summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

snowy morning, again....

But no delay or snow day today. The second trip kids are all ready at the door, the first trip kids are gone. Abigail went out this morning too, she has an interview at a temp. agency. The kids have been extra fight-y/silly/temper-y this morning. After a long weekend, one would think they would be all rested up and happy. Jonathan is going through this "farts are the funniest thing ever" phase, he jokes about them and talks about them and makes the sound effects.

Our chore plan has failed. Mali has done her part, and Suzanne keeps vacuuming those stairs whether they need it or not. But some of the others didn't remember to do anything last night, therefore there are still pizza pans to be washed and the floor is NOT clean and swept. It's just that if they pitch in and help with the basics, especially because my older girls are going to be busy again, and gone, then I can do a little more of the deep organizing. It can take all day for me on my own, while taking care of the little ones, to get this place cleaned up. But when everyone helps, it is like a half hour project. So this morning I am looking at clutter on top of the dog cage, again. In our house, it is like one of the laws of the universe, like what goes up goes down, where there is a surface, stuff will get put. On the small bookcase, I don't allow anyone to put anything, but that did not stop Sam from putting his tin full of poker cards and chips there. And from here I see a water bottle on the top of my desk, where nothing goes but some nice candles, the change bowl, and a few pictures. ha. The kids have had the Elefun game going, and there are at least ten silky butterflies strewn around the floor. The area where they have been playing house has become a place to put things that no one knows where to put. And there are three comforters still in here from people who wanted to snuggle up.....I have been bad too, two coats of mine are on the couch, along with a load of darks that is NOT supposed to be on my couch. Mali's doggy slippers, my new 5lb. weights, a sit n'spin, a few diferent socks, a chewed up battery package (thanks Rosie)....all decorate my living room floor. It will only take a few minutes to pick it up....that's what I'm telling myself anyway.

So aside from the state of the house, which is normal, things aren't all sunshine and roses with all the kids. One of the girls has been a bit rebellious, and is painful. Not just that she is tending to choose things that I know will bring her heartbreak, it is that as she goes against her own conscience, she is becoming more cynical and just plain hard-hearted. I love her to pieces, and want her to choose the good, but as one can lead a horse to water, the same goes for a teenager. This new behavior does not sit well with one of her younger sisters, and they do a fair amount of fighting. This morning, as they were all waiting for the bus, I encouraged the rebellious one to have a good day and behave. She just grinned. Her sister made a comment to which she retorted, "You can just go to hell!", to which the younger sister replied, "Now THAT would be ironic...." We all burst out laughing. Even the rebellious one. See, the younger one has no tolerance for this behavior. She just makes these comments all the time and it does not help. I know for me, it is a crushing, and it has me on my knees in prayer to have a child seeking things that don't bring peace and happiness.

All these trials are good for me, although I would never choose them myself. I am glad that God knows what I need. His word and His way are true, no matter what happens. Through the trials I can become patient and more merciful and more humble. I am thankful for that, because left to my own inclinations, I would certainly become more demanding and more intolerant and just plain mad.

2 comments:

Enola said...

We have the fart and burp obsession going on at my house too. It doesn't help that my husband laughs at her....

Book Lover said...

Aww Della, the joys of parenting little boys and teenage girls. One is obssessed with farting and the other with her independence. I had a child that loved to make statements for their shock value. Just to see my reaction. Your daughter is just waiting on your responses. She'll make it through this and so will she:)

Blessings

Kim Chrisman