summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, February 24, 2024

rude, rude, rude!

Have you ever read an article about a big family?  Did you read the comments?  My goodness, I don't know why I did, so crass and disgusting.  I know there are people out there who hide behind their keyboards and say awful things, but who are they?  Do they look normal in the grocery store?  Do they even give you the cart free at Aldi, and smile at your grandkids?  What makes them so hateful?  Are they seriously so mean just online, and nice in real life?  Or are they horrible ogres who live somewhere far far away?   

I went adventuring today with my friend Annetta.  Ollies, where I bought chocolate covered almonds for Charlotte Claire, and Mallo Cups for Camille, and hot and spicy cashews for Paul, and Lily's sugar free chocolate chips for me.  I bought some nice coloring books for Activity Club, and a nice tablecloth.  Then to a bargain warehouse, which buys entire truckloads from Amazon, where I bought Mariel a birthday present....a HydroFlask cooler.  

Then to Walmart, where I bought two $3 shirts, some sugar free whipped cream, and a few clothes for the grandkids.

We got some lunch, solved the world's problems, then headed home in the dark chilly rain.  

Home...ah, home.  I decided to call my sister, so with a nice big hot cup of coffee, I headed to the guest room to talk to her while the girls watched The Pirates of The Caribbean.   Dinner:  the girls had left early to do a cleaning job to earn money, so they ate random things as they went out the door, but weren't hungry because they must have had some good snacks earlier.  So, I made some burgers...then decided I really wanted scrambled eggs, and sausages...so no burger for me.  Then some Greek yogurt with a few fresh blueberries and some sugar free whipped cream.  

The kitty cat did not wake me up last night, and Paul got up early to go to the gym.  Somehow I fell back to sleep, and slept until 7:24!  Char is on school break, so I don't have to get up before seven this week.  A good night's sleep is delicious, isn't it?  Elusive and rare, and amazing.

So to tell a story without telling a story, I recently had my feelings hurt.  It was not a huge-0 deal, but I did not like it one little bit.  Here's the thing, in THEORY, I do not care what people think of me, and I will NOT get offended.  In REALITY, sometimes life sneaks up on you and someone says something, maybe someone else agrees with them, and mortally wounded.  nobody likes me.  No, it wasn't that bad.  But later, the thoughts swirl around, and perhaps a root of bitterness would like to come in and set up camp.  We all know what a terrible idea that is though!  I had a sudden flash of how absolutely ugly it is to be offended.  Let.  It.  Go.  Forgive, and you will be forgiven.  All those good things.  A chance to put them in to practice!  Oh, stubborn, proud me, be humble and find peace!  

Life is a series of trials, mostly small ones, testings of our faith.  

And, I wrote this post a few days ago.  I went to the pool twice yesterday, once for water aerobics, then in the afternoon with Char and Cam, and Achilles, Rhys, and Jamie.  We met Ben and Ashley there with Anya, Elise, and Declan.  Forty minutes went by fast, but little ones don't tend to last too long in the pool, Rhys was getting cold.  Getting them all dressed was a breeze, because Char, Cam, and I each had one child to help...we picked up pizza and wings on the way home, and settled in for the evening.  Kathryn and Darius were out together, so we were holding down the fort.

Stories and silly nonsense and then brushing teeth and saying their prayers, they went to bed so nicely for us.  I stayed up too late and woke up too early, but I'm not complaining.  I could have gone back to sleep.  I wanted to go with Paul to get supplies to do our stairs, but he left when I was in the bathroom, dang it, I didn't tell him I wanted to go.  The girls are going to a girls' tea party/gathering/volleyball, fun sleepover thing with some friends from Toronto, Jon is going to the farm show with Ben, Adrian, Darius, and lots of little kids.  

I am having company for dinner, so I should get busy and clean up the house....I'm not positive what we're having with our steak yet, because yesterday I had a very tight schedule.  I had to buy a whole list of stuff for the girls' weekend (my budget was $150, and I spent $149.23, and no, I didn't use a calculator, just estimated while I threw things in the cart...). Miss Camille was out and about with me, she wanted to go to Marshall's to look for something, and she kindly agreed we should go to the dollar store too.  By the time we got home, it was time to go to watch the kids at Kathryn's.  It was too challenging for me to plan for the dinner at the same time as getting everything on that list.  I did buy strip steaks though, and I have blueberries, strawberries, and Brussel sprouts...and potatoes.  So we'll be fine, don't you think?  I am thinking to make something sinfully chocolate for dessert....

Is my blog stuck in a boring rut?  Sometimes it's joyful for me to write, but sometimes it's a chore to navigate what's my business to tell about, and what's not.  It overlaps, of course.  Things that pertain to me, and effect me, often are personal to others.  

