summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, February 29, 2024

SNOW DAY!!!!

 Oh, the fun and excitement!   Our warm rainy weather yesterday was turning windier and the temps were rapidly dropping from the sixties to the thirties, then into the twenties, with snow forecast: 

We live in the dark blue area...the bands of snow from Lake Ontario can vary north or south with the wind changes, but it's freaky how you get such differing amounts of snow.  

Our power went out last evening, after dinner thankfully.  We have no water when the power is out, so I couldn't clean up dinner.  That sounds wonderful, but I don't like leaving it.  We do have jugs of "town" water, Paul fills them up at the public spigot.  Town people say their water is mineral-y, it's amazing compared to the irony well water we have here.  Anyway.  Camille lit the stove (I LOVE having a gas stove!), put on the kettle, and made some tea in the dark.  We had candles, and it was rather fun.  We went to bed early, then in the wee hours, the power came back on.  For those of us who sleep with white noise, the fans turning back on was comforting, and all was right in the world.  

I woke up to a text from Miss Char, SNOW DAY!!!!  Oh, she had wanted one so badly.  I told Cam yesterday that I couldn't wait until Char got home from school so I could get her going about maybe getting a snow day...Charlotte came in the door saying that everyone at school was really hoping...so it was a nice gift.  The snow was heavy at times, with wind...Jon took this pic on his way to work:

When you can barely see the road, not fun.

It cleared up enough this fine day for us to venture out and about.  I had to get a birthday gift for Molly, and Sonja needed a few things, as she's going to Norway on Monday...

The snow is pretty...this was in the small town where Emily lives, a few miles away.
The way home from shopping...

Digging out....
This morning, out the front window...no wonder it felt so cozy in here.

I did make my keto chocolate chip cookies.  The recipe was from ketofocus:

This is the basic recipe, stirring up the dry ingredients, and adding the wet ones (first beating the butter, adding the "sugar", then the egg, vanilla, heavy cream).  I cannot leave well enough alone, so I used only half cup of sweetener, a mix of golden Lakanto monk fruit sweetener, and the white Lakanto, but then added a teaspoon of honey...so they're not technically "keto", but still a better option.  I used Lilly's sugar free chocolate chips, and some regular Aldi brand mini chocolate chips.  My favorite addition though was chopped pecans, toasted up on a dry frying pan, then I added some olive oil...I mixed those into the batter and they gave the cookies so much crunch and flavor!  I formed thirty small cookie balls and refrigerated them for an hour, baked one sheet at a time in a 325 oven, for 7 minutes, then flipped the cookies and baked for four more...then maybe one more...almond flour things burn more quickly, and although these look uglier, they baked up superbly.  I strongly recommend this cookie recipe, I loved them.

Camille trying to get some work done, Old Kitty purring and settling in...
Orange Guy jumped up for some attention too.

We went to Chipotle while out and about today.  I don't much like getting food out, as I can make better and cheaper, but the girls were hungry and oh well...it was pretty good.  I still have half in the refrigerator.  No one is hungry for dinner, of the girls anyway, so I made four burgers for Paul and Jonathan.  :)

Tomorrow I have to miss the pool to babysit, which I don't like doing.  Missing the pool, that is.  It's so healing and soothing and therapeutic.  So, I am going to try to fit in in later in the day.  Our flooring trim is being delivered tomorrow too, so it will have to be painted before installation.  You KNOW how awful it is to paint floor trim AFTER it's put in, ugh.  I'm just trying to figure out where we will find room to paint it inside the house without making a mess...

Ah well...have a really good evening!


2 comments:

Mari said...

Oooh - you really got hit! We got snowed on too, but not nearly that much. Hooray for snow days!
Have fun painting. It's such a pain, but so much better to do it before it gets put in.

Terri D said...

That snow looks wicked and so cold!! Glad you have a gas stove to keep the house warmer when the power goes out. I grew up in Ohio. We had gas heat as well and it sure was nice on those stormy cold nights. The cookies sound good. Stay warm and safe!