alive. Have a great day!!

Marilyn from Canada ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

Kara said...

Avocados are tricky! I've cut myself more than once trying to get the pit out, but not enough to need stitches, thankfully.

Our library has been open for pick up only for about a month now. I was so sad when it was closed. Pick up is better than nothing. You're allowed 12 books on-hold/requested at any one time.

Anonymous said...

I think many people cut themselves while trying to pit an avocado. I did it when we were camping at the beach and the knife blade cut entirely through my middle finger. Talk about blood! Luckily we camp in a small motorhome so my husband got me to the emergency room in record time and probably broke every speed limit getting there. The doctor took one look at the cut and said "avocado?", and then proceeded to give me a lesson on how to hold the knife while pitting one. (Blade of the knife rather than stabbing with the point.) Glad everything worked out okay for Sonia.

Laurie in California

Anonymous said...

Speaking of Christmas and Kmart, you can go on youtube and type in K mart Christmas music and a black and white picture of kmart should come up with over and hour of Christmas music all from 1974 kmart radio with kmart blue light sales and other announcement interruptions included. its kind of funny. It popped up once and couple of years ago. Glad your daughter is okay too.

Erika

WicketsMom said...

I don't do well with injuries either, especially if they involve blood. I had taken a friend's kids to the ballpark years ago and one fell and bit through his lip. Lots of blood. By the time I got him to the first aid station, they took him from me and then told me to sit down because I was white as a ghost, then the room started spinning and my ears were ringing. Same thing happened when I had to take my own son to get stitches after a fall. At least this time I knew it was coming and sat down.

16 blessings'mom said...

I read the avocado comments to Sonja, she got a kick out of them! There is such comfort in not being the only one. I'm glad I'm not the only one who turns white when the blood starts flowing...although I wouldn't wish it on anyone.
Marilyn, my mother-in-law IS so excited!

Anonymous said...

You had me hanging on to every word of your story, Della! So glad all will be well after such a scary cut. My husband got his thumb while avocado pitting. So I make the guac now. So far so good ๐Ÿ‘Œ
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, ugh, I am seeing that those avocados are dangerous! Wow!

Billie Jo said...

I know that sound!
Mom!!!!!
So glad she is all stitched up and good to go!
Oh. I LOVE those drink machines. We always get drinks at the movies.
Rhett always has to remind me that I like Cherry Coke. Not Dr. Pepper!