summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 4, 2010

global warming???

Well, it just keeps snowing here. The high this week won't be above freezing, according to the forecast, one day possibly 29. Mostly, teens and single digits in the night. And more snow.






When Camille woke up during the night last night, a few things occurred to me.
1. Vacation is over. I had to get up in a few hours.
2. Rosie cannot just go out, I would need to take her on the leash.
3. My long and speedy treadmill sessions left my knees feeling like they were a couple of toothaches.
So, I got up this morning when Paul got up for work....only to find a two hour delay for the school kids!!! Oh, I would have loved to have stayed in bed.....but Rosie had to go out. So I hitched up her leash, and she was dancing around while I put the same boots on that I went into the snowbank in last night, and they were soaked. But Rosie couldn't wait for me to get other boots...so out we went. It was so quiet out there, with the snow still coming down. Rosie had to dance and prance and romp all around before she went pee...and then I brought her in. I don't know what I am going to do with her. She is a car chaser, and she isn't allowed...I wish we could just fence in the whole yard, so she could run and play and be safe. I am going to have Benjamin take her out a few times a day for me, she listens to him better if she starts chasing a car.
So the kids are all sleeping in, the older ones get on the bus at 9:30, and the younger ones at 10:30 because of the delay. We have so many miles of bus route in this district to clear for the buses.
Well, I must say that I am in awe of technology. My new phone, for example. I sort of see why people are so enamored with their cell phones. To be able to take a picture and send it to someone seems sort of magical. And texting IS nicer than making phone calls, just to let someone know something...it is like a step down from a call, less formal, one doesn't necessarily need a good reason to send a text message. At least that is the way it is around here. We have five new phones, and have been texting each other about everything. "Mom knows how to text?".....yes, my kids think I am stupid.
I hear Jonathan humming from his room. He annoys the heck out of his sisters by doing that when he wakes up. I wish he would just come quietly out in the morning. If I were to go in there right now and try to get him to come out here quietly, he would probably say, "What!? What am I doing?", and wake them up anyway.
So I'll just sit here. It was cold outside with Rosie, and now I am all comfy with my comforter over me and my coffee here.....yes, life is good.....but not without trials. I will not go so far as to say I am traumatized by the snowplow incident, nor will I say I had nighmares, but I kept waking up and remembering it. I do not think I will freak out every time I see a snowplow for the rest of my life, but it did scare the heck out of me. This morning when I was walking down the road with Rosie, I kept looking and listening, but it just now occurs to me: it is light out!! This morning, the plow driver would SEE me. Probably. Uh-oh.
Benjamin is on a very backwards schedule. He stays up all night and sleeps all day. Well, yesterday, he attempted to stay up all day to go to bed early and change things around. He fell into such a deep sleep on the couch, he could not wake up....so he was up all night again last night. He shoveled the driveway and paths this morning, and is now making a fire. He is going to try to stay up all day so he will be tired enough to sleep tonight. I think he has been suffering depression since his break-up with his girlfriend of 5 or so years. That and not having a job, it is not easy. I do worry about him.
Yes, I have older kids. And they help.
I get so antsy in the winter. I am glad for the treadmill, although I think I will go easy on it today. My goal is to lose some weight before my knees get too bad. So I have to preserve them. I would love to go out shopping today, but my other goal is to save some money. I want to take the kids on a mini-vacation again this year if I can. We had so much fun last year. It is a big deal to them, two days or not. Even though the things I purchase are cheap, it all adds up. The best way to save money is to stay home. I mean, I can go to a store, and having so many kids, I can always find something we "need"....
If I were a nice mommy, I would be out in the kitchen making a hot breakfast this morning....like French toast or something....but....Paul went to the store last night and got milk, so they will be glad to eat cereal.....I think.



No comments: