summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 8, 2011

among the worst noises that exist....

Is the noise of a child vomiting during the night. Or even worse, one hour after Mommy goes to bed, especially if that also happens to be DURING the night.

I shall spare the details, but my dear friend and room mate Miss Camille Anaya did tell me she had a tummy ache while I rocked her last night before bed. So I heard whimpering....I was getting up to see what was wrong with her, and then the gushing splashing sound, ugh, all over her new PillowPet....blah, I never know what to do first. I cleaned Miss Camille up and wrapped her in a big cozy towel while I took care of her bed and got her clean jammies...the only good part was that she just sat there with her big eyes, and was so so sweet about the whole thing. When she was clean and warm and her bed was clean and warm, I tucked her in with a barf-bowl, and she used it a few more times. When a child is big enough to hit the bowl, that child is a keeper.

Now one would never suspect this sweetie was ever sick. She went out to play in the snow, had cocoa, and is playing Barbies with the Kitty, aka Charlotte Claire....

The cocoa drinking is going on and on in here today...the bigger kids stayed outside for much longer. It is 26 degrees and sunny, which is ridiculously a "nice" day for around here in January.

And Mommy feels very zombie-ish, waking up so much last night. Miss Camille has a cold, also, and she kept sneezing last night, and each time she did, I got up and wiped her nose for her. She was so dear and sweet about the whole thing, I just kept telling her what a good girl she is....she sat with me for quite a while this morning....she really is my little friend.

The other day someone left a newborn baby in a dumpster in a village not far from here. The woman hasn't been apprehended yet, and the man who found the baby is said to be traumatized by it. I would have TAKEN that BABY!!! I don't even want to wonder what would make someone do something like that, because I don't know what that woman has gone through, so I don't want to get into all of that, but there IS a Safe Haven law in New York State, in which there are no criminal consequences for leaving a baby 5 days old or younger in a safe place such as a police or fire station, or a hospital. And it happens. Then those unwanted babies become blessings for families who gladly adopt them. Anyway, it is a heartache for me. I could never be a cop or an investigator, I would be a crying mess. Just thinking about that newborn being born and crying and instinctively needing warmth and security, then being left out in the single-digit freezing cold...how? why?

Oh well....

Things to do...like more laundry, thank you, Camille....

4 comments:

Tereza said...

I never understand such things either....I too would gladly take that baby...no matter how many I've already had!

Hope little one feels better soon:) Ashley is sick too...throws up once a day and her tummy aches....

Mike and Katie said...

My friend I were just talking about the disconnect between grieving for a baby lost at 20 weeks and babies who are aborted and how it all relates to the desensitization of the culture. The fact the so many people treat unborn babies like garbage logically extends to newborns too. What the difference? A few weeks or days. Ugh! Every baby is a blessing and there's no such thing as an unwanted baby. So sad.

Martha said...

"When a child is big enough to hit the bowl, that child is a keeper."

Oh, how funny! And true too!!!

Bring me the babies too. I will love them.

Rachel said...

"When a child is big enough to hit the bowl, that child is a keeper. "

if there was a contest for best line in a mommy blog this comment would win. You had me cracking up!

I hope Joseph and the bank situation worked out for him. I have been thinking about it today.

And the baby left outside in freezing weather just makes my empty arms ache. Send it my way, it would be loved and spoiled and cherished.