summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, June 11, 2009

my sister's seven

My sister has seven daughters. Her oldest and her youngest were born on this date, 26 and 16 years ago....so happy Birthday Kate and Audrey! Kate is married now, and she is a teacher, and is a beautiful and wonderful niece. She is also a cancer survivor, childhood leukemia. I cannot say enough good things about what a fine lady she is. Audrey, born 10 years to the day later, after a very scary pregnancy for my sister, was a miracle baby. She is also a wonderful girl. She is good friends with my kids, her cousins, and she has the best sense of humor. So HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY to these two fine girls!

I hate to admit this, but I let Kathryn, Evelyn, Suzanne, and Sonja stay home from school today. BAD MOM AWARD. They all had good reasons. Benjamin apparently told Kathryn if she stayed home he would play with her. She convinced me she had all her work caught up, so does Evelyn. Suze says her throat still hurts, she does seem to have a slight cold. Sonja WAS NOT going to go alone on the bus. No, not if her sisters were staying home. So, here we all are.

Jonny was playing with his Waffletown and train set yesterday, in his own little world....I heard him saying, "Mommy is driving the train, but she isn't as good a driver as daddy, so you have to be quiet so she can think..." hmm. Where did he get that?

We are going to Walmart today. We have good reasons. Suzanne has a disposable camera from the school year, her teacher requests they are developed ASAP. For Suzanne's sake, I would really like to comply. I also have some banking to do, and I would like to stop at the dollar store for some snacks. We are planning a big surprise for the kids for Saturday, and we need snacks for the van trip.

Wait, I can't leave and go to Walmart! I have to take Aaron and Mali to school at noontime today! This time of the year, there are state tests and such, and I have told them to write it all down for me, when I have to drive them.

I also have to take Benjamin to the city this afternoon to take care of some things. All the little details of life. When people find out how many kids we have, they say, "But the older ones help, I bet!" Yeah, they do help. But they are also their own people with their own things we have to help them deal with. They may not be as much "work" as little ones physically, but mentally....just paperwork, insurance, college apps, tickets, car repairs....right now, the truck is broken down, and Mirielle's car is running awfully. (Don't read this, Em!) (It is Emily's car, Mirielle is using it while she is gone....)

Well, the kids are doing all sorts of things, and I have to move again. I have been up for 3 hours, with not much to show for it but some kids in clean clothes and Camille with a nice fresh diaper, and full tummies. And of course Rosie has been out for several potty breaks, and is now resting in the yard.....for her morning nap. Hey, she wakes me up at dawn and then takes a morning nap - NO fair.

3 comments:

AUTISMOMMA said...

Do your children go to school year-round? Or if not, when do they get out? I'm just wondering because the schools here have always let out in May. My son has been done with preschool for two weeks now.

Cassandra said...

Happy birthday Audrey and Kate!
I love hearing about your sister Della, she leaves me such nice comments and words of advice (like you do ) I wish she had a blog of her own so i could get to know her a little better (of course i know she will probably read this so, Hi Cheryl :-) ) ....
And you dont get a bad mommy award
for letting them stay home, the way you love spending time with them gets you the good mommy award!

cheryl said...

I was going around today, saying to anyone who'd listen, or at least look like they were listening, "Well, 26 years ago right now I was...., and 16 years ago.. " you get the picture. At one point for the 16 years ago, I said that right about now they were coming through the hospital, after Katie's chemo treatment, and were visiting me, and then we saw little Audrey. I remember being just so thankful, thinking we'd both be going home in a few days, but of course that didn't happen. But, what does it matter now, they're both fine!! I will bring Aaron home tomorrow, I think Audrey said 11:40.