summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

today, I'm staying home....

Or so I think right now. Who knows what will come up today. I thought I would answer a few questions. First, the question ,"What on earth is a pram?"....A pram is a stroller, usually European, ususally with the large wheels and bouncy suspension. Of course they have models with smaller swivel wheels, but those usually are just strollers (or pushchairs).

Next question: "Are you Norwegian?"....No. The main hub of our church is in Norway, it is called Brunstad. It is a huge facility, and very nice. It is also rented out for events, which is why some of the kids go there for a year, to work there. Young people from all over the world go there to work, and they get to know each other, have good fellowship and lasting friendships. The program is called, "The A-Team", when they stay there for a year. That is what Emily is doing, and what Joseph is planning to do. The other kids are just there for the summer conference, which also welcomes people from all over the world, for meetings and fun. If you go to Brunstad.org, you can get a better idea of what the church is.

Next question was, "How do you afford this?" Well, this year, sending them all, is a once-in-a-lifetime deal. Of course Emily had the means to go herself, being a nurse, and Mirielle had the money for herself saved up, and is paying us back for Mali, seeing that she had trouble finding employment thus far, partly because she was leaving for most of the summer, how ironic, anyway....the boys: I recieved a small bit of money when my brother passed away. I did not even think about it, I found myself saying, "Boys, do you want to go to Brunstad this summer?"....you cannot even imagine how excited and happy they were. I was happy to make them happy...but it wasn't long before I started thinking about all the things I would like to have done with a few thousand dollars. Patio furniture? A t.v. cabinet instead of using the coffee table with baskets? Just having a bit of money for myself? But no, I think I did the right thing. Those boys will have so much fun together, with their sisters and cousins and friends. And I think it was a proper use for the money, which I cannot even think about without crying. I really don't even want it, if you know what I mean. Why....why? I still cannot fathom why Billy could do such a thing. I guess the heart of the matter is that I couldn't take that money and be happy spending it on me. So now it is gone, and I am content with that, and glad that I could bless the boys. Unless they do some serious working and saving this year, they won't be going again next year......

That is one of the things about blogging: how much do I tell? I don't want to portray that we are just rich, sending the kids off to Europe....I mean, Mirielle and Mali are going to France, but they are staying with friends in the church, and believe me, they won't be buying Herme' scarves or eating at 5 star restaurants. They are bringing granola bars...in fact, all the kids are loaded down with Ramen noodles and oatmeal packets.....poor Aaron, I guess the box of pancake mix broke open in his suitcase....(why did he NOT put it in a plastic bag? Do I have to do EVERYTHING?)...and the shampoo exploded in his other suitcase. The kids do have some money with them, to enjoy the European ice cream and chocolate, and eat a few meals out, and the girls certainly can go to a cafe and have a croissant, but nothing lavish. Ooh, I want to go! I suppose this is the epitome of living through one's children!

One little secret though: I am actually looking forward to spending a bit more time with Paul, since so many of the older ones are going off. These past few weeks, our house has been like Party Central every evening. They stay up so late, talking and laughing and carrying on....I certainly will miss them, but the thought of putting the younger ones to bed and actually having the living room to ourselves...( I don't know where Abigail fits into this plan, or Margaret, who is 12, or Kathryn, who is eleven......)

The kids are waking up now, on this fine morning. I had to get up early to take care of Miss Pee On The Floor. She keeps that cage dry, so I know she can do it. But she gets so excited, she pees.

Our pool liner did not come yet. I don't know when we will be swimming this year. The summer seems like a blank slate, and I like that.....

5 comments:

Martha said...

You always have a way of making me smile. Pancake mix in the suitcase... sounds like fun to me! I came home from New Mexico three years ago with two jars of green chile salsa. Wouldn't you know security decided to open one? What were they thinking? And why, oh why, didn't they put the cap back on tight? It looked as though someone had thrown up in my clothes. Ick!

I am staying home today too. (Unless I go up town to retrieve my van.) It is my plan to make a blueberry pie and use up some of that frozen fruit that is left from last year. Of course, this will never happen unless I can remove my back end from this comfy black chair and take my body into the kitchen...

Piper Paradise said...

I totall agree with Martha - you always make me smile.

Thanks for sharing the details about the money stuff. I was curious (or maybe just downright nosy?!). You are a good mama and those kids will enjoy the trip.

Have a fun day at home. We are planning on staying home too but with friends coming over, we might as well be out and about :-)

FLmom7 said...

You're such a good mom;-) That is sweet that you gave the boys the money so they could go on this trip.

I am starting to realize what you mean by being able to spend more time with your husband with the older ones out of the house...it does get harder when teens (and in your case, adult children) are up so late and all. It is nice to be able to put little kids to bed and have some alone time, just as husband and wife. Hope you are able to have some time together.

true blessings said...

Hi!Thanks for answering my pram question,gosh i feel so silly,those strollers are beautiful and so elegant. It's awesome that your kiddos were able to attend. I myself plan on going to Europe one day,someday....okay I love your stories! you should give us a video house tour.

cheryl said...

Hey, you forgot about the other money saver: Joe's duvet cover! (2 sheets sewn together!) My girls took a whole suitcase full of deeply discounted, easy to make food. I told them to leave what they don't eat with someone, and fill that space with a pram!! But, we both know they won't find one, and a cheap one at that..
My girls paid for their tickets/spending (or not)money with their scholarships from college, and also some of their Uncle's money. (and a little earned $) I agree, it is a wonderful opportunity, and they'll come back even more wholehearted and they'll share their experiences with the ones who couldn't travel. And I think Billy would have agreed, too.
PS.. too bad about the pancake mix and shampoo!!
And Martha.. what WERE they thinking.. apparently they weren't!!