summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 5, 2010

if you want to have some fun....

go shopping with Mirielle, Joseph, Aaron, Mali, Samuel, and Margaret. They are 19, 18, 17, almost 16, 14, and 13. We went to their eye exam. Well, it was for four of them. Four new pair of glasses were ordered. Sam tired on the huge-o grampa glasses, and Joseph whined for these aviator style goggles. I signed all the papers, and left them there while I shopped with Mirielle and Margaret. I found a few shirts in Sears for $4.99, and a few for $1.99. Can't beat that. Then I found a new jean skirt for $19.99, which is expensive (even though it was regularly $50), but they are hard to find. I got Joseph a pair of sneakers, and Aaron a nice sweatshirt. I got Mali two pairs of pants and a shirt, and fleeces and matching pants for Charlotte Claire and Camille (only $2.99 each). I got Margaret a few things, and didn't spend overly much, since it was so cheap. (she found skirts for $1.97, and shirts for 97 cents)....

I had a frustrating experience in one store. I don't particularly like this store in the mall, but Mali found jeans there for $5, so I went in there with her. They had 70% off the clearance prices, so I picked out some costume jewelry for the little girls birthdays. For example, a ten dollar necklace marked down to three, then seventy percent off: 90 cents. So I got three or four things. The registers there don't display to the customer what things are ringing up, so I asked the girl if they were ringing up on sale. She said yes. After I paid, I checked my receipt. A set of bracelets marked $6, rang up $6. I showed it to the cashier. She said the bracelets must have been put with the clearance items mistakenly. I told her that I didn't want them. She said they have a no return policy on accessories. I told her I would not have spent that much money on them, they were in the wrong spot, and I had asked her if they were ringing up right, and she said they were. Nevertheless, she said they could not take them back. RRR. Okay, thank you, I said, as I walked out of there.. It isn't just the six bucks, it is the principal of the thing.

Anyway......then to the grocery store. Aaron had homework, and Joseph and Samuel had books to read, so they waited in the restaurant area while I shopped with the girls. We had fun fun fun. I got a good start on my present closet, with some 75% off toys....(ten count set of Matchbox cars, $3.74)....and then we bought the usual, bananas and salad stuff and carrots and canned veggies and beans and ground turkey and cookies and cat food and juice and eggs and milk and some veggie burgers for Mali.

Oh, things have changed since the days when all the kids were little. I just went out and got in the van, started it up to get it warm, and checked my receipt, while they loaded everything in. Nice. It wasn't too long ago they were all little, and yes, I took them all shopping by myself, all the time. I had to always nurse the baby in between stores....( I would do THAT again in a heartbeat!!)....today however, Emily was nice enough to stay home with the little girls who have colds. But I did miss them. When I tucked Charlotte Claire in, I assured her I am staying home tomorrow.....

The roads were snowy and it is so cold out there.....I know I have already said that, but....my shoes got soaked through in the deep snow, and made me chilly all day. I am still cold, but really looking forward to my electric blanket. Camille is still playing with her dolly, I need to get her settled into bed....

1 comment:

Lisa said...

I would not have been very happy about the price of the bracelet either!!! I don't think it is very good of them to not take it back when you hadn't even left the shop with it!!!

On a different note we had some soup tonight for tea, you had written about some you had made and I thought I would try it and it was lovely so thank you!