summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, February 6, 2024

once upon a time...

Life is just a series of stories, isn't it?  Most of them aren't mine to tell though, so meh.  

Yesterday, ahh the pool.  I am so very thankful I am able to go to water aerobics, it feels so nice, and the older people in the class are friendly and sincere.  Sometimes we chat while we move, and the class goes by so fast!  The second part is deep water workout, I don't use a floaty noodle, because I float, ha, and I really like to get more benefit from the movement.  Then into the cold locker room, always feels so cold after the warmth of the pool room...but a hot shower, ahhh.  

Home...no time to sit around, because I had the idea to make apple muffins.  Crumble topping, chopped apples, lots of cinnamon, pumpkin pie spices, cardamom....it made me want something yummy too, so I made a batch of low sugar molasses cookies, but never baked them until evening.  



 The aroma these imparted, oh dear...anyway, then Kathryn arrived with Achilles, Rhys, and Jamison, and Grace with Grant, Ruth, and Maeve.  Grace had to leave for an appointment, so Kathryn and I held down the fort.

Ruth, with princess stickers, Kathryn playing Jenga with Rhys, Achilles, Grant...Ruth thought it was fun to run over and knock down the tower, there's always one, isn't there?  We were trying to keep the noise level down, because Sonja had worked two nights in a row and was sleeping, she had to work last night too, so she needed to sleep.  She didn't sleep very well, turns out.  I told the kids if they cried, they had to cry quietly because she was sleeping, but they didn't listen, ha.  
Jamie was cruising around in the walker.
It's a cool walker, the seat spins around in all directions, he likes it.  (Marketplace, $15, like new).  

Rhys
Maeve
Ruth, Grandpa, Grant, and some Bugs Bunny.  I made popcorn for them:)

Dinner:  I cubed up a six pound package of chicken breast, marinated it in lime juice, honey, olive oil, paprika, chili powder, salt and pepper, onion and garlic...after a few hours, I added a mixture of flour and a little bit of baking powder with salt and pepper, tossed it all around, then put it on two cookies sheets with olive oil, and roasted in a 450 oven.  I cut up green peppers and onions, stir fried those with broccoli, made a pan of jasmine rice, then the sauce:  butter, ginger, half a bottle of orange stir fry sauce from Target, water, some orange marmalade....bubbled that up in a pan, and added it to the chicken and veggies in the wok...it was really good.  

The cookies were baked in the quiet after everyone left, around 8:30.  It's a simple recipe, and quite yummy.   

Recipe from Oh Sweet Mercy, The Sweet Things In Life).   I used like a tablespoon of honey, then granulated monk fruit, to make less than half cup.  The spices,  a combo of pumpkin pie spices, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, to total OVER two tablespoons, because I like a spicy cookie.  Then the molasses, I used a tablespoon instead of teaspoon.  Are they excellent?  Well, no, but they're good.  I find baking them for four or five minutes at 340, then flipping them over and baking for another three or so works best.  The first batch burnt, but they still tasted so good.  

During church, did I really turn around and snap a pic?  Well, wouldn't you?  Ben and Ashley and Declan were enjoying little baby Blythe (Margaret and Adrian's baby)...so cute.  
Jamison with Aunt Evelyn
We have to take a pic, or it didn't happen!  Camille behind Jamie, Evelyn, Char, friend Amanda with the chocolate milk, me, Sonja in front, Kathryn in the back, and Oscar with his cup that says "Austin", I guess his name isn't so common here?  This was Sunday afternoon...

Anyway.  Saturday evening, Emily and Mariel came over with dinner, chili verde, and I can't remember if I already told you this or not, just like in Real Life.  I know Mom, you TOLD me this already.  Well I can't help it if I can't remember who I told what to!  

Anyway, we had a nice pleasant visit with the older girls.  I had made a huge-0 pan of fudge, because the younger kids clamored for it, but one isn't eating chocolate right now, and the other can't eat dairy, although she did have a small taste.  

This fine day, it's sunny and gorgeous, and I need some groceries.  I'm thinking to go to the thrift store, too, as it's 25% off day for Old People.  I don't need anything but it's fun to go and browse.  I need to make a meal plan.  I tell you, it's harder now than when the kids were all younger, because I never know who is going to be here for dinner.  Well, not harder, just different.  

The girls need their passports renewed, and since they are under 18, we can't just renew them online, we have to go in and do them all over again.   We're also planning a nice playground trip for Thursday, as it will be a beautiful Fake Spring day here in the northeast.  I really hope the trees don't get fooled into budding too early, then when Real Winter comes roaring back, destruction.  

I stayed up too late last night, finished A Ladder of Years, Anne Tyler.   Morning comes early for those who read into the night.  ugh.  

Have a really nice Tuesday, and be thankful!  





2 comments:

Mari said...

Oooh! Those babies are just so cute!
Love the marketplace walker for $15. :)
Your chicken recipe sounds so good. I never thought of cubing and oven roasting it, but now I need to try it.
Have a great day!

Terri D said...

I love the photos of your kiddos! Your house must always smell like a 5-star restaurant/bakery. Makes my mouth water. Thanks for sharing the love with us!!