summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, June 1, 2018

mom!!!! answer your phone!!!!

Okay, so I don't have little ones anymore, life should be smoooooth sailing. And cell phones make life easier, right? Well, try this: not having one.

My phone is broken. It will not turn on, no way, no how. It's been glitching terribly for a while now, has minimum storage space, and my teenagers have been on my case to replace it. But now it's dead.

Sam didn't know my phone had died. He called the home phone, and was a bit exasperated at me, asked why I didn't answer any texts. Mali tried to get a hold of me too. Home phone, I said. For now.

Being temporarily phone free is hard. I can't use my Dunkin ap, and I'll be darned if I'm going to get a coffee without getting points for it. I have other coupons on it, and then there is the Target ap...and when I'm driving by myself, I wonder how I lived the first forty+ years of my life without a cell phone.

But I'll be truthful. It's also rather carefree. I can't get texts asking for me to get lemon juice or cream cheese when I have just gone through the register, or those little messages from a few certain school girls, asking to be picked up early. I don't have to keep track of a phone, don't have to remember to bring it with me everywhere.

I try to distance myself from my phone during regular daily life to an extent, anyway, and live in the moments. But now, I'm really distant.

The good news is that Aaron and Riley are giving me a phone when I go visit them. Yes, I am going on another trip! Next week, Oregon, here I come!

Until then, leave me alone, or call the home phone, ha.

So what has been happening in life? Well, yesterday I went to the dentist for my 6 month cleaning, and my blood pressure was 110/72, which made me happy. I've been doing that morning walk for a month now, and being good about cutting the carbs and sugar, for the most part. A little bit of chocolate here and there, but mostly good.

Our pool is getting cleaner by the day. It's wonderful and refreshing.

The kids are almost done with school for the year. The younger kids are taking their end-of-the-year pre-tests to see if they are all set for the real tests. Today, however, they are on a huge trip with big sister Emily: she took them to Niagara Falls! Jonathan, Char, and Cam. I really wanted to go too, but today I am bringing Paul to the airport. He is going to Singapore for 16 days. I will still be in Oregon when he gets back, so I won't be seeing him for a while:(

It's happened so many times that he and I are traveling at the same time to different places.

Anyway. Life is busy. Lydia was here for a bit, we watch her a few days a week. Ashley comes over a few times a week with Anya and Elise. Margaret came over with baby Wulf yesterday. There are duplos and dollhouses all over my living room, ha.

It's been so nice out, ain't nobody got time to clean the house.

Tomorrow morning I have to take Suzanne to her S.A.T. test.

Some of the kids will be working the first concert of the year at the amphitheater.

Grandma is back from Florida, she came to visit the other night. She is almost 89, and I want to be like her when I grow up. She still has her wits about her, and she can get out of a chair better than I can.

Life isn't boring, that's for sure.

2 comments:

Marilyn said...

Hi Della........your blood pressure is GREAT! Big congrats on that 👏 One certainly gets used to having a cell phone, even an old duck like me! I’m not on mine all the time though.......I use my home phone for all calls.....but it’s so handy when I’m out and about and for texting. Mine is mostly for emergencies when I’m out somewhere. That’s exciting that you’re going to Oregon. I’m sure you said someone is going with you. Emily? What fun. Are you flying? We are having some rain, which we badly need, but it’s cold! 9 degrees C this morning. Awful....Well you have a great day 🤗

Marilyn from Canada

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, we are certainly flying! Driving would take 42 hours, it's almost 3,000 miles (4,800+ kilometers!). We fly to New York City, then to Portland, it's a long enough flight, ha. We have had warm weather here, 89 (31.6c) today. I have never been to Oregon. Washington state, and California, but not to Oregon. Emily is going with me. She finished her career as a critical care nurse in the intensive care unit, and has some weeks off before embarking on the new general medicine nurse practitioner job, which starts in July. She had been going to college and working and had been so very busy. She is getting tan and relaxed. :) She brought the younger kids to Niagara Falls today, they came home all excited because they, "walked to Canada!", over the Rainbow Bridge, it's only less than two and a half hours from here. I am excited that I get to spend time with her.