summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Saturday, January 15, 2011

sometimes I wonder....

I wonder about my son Benjamin...he is in the Army. I am afraid for him. I know he is going to end up in Afghanistan. I just know it. Is this just a streak of unbelief in God, or some ugly pessisism breaking through my usually optimistic outlook? Or is it because we watched part of Steven Spielburg's "The Pacific", last night? Or is it because the front page story of the local newspaper this morning features an article on the stress military families experience during deployment? Or because I know that is why the military is building up right now, to ship more and more soldiers over there?

Whatever the reason, I am trying to calm down right now. I wrote to Ben this morning, then picked up the newspaper, and blah and wah, I lost it. I am no help to him in this state of mind. God has been good to him, and watched over him all these years, He isn't going to stop now just because Mama is a wreck.

I am thankful for my children this morning. Jonathan has his Spiderman costume on, and he was telling the girls how strong he is...and Camille stood up on the bench at the table in her fuzzy blanket sleeper, scrunched her eyebrows so she looked like a muppet, and said, "I am strong, and YOU are BAD!" Then she and Charlotte Claire went into the bathroom and put two rolls of toilet paper in the sink and filled it up with water. I gave each of their hands a little spank. It seems like I can hear my mother's voice saying, "They are ASKING for it...." No, we never got beaten or even spanked...but we did get a little slap once in a while....and I must say I always thought it was well-deserved. My little girls did not like this little spank one little bit. I did not like it either. But timeouts and scoldings only go so far, apparently. They seem to wander into these messes every single day. I do think it is harder for me, the one who proclaims that I don't believe in spanking children, to actually spank them, than it is for them, although they were upset and surprised. My little girls are mostly good, they are like this little girl:

"There was a little girl,
who had a little curl,
right in the middle of her forehead,
when she was good,
she was very very good,
but when she was bad,
SHE WAS HORRID."

I do not know who authored this poem, but it describes my little girls quite accurately.

Right now, they have dry jammies on from the sink and toilet paper expedition, and have both Sit-nSpins in the livingroom, going around and around and singing. Camille's favorite word right now, unfortunately, is "poopie".

The Wii is going, no Saturday morning cartoons this morning, which is fine with me. I would much rather see a child playing Wii than parked in front of the television. Jonathan is obsessed these days with Nerf guns and keeping track of the foam bullets.

Today should be a good day. There is pizza dough in the 'fridge for dinner pizzas, and we are having soup and grilled cheese for lunch. Emily is coming over tonight and we are celebrating her 26th birthday, which is on the 18th. Way back when Emily Anne was born, .....

1. It was 1985, I was 19 years old, and we had been married for ten months and two weeks.

2. She was 8 pounds, 7 ounces.

3. Paul cried when she was born. I asked him if it was better than shooting a deer, and he said yes.

4. Emily was born two days after her due date. The labor was long, and the policy then was "stay in bed". And since I didn't know any better, I did.

5. During the contractions, which I took no painkillers for, I focused on the ceiling panels and thought about my father, and how much he loved the babies.

6. I threw a washcloth at Paul. I must have had a good reason, but I no longer remember what it was.

7. The doctor determined when I was ten centimeters that the baby was transverse, and that if she didn't turn and come down with the contractions, he was going to have to do a c-section, but first he would try forceps. They prepped me for a possible section, had me sign the papers, brought me to the delivery room, put me under, did a huge episiotomy, used the forceps to rotate and pull her out....(I am extremely thankful that the dr. was old and experienced with forceps, and took the chance to do this procedure. Because of litigation and liability, I don't believe that doctors do high or mid forceps deliveries anymore, or not so much anyways... If I had had a section, I don't believe I would have been able to have all these children).

8. I woke up to Paul sitting there crying....

9. I have no recollection of being moved to the recovery room, but all of the sudden I was waking up and had Emily in my arms. I was confused, and wondered why my fingers were black...it was the fingerprint ink. Paul was saying how nice it was to have a girl "first". I was like, "First? I cannot do this again!" ha. All I can say is HA.

10. It didn't take long to fall in love with my dimple-cheeked blue-eyed chub. She was our world. I remember one day when she was newborn, Paul came home from work and I swear I hadn't done anything other than rock and nurse and cuddle that baby who was Emily, all day long.

