summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, August 22, 2020

good days....

Our little boating expedition was a roaring success! We had one little moment where the motor stopped running, out in the middle of the lake, but it was because there are two fuel tanks and one doesn't work well, ect., a quick phone call from Paul to his brother, who owns the boat, cleared it all up. What times we live in, right? To the kids, the fact that we can just call from the middle of the lake was normal, to me, still wondrous.

And wondrous is an apt description of the day.



Cayuga Lake is amazing, all of the Finger Lakes are...formed by glaciers, they are long and deep and clear, with excellent grape growing conditions on their hilly shores. There is actually a sandbar in this lake, four feet deep, out in the middle! There were several boats anchored here, and it was really fun!

They all jumped in and swam a few times, but I didn't venture out of the boat, as I knew I wouldn't be able to heave my considerable rump up and over the side to get back in. It was rather hilarious to watch the girls do this, and they are young and in good shape. Oh, how I wished for a ladder! I am definitely a get-in-the-water person! The spray when we drove fast was refreshing though, I have no complaints.

Evelyn turned 21, so we stopped first at a winery. Paul bought ice cream for Sonja K., Charlotte Claire, and Camille, while Evelyn and I went in and picked out a tasting flight. This place packs it all up to go, so we brought ours out onto the boat. The five little cups of wine were color coded, so you could remember what was what, and they gave a cute little wine glass, some crackers, a piece of fudge, chips and salsa, and a bag of fresh popcorn. We shared, of course. And we bought one bottle of bubbly something, a sweetish but yummy one, which we didn't open until we got home...I HAD to take a dip in our pool before starting up with the party...Evelyn joined me, we had a glass of that bubbly, all cooled off and refreshed, before picking some tomatoes from the garden.

Yes, we made fresh salsa for the pulled pork nachos, oh so good!


(Wulf is so cute!)

So this fine morning, my girls got up BEFORE the birds, and went on an exciting adventure, zip lining and white water rafting! A bunch of them met here, so Char and Cam left the pups in their room, so they wouldn't bark their silly heads off when the others pulled into the driveway. Well. Sunny is a very high strung Labrador. She knows how to relax and sleep all day on the couch, but separate her from her humans, and, well, she gets distressed. So the barking and whining started, and I got up, too early for a Saturday, and went to let them out of the girls' room, and that dang dog:


She tried to chew her way out. Oh dear.

Keep Margaret in your prayers, she's due next week...she had a difficult time birthing Wulf, lots of suffering, and now with this virus and more mandates...for instance, if Adrian were to test positive, he couldn't be there at all, so I am her #2, but even if Adrian is fine and tests negative, he cannot leave at all during anything, or he cannot return. Margaret is such a sweet girl, she's working very hard on not being anxious, but prayers are powerful!

We are all so excited that Wulf will be a big brother soon! A tiny little newborn around here again!!!!



4 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della 👋 What a lovely day you all had yesterday. The boat ride sounds wonderful and I know for sure if I jumped in 😳 I’d still be there, because there’s no way I would be able to haul my old self into a boat!! 🤣🤣 I would have to be towed ashore!!! The party food sounds delish and the cupcakes Camille made are just beautiful!! We are looking after my daughter’s little miniature schnauzer today and he’s a bit of a nervous Nellie, but seems to have settled down now. Bindi has been watching him like a hawk........Hudson just sleeps!!😂😂 I guess Sunny wasn’t too happy being locked up from everyone...........😬 Oh dear .......... Have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Marilyn said...

I meant to say too. .....a good book by Barbara Taylor Bradford is A WOMAN OF SUBSTANCE. There’s a series actually. Good story. I read it years and years ago, but loaded it into my reader to read again.

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Linda said...

Keeping in prayer for the upcoming birth...you know how I feel about all these mandates. sigh.

Hey, that's how Keuka Lake is too, glacier formed and very cold.

Joybells said...

Oh dear, naughty Sunny! Dogs sure like to be with their people, don't they?! We are loving ours, can't believe we lasted for a year and a half without one. My youngest throws her arms around that curly bundle of energy and calls her all kinds of cute little pet names. And the lake trip looks soooo nice! Thank goodness that summer isn't over yet, in spite of rain and a few leaves falling. We're holding onto summer as long as we can. :)

Joy from Salem