summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, June 18, 2018

sunny california!!!


Who woulda thunk it? We're in Cali! Okay, so only for a four hour layover, but still. As we flew here from Portland, we wished we could leave the airport for a little beach trip, then we wished the airport would at LEAST have a courtyard...and guessy-whaty? Yup. A courtyard. Full of sunshine and palm trees. And yeah, four hours...







At either end of this open air courtyard are the concourses with arrival/departure gates, along with a few restaurants and coffee shops. We got some dinner, since we have barely eaten today. I got a burger with pickles, sauteed onions, tomato, and lettuce and ate only the bottom bun, but shh, I also got some fries. I get points for not eating them all, as it was clear I was going to keep picking at them as long as they sat here, because they were YUM. (Em was a good girl and got a taco salad, but I semi-corrupted her with my fries. So I threw the rest away because I love us)

Anyway. Here we are, in Cali! We can't leave the airport, but with the palms swaying in the breeze as the planes take off and land right in front of us behind the huge0 windows, I can't complain. Not a cloud in the sky, and warm! The only way you can tell you're in an airport is the intermittent announcements about not leaving baggage unattended. And, there are people walking by with luggage.

Our next stop is New York City, five a.m. tomorrow morning, then a quick flight to Syracuse, and home by nine-ish...hopefully.

The reason we are here is because JetBlue cancelled our flight, leaving us with not too many options to get home, so we took the scenic-see-the-country route. (And remember, if you see something suspicious, Em says, SAY something suspicious. ha.) But she has to get home by Wednesday, all rested up and with her head on straight, she has to take her New York state boards for being a Nurse Practitioner.

Here's a question: Why do some women travel in high heels?

There are so many cute little kids traveling, I like to wave and smile at them, their mommas and daddys don't always realize that I'm not just a garden variety weirdo.

And it's not like I can do anything about that. I can't just say, "Excuse me, your little boy is so cute, pulling his little tiny suitcase, can I pat him on the head?" With dogs, maybe. But kids, you had better leave them alone, in this world we live in. For instance, I had some fries with my dinner. I only wanted a few of them, and a family walked by, and no way no how could I offer those kids my fries, no sir. I had to throw them away.

I would rather be home than sitting here but hey, it's been a great trip so far, and hopefully I'll sleep on the way home. On the way here, I watched HDTV, and got too many good ideas...I am ready to go home and knock down some walls!!! I just need to win the lottery first.

My goodness, have I mentioned how beautiful it is here?












4 comments:

terre said...

what airport in cali?

16 blessings'mom said...

We flew into Long Beach airport in southern California. It's so gorgeous here.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della.........I figured it wasn’t LAX because there is nothing beautiful there! Awful airport. I glad you’ve had such a great holiday and have a good sleep on the last leg 😴😴

Marilyn from Canada

Marilyn said...

PS......I also wonder why women travel in high heels 👠 😂 They are uncomfortable at the best of times......

Marilyn from Canada