summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 16, 2009

NOW it's global warming....

It is in the low eighties today......but 40% chance of thunderstorms. I think we are staying home...

Yesterday, we went to the pools at our church. We packed up to go to the beach, Kim and I and 8 of mine and 5 of hers...but decided on the pools instead. It was sort of relaxing, if one can possibly relax with a 3 year old in neck-deep water, thinking she can swim, and her younger sister with a floatie suit that helps her float, but doesn't really keep her face out of the water. So she played on the steps...but I could not assume she would stay there, so I had to watch Charlotte Claire, arm's length away, and watch Camille or hold her...which I did alot, hold her. I need to get some of those swim rings again, that have the inflatable tube built in to a suit. They work much better, but of course I would still have to watch them.....I did manage to swim a bit though, by having Kathryn and Evelyn hold the girls in the shallow water for me....I actually did a few handstands, and went underwater....I really like the water. That is one area that has been a bit of a sacrifice for me through the years, eking in those little swims while someone watches the baby...whatever baby I had....worth it, of course, but still. One of the hard parts.

Last night I bought over $600 worth of candy. Ringpops, bubble gum, Pushpops, Snickers, Hershey's, Reese's, LaffyTaffy, Airheads, TootsiePops....for our church's summer conference candy store. There will be hundreds of children there (lots of big families)...the conference is in the first part of August. I am doing the cookie-frosting activity on childrens' day....so I have been stocking up on frosting and sprinkles....fun stuff. Now, the fun part will be making sure my kids don't get into the candy. I didn't make it a point of showing it to them, though I was tempted to. Hopefully Abigail doesn't come home early, her room is now the Candy Room.

Yesterday.....I woke up, got Camille out of her little green bed, took her into the bathroom with me....she opens every drawer, grabs cotton swabs (ever since I had to take Joseph to the dr. with a ruptured eardrum from sticking one too far in his ear when he was a toddler (he came running to me screaming, with blood running from his ear), I have been very careful to keep them out of childrens' hands)...she tries putting toilet paper in the toilet, sucking on the toothpaste tube, you name it. I bring her out here, she poops and takes off her diaper.....oh, I am not complaining...just trying to make the point that I didn't just get up, and jump in the van and go to the pools. Nah, there is a lot of stuff I don't write on here, because who cares about a bowl of cereal getting knocked off the edge of the table? Or when Camille got up on the table and threw a mug and a glass, and only the mug broke? Or when Jon thought he was going to have some second breakfast while Evelyn-the-little-girl-who-stayed-up-too-late had her first, and his Corelle bowl fell and shattered? Markers and crayons and pens, I won't even go there. Add into this a 12 year old-going on 19...or so she thinks. She sometimes has a mind to be a blessing, but mostly if I want her help, I have to just make it what I call a "royal comand"....and the 11 year old and almost ten year old stay up way too late in the summer....then the next few always want to "do" something. Charlotte Claire has to go to obedience school. That's all there is too it. Actually, it occured to me that I need more time and patience with her. (the very things i don't possess) And Camille is a sweetie, but she likes to get into things....

Trying to fit in nice relaxing time with husband into all this...hmm. Not impossible, but difficult. I go and sit with him and we start to talk...someone starts to cry....or fight...or has a very important question. Or the phone rings.

Then there is the puppy. The great big overgrown puppy. She gets so excited when the kids go outside, she jumps on them and scares them. Her tail is wagging, she isn't being mean, but she wants to play. And they don't. She also needs time and patience. And I need to supervise them to make sure she doesn't get too rough. Sometimes I wish there was one me to take care of the kids, and another me to clean the bathroom and load the dishwasher and throw a load of laundry in.....and of course another me that can just sit at the computer and read good books....ha.

Our second pool liner arrived yesterday. I hope we get it installed soon. Then I hope the pool pump and all is in working order. It seems strange to not have swimming here be part of the summer. It is muggy and warm today, and Jon says we need to put those heaters in the windows (air conditioners)....we haven't had the need for them yet this year, really. Not need enough to drag them up from the basement and install them, anyway.

I might not stay home today. There is a small country store several miles from here, run by some Mennonites, a fabric store. They also sell some grocery items and some bulk foods...and they sell sprinkles. Sprinkles for cookies. Every kind you can think of, in little containers. Piggy sprinkles, school buses, footballs, fishies, teddy bears, princess crowns...these sprinkles are what make the cookie decorating thing at summer conference so much fun for the kids. And I need to stock up....so I am thinking of packing them (the kids)up and taking them on an adventure....there is a nice playground on the way.....hmm, or the way back.....hmm.....

4 comments:

Tereza said...

Thankyou so much for sharing the business of it all....I need to hear it cause my family is like that and I sometimes think maybe my family is the only one!!!....If you go read my "book review" post you'll see why I needed to read your post today...of a mom with 16 kids:):)

Karen said...

Sounds like here (with only 5 kids)! So glad I'm not alone!

AUTISMOMMA said...

Go, Jon! I didn't think Corelle was breakable....

$600 worth of candy. Wow....just wow! I'm not even sure I'd know where to put $600 worth of candy around here. Even with stuffing my face full of it, I wouldn't know where to put that much candy.

16 blessings'mom said...

I am going to go in Abigail's room and take pictures of the candy, but I have to sneak...I don't want a certain Charlotte Claire to know it is down there....