summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, October 21, 2021

a wonderful day, and a before and after!!!

 



Miss Charlotte Claire...I thought her hair was fine, but...

The new cut is sweet!


This critter, so high strung, yet so able to laze around all day.  She NEEDS to be in our room at night or she whines, Miss Sunny.  She NEEDS to be in our bed, at my feet, or she whines.  We've been hoodwinked and misled, and have inadvertently created a monster.  A cute monster, but.  We have finally put our collective foot down, and no more couch, only the leather couch for them.  There are guitars and a ukulele (in their cases) up and down the couch, looks lovely, but they have to learn not to get up on it...we are going to get them new doggie beds too, try to teach them some new tricks.  :)

Suzanne is coming over for a visit today, and I am going later to buy some pumpkins for the fall youth conference here....35 pumpkins.  I have to get the oil changed in the truck, and am thinking to make chicken pot pies for dinner.  

Yesterday afternoon, I went to talk to the Apple Lady, Mary, who lives down near the river, about buying out her stock of pumpkins, she is fine with it.  Then on to pick up Char from school for her new haircut, then quick into Aldi for a few things, armed this time with a meal plan.  Then into another grocery store just for one thing, ha, ended up at the service desk, ended well, but I can't seem to hurry!

We had to get dinner into the oven quickly, because Camille and I were leaving to do some cabin cleaning/bedding collection to get ready for the upcoming conference at church.  Pork chops into the oven, with acorn squash, and stuffing.  It was a good dinner, even if I ate it in Abigail's car.

Have you read Proverbs 31?  
"Who can find a virtuous wife?  For her worth is far above rubies.
The heart of her husband safely trusts in her;
So he will have no lack of gain.
She does him good and not evil
all the days of her life.
She seeks work and flax and willingly works with her hands.  She is like the merchant ships, she brings her food from afar.  She rises while it is yet night and provides food for her household...She considers a field and buys it, from her profits she plants a vineyard.  She girls herself with strength, and strengthens her arms.  She perceives that her merchandise is good.  And her lamp does not go out by night.  She stretches out her hands to the distaff.  And her hand holds the spindle.  She extends her hand to the poor.  yes, she reaches out her hands to the needy.  She is not afraid of snow for her household.  For all her household is clothed with scarlet. (v. 10-22). The rest is good too..."Strength and honor are her clothing.  She shall rejoice in time to come.  She opens her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness.  She watches over the ways of her household, and does not eat the bread of idleness...(25-28)
(and then of course, "Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised...v. 30)

This is for all of us, concerning  spiritual growth, as we go through our days, getting oil in our vessels through the trials of life.  But in the natural, there is a storing up too, and I always find that autumn brings out the squirrel in me.  There are only six of us here on the regular, but the older ones are a part of many of our dinners.  I am aware of hoarding, and don't want to do that, I think of the verses in Matthew about storing up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy...(6:19)...

So I am working on finding the middle ground.  Inflation, supply chain, scarcities, empty shelves...those things are scary, especially when you have mouths to feed.  I am such a Mama Bear, too, I think of my grown kids, and the little grandchildren, and would want enough to help them out too...so finding a balance between being led by fear, and being greedy, and being prepared for winter and the predicted shortages. 

So I've stocked up a bit on pasta, just six pounds (used to be two meals around here, now is at least six!), some tomato sauces, crackers, ect.  Ha, I ordered some of these things from Target, and added in three rolls of wrapping paper just to get that out of the way, and it was a decent price...they sent them in individual huge boxes.  ugh.  what a waste!  

Anyway, there were only 3 large packages of toilet paper on the shelf in the grocery store yesterday, and they were on sale for $8.88 for I think 20 rolls...I had to really think about how much we have, not totally sure, but my conscience wouldn't let me just buy one if we don't need one, because of those who might REALLY need it and won't be able to get it.  

Ah well, time to get making that pie crust...



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Good morning……….I had a chuckle at your comments about Sunny…………I try to live by my own words……with dogs, cats kids etc ….don’t start something you don’t want to continue. It was the only piece of advice I gave my girls when they had their first baby and they both said it was the best piece of advice. I’m not one to give advice really………I just mind my own business ☺️☺️ I bought my 2 dogs new beds a while ago for the living room and they love them. They have always had beds in here, but they do need to be replaced every now and then 😬😬 Our dogs have never been allowed on the furniture, bed etc, but that’s what works for us. Everyone is different.

You are such a busy lady Della, you put me to shame. I’m wondering if your vehicle has been fixed yet? Char’s hair looks really lovely 😊 I’m off to Costco on Tuesday and will have a look around there to see what I need to ‘hoard’ We don’t seem to have been affected by shortages here yet, but it could come eventually. I buy all my meat from a local butcher who buys from local farmers….I always try to support local or at least Canadian. Sometimes that is hard. Chicken Pot Pie sounds yummy 🤤

Have a wonderful day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Carol said...

Oh I love her new cut! I am always thinking of ways that I might be able to gain some extra supplies for winter without completely hoarding things. I am attempting to get rid of things that I have kept but truly don't love.

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, that is the best advice, I word it, "Start as you mean to go on!" I'll just say this: it was NOT ME who let those pups on the furniture. Rosie-the-sheepdog was never allowed on it. But when we got Suri as a sweet little Lab puppy, Paul insisted she be allowed to cuddle with him. I fussed about it, but he was so happy, I just dropped it. So fast forward to two big giant couch hogs, and here we are. The car is still in the shop, waiting for parts. "Hoard"-ing makes me sad, because then people who have no means to stock up don't get what they need, and I don't want to do that. So I'm trying to gather little by little, and only things we will actually consume. Right after I wrote this post, one of our friends pulled into the driveway with three boxes of food from a friend of a friend....cans of tomato sauce, Mac&cheese, some papayas, and lettuces...they were cleaning out a camp, and it's all still in date. (I am allergic to tropical fruit, but I did cut up a papaya for Camille...)
Carol, I like Char's hair too. And cleaning things out feels so good....

Terri D said...

Cute haircut for sure! Still not sure I could keep up with you, my friend. On the go and such a servant's heart. Love you!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Terri, you are so sweet, thank you, and yes, Miss Char looks too cute!

Linda said...

Gosh, I want to be like the dog, LOLOLOLOL. Oh sweetie, don't even get me going on the inflation and such. No sooner than I loaded the paper shelves up yesterday, they were gone (toilet paper and napkins etc.) We were just discussing inflation...I simply don't know how we will handle it...everything is gone up...sigh.