summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Sunday, June 7, 2009

i almost missed a day!

I am up too late, and was going to go to bed, then I realized: I didn't write anything today! Today was such a good day, it can't go without being recognized.

We stayed home today. Paul was gone for a long time yesterday, and with the amount of work he puts into church work (he does financial stuff, and planning stuff, and general paperwork),and home maintenence (notice I didn't say home IMPROVEMENT?), he needs a day off once in a while.

The day started waaay to early for a girl (I mean 43 year old woman) like me who stays up into the wee hours on Saturday night....6:00 Camille was whining. I picked her up and rocked her and she went back into her little green bed and back to sleep. Then I heard the dreaded sound of Charlotte Claire's squeaky door opening. Rats. I went in there, and she had taken her diaper off and peed on the floor (I am not a psychiatrist, but me thinks she is copying the dog)(out of jealousy)....she had made herself a nice nest on the floor, and was talking loudly to her dollies...I had to sneak out to the living room for another diaper, and rats, the puppy heard me! I quickly diapered Miss C.C., tucked her back into her crib, and took bratty puppy outside. I then brought her in, fed her, played with her, brought her back outside and linked her leash to the tie-out line, and came back in. It was 7:30. I snuggled into the couch, on a chilly cloudy morning, and was just starting to doze when Sonja woke up. I told her to let me sleep, and she could go out and say hello to Rosie, but don't untie her!! Well that somehow translated to untie the dog and bring her in to run around and bark and wake up all the kids!!!

Anyway, after a nice breakfast of eggs and sausage and fried potatoes and toast and orange juice , we cleaned up, Kathryn and I sneaked into Charlotte Claire's room for some cleaning and organizing. We had that room so nice before we did the living room floor. Then, all the toys from the toy corner got put in there, and it got so messy again. So we sorted, and straightened, and two hours later, the room is all clean and nice. Kathryn is working hard helping me with some of these projects to earn a new bike.

Of couse the newly cleaned room is a magnet to all these kids who want a new and different place to play.....no sooner had they set up library/kitchen/school, than Charlotte Claire was ready for nap...they set up in the foyer instead....which was nice, because I made them sweep it first!

Anyway, I took a nap this afternoon from 4 until 6. Which is a total waste of good Sunday time, but I was deliriously tired, and everyone was taken care of, Paul was here, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity, since I do love sleep. I actually woke up at 5, thought, "Not bad, just one hour", and promptly fell back asleep for another hour. I guess it just caught up with me, all the late nights and early mornings. The old grey mare ain't what she used ta be.

And now the house is silent except for Rosie shifting and panting in her cage. Here are some of her good points, and some of the bad...

Good points:

1. She keeps her cage dry, except for when she sees me in the morning, sometimes she starts peeing.

2. She has NEVER pooped in the house or in her crate, which I hate to even mention, as I know I am bringing on a massive case of doggy diarrea.

3. She is soft and fuzzy and loves to be pet.

4. She doesn't mind a bath, or being brushed.

5. Charlotte Claire likes feeding her treats, but first tells her to SIT, and she does! (she is getting gentler with the kids)

6. She goes into her cage at night, and sleeps there until morning with no barking or whining.

Now, the bad things about her:

1. She pees on the floor every half hour or so sometimes, unless we are super diligent about bringing her out. Even asking her if she wants to go outside will prompt her to pee.

2. She stays around nicely if I take her off the leash unless the cat runs by. Or unless she feels like running over to the neighbors quick. She does not respond to her name when this happens, it is as if she has never heard it before in her life. As if she never came to us over and over when we train her and reward her with treats.

3. She still has to be watched very carefully around the kids. She likes to play, and when they run, she nips at them. She WILL stop when we shout NO BITE at her, but she has sharp teeth. (the kids are also learning how to stop running and get her to sit when she gets wild. (Rosie can go 0 - 60 in like 5 seconds)).

So, I guess she is a keeper!

2 comments:

Tereza said...

I was home today too with the last of the sick kids:) Got lots of cleaning up and laundry done!

Cassandra said...

I really want my own 'rosie', how can i talk joe into it ? lol She sounds (and looks) just gorgeous!

Cassandra xx