summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 27, 2011

sonja k. and me....

Sonja K. is a very special girl.(she is next to me in the header picture) She is eight years old, she is the fifth little girl in the Five Little Girls In A Row....and that may be why she acts somewhat like an only child, or a youngest child might...she puts up those fusses when she doesn't get her way, and whines about things. She doesn't exactly come out and ask for things, but she is a first-class hinter. So....today she stayed home AGAIN....she hasn't really been sick yet, but she has FELT sick. She is smart enough to know that I will not send her to school if she might be sick, and others here are sick...so. She stayed home again, today because she felt awful, and her throat hurt....

Fast forward to noontime....I decided that since Mirielle was here today, and Joseph was already home from class, I should go get the poor cat some food, some ginger ale for Charlotte Claire, and some half and half for our coffee. And some milk and eggs and chocolate chips and cereal and cheese and lunch meat and romaine and bananas...anyway, I took Miss Sonja K. with me. We had way too much fun. I hugged her and talked to her and told her what a sweetie she is. She helped me put things into the cart and enthusiastically approved the purchase of a big package of Oreos.

We went first to B.J's, then to Walmart, to get the gingerale. Sonja found a dress for herself for three dollars. I bought two different ones for Miss Charlotte Claire for kindergarten. I got bagels and bananas in there, too. At the register, the girl in front of me was adding her items up, adding a few at a time to make sure she didn't go over. She was babysitting twin two-year olds, they were sleeping in the cart. She was unloading very carefully so as not to wake them. She seemed very sweet, and I think she was pretty broke, judging by what she bought...and how she looked...which seems mean....I was thinking of a way to slip her ten bucks or so, but I had absolutely no cash. I was chatting with her, she finished up and I started my transaction...well, she realized that one of the twins was resting comfortably not only on her coat, but on the package of toilet paper she was buying....she wriggled it out from under the child, approached the register, and asked me to add it to my stuff and she would pay me the cash...it was only five dollars, so I told her , "Happy Birthday!", as I handed it to her....she tried to refuse, but I said, hey, nothing wrong with getting toilet paper for your birthday...she then said her birthday is actually in two weeks...."There you go then, Happy Birthday!" I was glad to be able to help her a little, and hopefully didn't embarrass her too much....

Mirielle made a pot of chicken potato corn soup today....so dinner is not a mystery tonight. I am thinking of making some biscuits to go with it...

There is so much to do around here. More than I can shake a stick at, as my mother-in-law would say. But it was so nice to get out with Sonja today, the weather snowy but not as freezing as it has been, it is 28 out. I shall get off this computer and get some things picked up and put away.....Evelyn is taking Camille out to play, and Jon is getting dressed to join them. Suzanne and Sonja are already out there. Samuel just decided to finish his homework later and go out and play with Rosie.

2 comments:

Mom said...

What a nice day! I love days when I get to take my little girl out with me by herself. It is so much fun. I can't believe how much we can talk about and she is only 3. I also love days when I get to do something nice for someone else. You had a twofer today!

Tereza said...

ITs so nice to slip in some special time with a child here and there...makes them feel so special..I can picture her as she delightedly chose the oreos and helped her mommy shop....drop by my blog to see our little "special time" today....I promise it will make you hungry too:) http://cookingandtales.blogspot.com