summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, February 9, 2009

doctor visits galore....

I had to take Sam and Margaret for check-ups this afternoon, and I opted not to take the younger ones with me. Charlotte Claire and Camille were in their naps, so it was easy to leave them here with Joseph, Aaron, and Mali.

Individual quality time with the kids is wonderful and necessary. I took them through McDonalds, since they missed afterschool snack, and Sam said he didn't eat lunch because it didn't look good. I only had four dollars and some change, so Margaret and I each had one thing, and Sam had two. He really likes McFood. Then to the dollar store so Margaret could buy 5 birthday presents for her friend. Her friend, Mel, is from a family with 14 kids. Then onto Walmart for milk and bananas, apples, and some $3 shirts for the girls. And Sam got some sneakers. He tried to bargain with me, and put the $20 sneakers back and buy a ten dollar game, and I said NO WAY. There is a difference between sneakers, which are a NEED, and a game, which is obviously a WANT. He argued that it would save me money. I thought the kid said his sneakers were getting too small? Well, he said, he could wear them a bit longer....ha. No. He is such a good boy, though. He really is. He told the dr. that he is thankful for doctors, and that he could live in a place where we have such good medical services.....Sam almost breaks my heart, he is so gentle of spirit. Oh, he can fight with his sisters, and argue with me. But he is so true, and good....

Margaret, she was not pleased at all to be going to the dr. for a check up at the ripe old age of 12. I cannot say any more about it, but she didn't like it very much. She was pretty pleased to pick out the presents for Mel, though.

Dealing with teenagers takes maturity and self-control, neither of which come natural to me. I really have to bite my tongue and humble myself to get along with them. And really respect them as people, not just demand that they respect me. I also need to listen to them. Little children are a joy, and babies are heavenly, but getting along well with the teenagers is just amazing. It can be so much fun.

I do not know why I am sitting here. I am tired. After getting home tonight and giving showers in my bathroom, while the kids who were waiting were rolling around and giggling in our bed with Camille, Charlotte Claire, and Jonathan.....then I made seven lunches, got out clothes for tomorrow. I had a bowl of cereal, then got Camille to bed, finally, and here I sit. I have to leave early tomorrow, since I realized that it takes almost 3 hours to get there. And Aaron keeps asking to drive. No. My nerves cannot take it. Not on the highway....no.

3 comments:

cheryl said...

I hope it goes well for Aaron's Dr. visit.. too bad you couldn't have gone last Tuesday when Bill went.. then perhaps I would have went, and we could have gotten a hotel room! At least the weather is quite nice. Have a safe trip.. tell the children I'm here in case they need me.

Cassandra said...

What you wrote about your Sam sounds just like mine, it must go with the name...
Good luck with Aarons doctors visit tomorrow, i hope it all turns out fine

KrustyLynn said...

Your sister stopped by my "blog" the other day! It was nice to meet her! She's just as lovely as you are--and I'm not just saying that because she's *right there*). :) Anyway, I'm still amazed at how you do it! You're a great mom!