summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

here i sit...

Suzanne stayed home today. I think she is coming down with a cold, but perhaps she just had a headache last night from jumping into the deep end of the pool over and over again. In any case, she is playing school with Charlotte Claire, and Camille is still sleeping. All of the other kids went to school, so it is quiet in here.

I am going on an adventure today. Abigail works in the big city, and wants to go look at a few cars. So Emily, who has a class in the big city, is going to drop me off at Abigail's office so I can ride with her to look at cars. Kathryn is coming with me. I would like to pick Jonathan up early and take him. He gets so absolutely offended when he doesn't get to go car shopping. His little brain is like an encyclopedia of car facts.

Spending a little time with Em, then some time with Ab, sounds good to me!

We only have an inch of milk left in the gallon. It is like the loaves and the fishes, it seemed like we had only an inch last night when I asked everyone to please not use too much on their cereal. Camille is addicted to cereal. Yesterday, she had first cereal, then a few hours later, second cereal. Then I made some nice lunch, which she did not touch (tomato basil fajita-style wraps, browned in a small bit of oil with mozzarella cheese, red and green peppers and tomatoes on top). About an hour later, she asked for more cereal. She doesn't like apples anymore, she says they are made of glass. whatever. I am glad she can have at least first cereal today.

Margaret and Aaron made Molten Lava chocolate cakes last night. The house smelled yummy. Then I saw that they had made six of them. Six large muffin sized cakes. They cut them up and shared them, and everyone who wanted them got a taste. So it worked out. I would have at least tripled the recipe.

Jonathan is back in school today, but the living room reflects that he has spent some time here. I mopped the floor around his car collection yesterday, that was before the whole set of Waffletown blocks were brought out. They did all get picked up and put in the bins last evening, but they are still in here, the cars and trucks overflowing onto the floor. I am only buying WII games this year for Christmas. We have enough toys. Well, almost enough.

So I went to the dr the other day, mostly because I want to get a mammogram. My mother had breast cancer in her forties, which she survived (which was quite monumental, she was diagnosed in 1981, I believe, and it had spread to her lymph nodes...she had two masectomies, and lost a lot of muscle in her arms. I remember the dr. telling her that if she was still alive and kicking five years out, she was in the clear....I was only in eleventh grade, and I thought she was going to die. The chemo back then was so harsh, she was so sick, but she never complained. I took the bus downtown with her sometimes to get her treatments, and she made a game out of the whole thing, acting like we were going on a shopping spree rather than to get another dose of awful stuff that made her red hair fall out....) My father's mother died of cancer when she was in her early fifties, so I am probably at risk. So...I went to the dr. My blood pressure was 120/78, my weight was..ha, I am NOT telling, and blah blah blah...hot flashes? Not yet, but something to look forward to, I am sure! It seems like life is like this obstacle course, especially approaching middle age....heart attacks, strokes, cancer...like running the gauntlet....but then there is God, who knows the beginning and the end. Jesus himself told us not to be anxious for our lives, that the very hairs of our heads are numbered.....so the thoughts come, and we have many opportunities to either give in to worry, or cast our cares upon Him, He who is meek and lowly of heart. The results of the faithfulness: trust in God, and peace. The result of worrying: obviously, total nervous wrecks. I do not care to be a total nervous wreck, so I will trust Him, but I will also get that mammogram. It is a blessing and a grace to live in these times where healing and medical care are so advanced.

I procrastinated forever about the dr visit, now I have the mammogram prescription and I can procrastinate that for a while....

1 comment:

Mom said...

I hate going to the doctor too. My mother also had breast cancer, but they thought her's was estrogen based. Still I worry. In two more years I can have a free mammogram every year (after 40--did I just say that). I HATE the term middle aged and so don't want to go there. You are right though, in your attitude, God knows the beginning and the end. And whatever we face there is no need to worry. Hope you had a good day with your girls car shopping! Now go get your mammogram. :-)