Winter came back for a visit, it's like 16 degrees out.  
Yesterday was absolutely glorious.  Sunny and in the low fifties.  Yes, I did manage fifteen or twenty minutes on the deck in my sundress, in my tight schedule ha.  I was almost glad when the clouds rolled in and the wind picked up, brrr, because I had to move it move it.  Spring and warmth, ahh, cannot wait.  

Ah well...time to mosey out to the kitchen and make some decisions on dinner and dessert...have a really nice day!




12 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

Yes we can all get our feelings crushed at some time and harbouring bitterness only hurts us and quite often…..almost always…the person has no idea you were hurt. I know from experience. Sometimes it’s better to hold our tongue and be the better person and not snap something back you mostly regret. 🥰

You must have had fun at the pool with all the little ones! I hope your supper is good. I’m off to a session today for Therapy Dogs. We are testing temperaments, behaviours etc. it should be fun. They think because I’ve had lots of experience with our two dogs (they ere just GREAT therapy dogs) So we’ll see how it goes. It’s all day so I will be bagged when I get home.

Have a really lovely day Della! 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Mari said...

I don't understand why people think it's ok to just make such rude comments on the internet. You are right, they can be brutal. And I know it can hurt feelings and it's hard to let it go and forgive.
I'm sorry. You are a good wife, mom, grandma. The people who know you well love you and know the truth!

Jan said...

Your blog is not boring! I love reading about the everyday things-shopping, grandkids, home and your faith! These are the things that matter!

Joybells said...

I'm sorry I didn't get the chance to see the rude comments, so I can be equally outraged! LOL! Don't let them get into your head, Della. Don't let them. God creates life, not us, and He entrusted you with 16 beautiful souls. That's a lot of responsibility, and a lot of blessing.

I am amazed at your perfect in-budget finish!! I hope the sinfully chocolate dessert was delicious. I'm not very good at desserts (I don't make them, because I end up eating too much of them) but it's always fun to see what other people do. That chocolate cake the other day, wow.

Today was sunny and almost 60 degrees! We spent it outdoors, first cleaning up the yard, and then my girls and I made daisy chains at the park. It was glorious and summer-like. Which is good, b/c it's supposed to rain for the entire week, starting tomorrow. But I feel like we made the most of the good weather.

Have a wonderful evening!

Joy from Salem

Terri D said...

Sending you some love and hugs from Florida!!

Linda said...

I understand about the feelings...my supervisor at work is the wife to the friend who we lived with when we came back to Florida...well...she has been awful snappy lately (we are under immense pressure at work)--needless to say, out of the blue she told me it was about time to get over Liam's passing...wow, it floored me...and I left her office...she later apologized profusely ...anyways, I need to put my big girl panties on and walk on. I pray she never feels the pain of losing a child...just saying....

I hope you have a beautiful day, Della...smiles.

Maureen said...

I will never understand the need to leave horrible comments. People are certainly entitled to have opinions but I'm not certain every opinion is worth sharing )and yes, I recognize that there is a certain irony to me saying that as I am sharing mine!) But I guess I try to go back to that old adage of my childhood when my parents drilled into me that "If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all" and I think that should generally hold true when it comes to most comments!

I certainly hope you have a lovely day! You always seem to look for the positive!

Marilyn said...

Hi again…… I meant to say that yes people can be so unkind and rude, especially when they are able to hide behind a keyboard 🙁 You just have to let it roll off your back Della. You know your story and besides it really is nobody’s business. You have an amazing family! 🥰

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

You guys are all so very kind. Linda, ouch. I'm glad she apologized, but oh dear. Hugs to you. Joy, I ended up making a pie instead...apple. It was pretty good!

michb said...

All of you are so sweet with beautiful blogs and children...no rude comments here;but i can understand and take a lesson to say something nice ..i love reading it all and take away warm feelings and good ideas to practice in my home...thanks and God bless.

Chrissy said...

I have found it fascinating following your family - In the UK my family of 4 kids is considered bigger than average and I have had surprised reaction but never rude ones. I really have enjoyed reading about your kids and grand kids and I have so many questions !!! But I know that it would be impolite to ask so I don't! (I'm trying to work out if it'd be 4 times as much as my budgets or if you have economy of scale haha!) People are weird but you guys are just full of love.

16 blessings'mom said...

Mich, :). Thank you.
Chrissy, glad you haven't had any rude reactions. Our kids used to get some awful ones from the kids on the bus. Anyway, if you have questions, you can ask! I don't think that's impolite, at all.