I won't embarass Emily or bore everyone by listing the details of her whole life, but I will say that she has always been a joy. She is way smarter than me, and independent and capable and she is a brilliant writer. She is a registered nurse, and is still taking college classes to become a nurse practioner or an administrator. She speaks Norwegian, and a little bit of French, and she has a wicked sense of humor. When she has days off, she spends them taking our little ones places, or having them to her apartment. She is her own person, yet she is wholeheartedly faithful to God. I love her so much, and when she stops over it is like sunshine coming into the house.

The kids want me to get off this computer, so I will.

9 comments:

Mom said...

You made me cry! What a beautiful gift for Emily. And please know that you are not alone in your prayers for Benjamin.

Martha said...

I remember well the "Little girl who had a little curl" poem as my parents recited it often when we were small children. My baby sister had curly hair at the time...

Prayers for you and Ben and Ashley. If the newspaper is too much for you, maybe you need to avoid it for a time. Yes, God is in control.

I love your Emily memories. Ah, that first baby! They are the ones we dream so much about, without distraction, before their arrival. I hadn't realized you were so young starting out too. I have no regrets having my children young.

Tereza said...

I will pray for you and your Ben!

It was so sweet to read of the early days with your Emily and your husband. Such sweet memories....I bet you had no idea you'd have 16!!!!

Thanks for being you!

Tereza said...

hey I was wondering...what are your favorite/recomended blogs?

16 blessings'mom said...

Bonnie and Martha and Tereza, it means so much to me knowing you are praying for Benjamin too! And Martha, I remember so clearly dreaming about Emily before she was born...I thought she was a boy, and I would name her Joel...what a surprise that was...but I remember being so wrapped up in that baby inside me I could hardly concentrate on anything else, it was just amazing and wonderful....not that it was less exciting for the rest, but I just didn't have as much time to daydream....and I have no regrets either.

16 blessings'mom said...

well...I should clarify...I have always found time to daydream.

Anonymous said...

Awww, this brought tears to my eyes. I too will say a prayer and lite a candle at church this evening for Ben.

Humble wife said...

hmm. I could not read past the part about your son and stress. Yes families carry a heavy burden, and praying helps, but a part of you feels somewhat hollow, waiting. While I have had my oldest on his own for 3 years, this is different- in a place that scares me to no end.

Perhaps I carry more worry, perhaps more stress. I don't know. My dad was killed in Vietnam 2 months before I was born...

My oldest is on a countdown to return to Drum. I am awaiting the day he is back in the states. Sigh...I could not comfort, as much as confirm that this is a heavy time.

I will close with this. I am the daughter of a soldier, the wife of a soldier(husband was in 6 years) sister of retired soldier(infantry) and the mom of a soldier. When we see the news, and hear of those who serve so that we can enjoy the lives we all have, we understand that someone needs to serve-in every generation. Why not our sons? If I ponder who, why not me and mine? Have I not enjoyed the comforts that this nation affords me? Have I not traveled to and fro without worry or stress in the nation as we are a country of laws? Have I watched a child cry in hunger or miss out on education because I am poor? No I have not, and I am ever so grateful to be an American- even understanding that sometimes an ultimate price is expected. We carry this quietly, those of us who understand this...and as the years pass, it is no less heavy, but it is one that makes me appreciate this nation ever so much more.

I apologize for such a long comment...I will pray for you and yours, as I understand.

Hugs from one mom to another. Thank God we both have sons who understand.

Jennifer

Cindy @ Marriedtothemilitary {dot} net said...

Thank ou for your comment on my blog. As I am sure you realized I am scared. It is nice to know that people are out there reading (and commenting). Sometimes I feel like a freak show because my blog will have 200 hits in a day and not one comment. It is like people are waiting for that "train wreck" but they don't care enough to say a wrord.

As for you son, I an not imagine. My oldest boy is only 9, but he wants to be "just like Dad" and it scares the heck out of me. I keep telling him that he does not want to be a soldier and that his Mom needs him close by her, not far away LOL. Think I can convince him? I am also grateful that by the time my husband retires hopefully our youngest will not be too influenced by the Army. A girl can hope can' she? I know it sounds silly, but I was with my husband before he joined the Army, and I will be with him until retirement, that is 20 years of worry. I don't want to spend another 20 doing the same thing with my sons, it literally might kill me ;-)

joining the service is very honorable, but I have to say, it is not for everyone. Heck, I am not even sure that being married to a soldier is right for me as I seem to be falling apart ALOT.

Anyway, I will pray for your son that he stays safe. If you keep keep my husband in your prayers too that would be wonderful.