summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 2, 2010

28 years ago today....

But first, the weather.....here in New York state, in the path of the lake effect snow, weather seems to be "the" topic. The snow bands shift, and sometimes hit town worse, sometimes the city south of here. I looked at the radar map a bit ago, and our house is in the path of snow. Which the kids tease me about, they say I can just look out the window to see that. Rosie-the-bad-dog barked at the Fed-ex lady this morning, so I had to throw on some shoes, and go all the way down there to get the package....Rosie would not just come to me when I called her, no that would be to miraculous, she had to save me from the dangerous lady with the package. I think it might be my phone, but I can't open it because it has Emily's name on it. I, my friends, am going to prove to my kids that I am not a total technological idiot. I am going to learn to TEXT. Seriously, I finally figured out which button to push to answer my track phone. We have this new family phone plan, where each additional phone is only $10, so we have 5 phones now. We have unlimited texting, so I am going to drive them crazy, I'm sure. Anyway, I had to go out in the cold, and it is COLD.

With the Christmas tree gone, there is now a little free play space. I won't put the chair that goes there back for a while, they can play there. I took this yesterday, when Camille had her undies on.


Jonathan looks so cute in his polar bear jammies...he was changing batteries in his truck.

So, back to the title, 28 years ago today.....it was 1982. I was 16 1/2 years old, and I was staying with my cousins in a closeby city. It was a Saturday, and we were going to a nightclub/bar. The drinking age was 18 back then in this state. So I had to lie. And lie I did. Because back then, I was not converted. I was just a teenage girl, out with my cousins, having some fun. So the bouncer asked me for I.D., and I had it memorized....I told him unflinchingly my date of birth, with the year fudged by a few. I told him where I was from, and that I didn't plan on staying in town for a few days. He believed me. All this is relevant because.....that is the night I met Paul. My cousins and I were just standing around, looking. And I saw him, and I liked him. He was so cute. He had huge curly hair, a navy blue velour shirt, and a moon necklace. ha, it seems so funny now, that necklace. Anyway, I picked him out. We all picked someone out, but when we saw Paul go up to the bar, I noticed his shirt tag was hanging out. My cousin DARED me to go tuck in his tag. Now, I had not had anything to drink, we were just innocently standing around. So it was with a clear mind that I walked up to him and tucked his tag in. He had just bought two beers (wow, it WAS a long time ago, two Old Vienna splits for a buck!), and he offered me one, commenting on the tag tucking by saying, "That must've took alot of guts..." Then we talked, we read the same books, and I am telling you, I was smitten. Instantly. I had already been watching him, but talking to him..ooh. Then he asked me to dance, a slow song was on...."If I Could Fly, I'd Pick You Up, Take You Into The Night...." We looked into each others' eyes, and.....wow. Anyway, that was the beginning. He was in college, he was 19 almost 20, and I was in eleventh grade. I know, that was bad. He didn't ask how old I was, since he must have assumed that if I was in a bar, I must be 18.....anyway, we dated and I was head over heels, then a few years later, we both got converted.....I think how we met is interesting because in Ephesians 1, 4, it says that "He has chosen us in Him before the foundations of the world..."


Well, Camille is having a full-blown tantrum. Crying and crying....and saying, "I'm NOT having a fit!" She wanted milk in her bottle (yes, she still gets bottles.....buy hey, she is my baby!), but she did not want Kathryn to get it for her, for some reason that is a mystery to me but must make perfect sense to her. Kathryn got it anyway, and she will NOT take that bottle. Then to add insult to injury, I actually changed her diaper!!! wow. So she screams. That's the funny thing about two-year-olds, even when you try to do what they want, it is impossible. She demanded that bottle. Now, I would rather give her breakfast, but hey, I was trying to avoid crossing her already....sometimes they just want to be crossed, that's all there is to it.
Paul, Emily, Abigail, Mirielle, and Joseph are at the Carrier Dome today, doing fundraising work, and I am here with the other 12 plus three cousins. I think they are going to go out back sledding today. I would love to take them to the Chinese buffet, but two things: money, and driving the 15 passenger van in the snow.

3 comments:

cheryl said...

You are so lucky I did not know you were in a bar!! Although we would have had tons of fun if we were closer in age.. I guess God knew what He was doing!! (Once again..) Anyway, also once again, He knew that He would have you and Paul meet, and now we know the rest of the story. And for anyone who's curious..no, our daughters don't go out to bars.

Lisa said...

I loved the story of how you both met and it is very similar to how I met my husband. We met 19 years ago on 13 Jan, I had just turned 17 and I was out with a friend, (illegally) celebrating New Year in the pub. I would like to say we were both sober but we were a bit on the merry side! Not that it matters, here we are 19 years later with four children, two rabbits and a very naughty dog.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the bar story. :) It's interesting to see how it has all worked out. I love hearing how people got together, there are so many great stories.