summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 15, 2018

clearing my head...

Being on vacation isn't just resting up and eating desserts. A true vacation is getting away from all the little details in life that take up all of the brain space. While this is truly relaxing, I am starting to really and seriously miss being in the midst of all those details, namely my kids.

Every day there are things to do, things to take care of, that's life. But being on vacation, not so much. And it's nice.

Yesterday we met up with our friend Linda, and went on an adventure. We saw the west coast conference center for our church, we stopped at a candy/antiques store, and we went on a few relaxing walks at Silver Falls, where the trees tower and the flora and fauna are magical. We didn't actually see any fauna, the flying squirrels were hiding, but we did see a very nice chocolate lab.

We stopped at a local pie company that specializes in marionberry pies. Now, being a New Yorker, I had never heard of marionberries. When the girls behind the counter at this pie place heard this, they could scarcely believe it. I have since read that there are over 33 million pounds of them produced annually, and they don't ship well so fresh marionberries are only eaten in Oregon. Emily and I ate our little fresh turnovers in the car as we headed south from the Salem area back to Eugene, and oh my goodness. Phew. We brought back a frozen pie and baked it last night, but haven't cut into it yet. BTW, I am not getting on the scale when I get home.

A visit to Linda's coffee shop was amazing, if you're ever near Salem, stop at Tripp Dog Coffee. I was impressed, I had regular drip coffee and it was very good. I would make it part of my routine if I lived nearby.

We had homemade chicken pot pie for dinner, but couldn't bring ourselves to have pie afterward:)

Today we are getting my phone, tomorrow the central market and maybe a wine tour, Sunday the Pacific ocean...beach!

Then Monday, home. Ahh, home. It's nice to get away, but there's no place like it.

6 comments:

Kristina said...

I live about 20 miles from Salem and I concur Tripp Dog is amazing! If you are beacbound check out the Cape Lookout area around Tillamook. Some of the best little beach spots on the West coast 💕

terre said...

girl - you better enjoy that marionberry pie while you are able to -- you can diet next week!

terre

Martha said...

I learned about marionberries through blogging. I have never tasted one of course, seeing as I am a New Yorker like you.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! I’m glad you are having a good time! I haven’t eaten Marionberries either. Maybe they are a bit like our Saskatoon berries. Quite tiny, but really delicious. It sounds like you are having a great quality time with Emily. You’ll be home before you know it and getting ready for your next adventure. It sounds like that will be heaps of fun.

Marilyn from Canada

American Housewife said...

I've bought marionberries everywhere we've lived in the past 20+ years - from Northern Minnesota/Canada border down to Tennessee, Alabama, etc. by buying them frozen. Costco and/or Sam's Club have always had them. If you get to 'hankering' for them back home check Costco or Sam's! I make jams and jellies out of them! :)

16 blessings'mom said...

So the marionberries are very big, sweet but also tart, and the pie was pure bliss. The berries are shipped frozen, and wow that I never even noticed them while in Costco, did not know they existed. I will definitely buy some and try to make my own pies, since Em doesn't think we should bring a frozen pie home in our suitcase.