summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

beautiful morning....

Tomorrow I shall try to remember to bring my camera out in the morning when I take Rosie for her little walk. Although I doubt I can capture it...the freshness and promise of the morning. I cannot explain how much it raised my spirits this morning....the moon was out, high in the sky over the road. The fog was still hovering over the backyard, the air is warm and springlike. As I stood there waiting for Rosie to pee, I had this realization of how lucky and blessed I am. I just finished reading this book, (Atonement, by Ian McEwan) ....I won't give away any secrets about the book, if you are a reader, and want to be transported to another time and be absorbed in a story, read this book. Anyway, I just realized standing there how much I have been given. And anyone who reads their bible knows that it is written that to whom much is given, much will be required. I decided to live my life, come what may, for God. To be humble and flexible and merciful and listen for what He has to say to me. Anyway, my knee had been really hurting for several days, so poor Rosie has been getting shortchanged on our little walks, but this morning I took her further down the road. Then, rrr, the bus came. Rats. The first trip bus. Now, when a car starts coming down the road, Miss Rosie sits automatically. But when it gets nearer us, and starts to pass, she can't stand it and she jumps up and tries to chase it, and I have to make her sit again. I also try to turn her head, manually, to let her know it isn't her business....but anyway, the school bus is a different matter. No sitting for her, just jumping and going in circles. Plus I have this policy not to be outside when the bus comes, especially the older kids' bus. Not because they have said anything, the older kids, but because I don't want to embarrass them.....see, in the morning, I usually still have my long tangly hair down, and in my skirt, I probably look like a crazy dog lady. So when the bus came down the road, I hid behind a bush. I had to stay there 'til it drove away. I somehow made Rosie sit for the whole time, it drove her crazy. She would LOVE to chase that big monster that takes the kids away.

So Suzanne is staying home today. Fever: 99.9. Not too bad, but obviously the start of something. She told me her cheeks felt hot yesterday and she had a bad headache....so she went back to bed....

Jonathan brought his October snack today. I had three packages of school bus cookies, Pillsbury ready-to-bake, from the dollar store, in the 'fridge. I baked them last night and packed them up for him to take today. He was so excited. He got to stay up a little late to sample the extras......

Paul tucked Miss Camille in last night, because I was baking the cookies. She is hilarious. He said he held her in front of the mirror and she sang a little made-up song about her fingers, counting them and making them dance.....he said it was "hysterical". He needs to put her to bed more often, me thinks.

Our kids didn't always do Trick or Treating. In fact, they always skipped school on Halloween Party Day. For years....then we started letting them go....but there were always some along the way who didn't want to, so they didn't have to. This year, we decided to give them the option of staying home, and they eagerly agreed to skip. Parents are invited to the parade, and have to send in notes that morning if they want to bring the kids home, but have to also go to each class room and sign the kids out....it sounds like mayhem, and that is coming from me!

So we are going to have our own little fun on Friday. I am thinking the big library, then to the grocery store for lunch...it has a little restaurant area.....cheap, and fun for them....

Tomorrow I have to take Mali to the dentist. Thursday I have to take Aaron to the airport. He is going to a brother's conference in Norway until Tuesday. No, we didn't pay for his plane ticket. He paid for half and borrowed half from his sister, but he is paying her back. He is very responsible in things like that. I am glad that he is so apprehended of the God's word that he wants to be where the encouragement and help are, especially at such a young age.

And today, I am supposed to go and pick up some firewood with Benjamin. The lady who used to deliver a whole dumptruck full of it for under two hundred bucks has retired. Now we have to try a different place.....ugh, wood, winter...blah. I like the softly falling snow, and even the coziness of the whipping wind, WHEN I STAY HOME. But even then, I can't help worrying a bit about my daughters commuting to the city, and Paul driving to work, and my nieces driving to college.....snowy icy roads....blah.

But today is nice. It is supposed to be in the seventies here in New York state. The sun is shining, some of the trees are already bare, some have dark yellow or red leaves left...there are plenty in our yard on the ground. We don't believe in raking....ha. Seriously, is there a bigger waste of time and energy? Well, the kids rake them up into piles for jumping. That is about the extent of it.

27 days until Benjamin leaves for the Army. He is very lucky, in a way, because he goes in, has processing for a week, a few weeks of basic training, then is back home for Christmas. Then back to finish basic......then off to Medic school.....then who knows. Well, of course God knows. That is my comfort.

Suzanne is making a rice bag for her teacher, with soft grey flannel fabric. Sometimes the kids have made rice bags out of a large sock, just tying the top, then putting it in the microwave, then using it for cold feet or cramps or aches and pains, or just to walk around with it around their neck because it warms them up in the wintertime.....but Suze is making a nice one.

Rosie is giving me "the look". It says, "I really really want to go out again. I probably won't pee, but I really NEED to go out." She does this every morning. She walks over and looks at the door, then at me, then she sighs and lies down.....

So on with my day now.....

No comments: