summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, June 7, 2018

a quiet day at home....

Yesterday was a good day. I was sore after working at the concert, so I didn't go on my walk. I tried to sleep in, because we had gotten home at 12:30, then I needed a shower, so it was almost 1:30 when I settled into bed. Evelyn had to go to school yesterday after being up so late, so she slept in a bit and I drove her. First I dropped off the blue minivan for inspection.

Home...ah, home. I like days at home. I puttered around, took care of the pool, swept the cottonwood fuzzies up from the deck. The cottonwoods are crazy this year, they are the trial of the moment, concerning the pool. The filter basket gets filled up at least every hour with that cotton. The pool itself is nice and clear, I can't wait for warmer days.

The kids did some school work, then Margaret and baby Wulf came for a visit. Little Wulf is smiling a lot these days, and he lights up our lives. Ashley came over with Elise and Anya later, I built a house with Anya with Duplo blocks.

There were some nice London broil for dinner, I was going to put them in the crock-pot, but Jonathan insisted the grill is better, so I put that meat in some lemon juice/rosemary/salt and pepper to marinate, and Jon grilled it. I also made salt potatoes (tiny potatoes boiled in salt water, a Syracuse area favorite), fresh asparagus, and I sliced up a cantaloupe.

When the deck was stained, I had to take down the strings of solar fairy lights, tangles of them. Yesterday Jonathan got out the drill and put up little screws so I could hang those lights easier. Some of them turned on and twinkled last night, some didn't, I am hoping that it's because I put them up late in the day and they didn't charge up enough, and not that they got broken.

After dinner, Suzanne decided to make chocolate chip cookies for her art class. We didn't have much butter, so we made the original recipe instead of tripling it. I managed to not have a single taste of cookie dough, or a cookie.

I did eat most of a container of Halo ice cream later though, Ben had tried it, but there was a good bit left. It's the low cal stuff, so the whole thing is 320 calories....mint chocolate chip. I didn't mean to eat it all. :)

Anyway. The concert was rough-ish. It's a lot of walking, then a lot of standing/walking, then more walking to get back to the car. The customers were mostly nice, some a bit drunk, some complain-y about the high prices. I don't like our prices either, but it's totally not my decision to charge six bucks for a hot dog and ten for a cheeseburger. A bag of popcorn is six, and a bottle of Pepsi is $5.50, water is five. It's not fun seeing people's expressions as they hear their totals, but what can I do? I just work there. I did get eleven dollars in tips, Benjamin got $26! He is more charming than I am.

So I was sore, and achy, but not unbearably so, which meant I signed up to work again today, at the Kenny Chesney concert. :)

But first this fine morning, I am heading really quickly to get some butter and some milk and bananas and yogurt...

And. I talked to Paul yesterday on the phone, from Singapore. He's working hard, doing all right. I'm super thankful that I miss him, that's a good thing.

Kathryn has wisdom tooth problems, I have to call the dental surgeon to see if they can get her in. I made eye dr. appointments for Jonathan and I, some of the other kids need to get in too. Our truck is still in the shop, there is a leak somewhere, I know so much about cars ha. Never a dull moment, but when there is, oh I am all over that, enjoying the heck out of it.



No comments: