summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, June 5, 2018

it must be yell at your kids day...

Harrumph. The poor kids.

I haven't been the perfect parent. Patience is only attained through suffering, and there were plenty of times that I wasn't awake to my own irritation. I know this. So I therefore don't mean to be all judge-y wudgey. But. Is this something that's just acceptable, and okay? To yell at kids and berate them in the grocery store?

Knock it off or I'm gonna take your birthday money.

Just shut up.

Sit down in that cart! (SMACK!)

Put that back, I said NO!

That lady's gonna run you over if you don't get out of her way. (referring to me, and I assured the young child that I would never do that, much to her mad mama's chagrin)

And the classic:

I ain't playin' soccer with you kids no more!

Just for the record, I don't fancy myself as the store police, but some days it is just appalling how these parents talk to their kids. The mom in the store last evening wasn't just getting in the kid's face and yelling at him, she was bullying him. Baiting him and arguing and using the I'm The Mom So I Win card. Humiliating him in the cash register line.

I especially hate when the kids is like a twelve or thirteen year old boy, and gets so embarrassed. It hurts my heart.

I just want to start a campaign, "Be Nice To Your Kids!". It could be on billboards. The small print, "Chill Before You Yell! A Little Bit Of Kindness Goes A Long Way!"

I know about being frazzled, and about a kid being on "your last nerve". I do. But this seems to be the standard operating mode for some parents, to just treat the kids like burdens.

And not all parents. Have you ever seen a mom or dad or big sibling in the store, being kind and gentle or giving a kid a hug, and it warmed your heart?

Anyway. Evelyn and I did some grocery shopping last evening. Since she was so helpful, and such good company, we stopped and got Chipotle for dinner. I am not getting a nickel to say that I love their food. It seems healthy-ish, and is super yummers. I only eat half of mine, and bring the rest home to Sonja. :)

We also went to Target, where I got a few things for grandkids. I love being able to look at the clothes for small children again, ha.

Benjamin came over yesterday and fixed and installed a switch on our pool pump. (Thank you SO MUCH Ben!!!)

The pool is looking so nice, but the weather is chilly. I want those hot days back!

This afternoon, some of us are working the Dave Matthews concert. I am just hoping my knee co-operates. It's a lot of walking and standing and no place to sit for your break. If you sneak away for a bathroom break, you'll end up standing in a long line. It's not for the faint-hearted, ha.

If I do okay, I'll work the Kenny Chesney concert on Thursday, too.

Paul called me from Singapore yesterday. He went to the park that President Trump will be visiting when he goes there next week. I think it's really random that Paul is going to be there when Trump goes there. Paul said it's nice and warm, but he's really busy.

And he misses me. He forgot to say that, but I could tell, ha.

Okay, here's the real truth this fine morning, I skipped my walk. I am working at the amphitheater today, and my poor knee, I cannot overwork it. This makes me sad at how happy it makes me to just snuggle up with the coffee and enjoy the quiet. I love the walk, but hate going out the door, so today I am enjoying myself.

Ah well. I think I have just about covered everything....









4 comments:

terre said...

after a rough start to my day, thank you for the reminder regarding twelve year old boys! i need to be extra loving this afternoon - his day did not get any better at school today.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree more about the yelling parents, same here in another country. Seems to be the new accepted way of talking to kids. I am not perfect either but I have never spoken to my kids like that in public. Poor things.

Respect is a two way street, you don't just demand it or automatically deserve it just because you are the parent. Respect your kids.

Simone

Marilyn said...

Good morning Della........Yes sometimes I would love to ask some of these parents how they would feel if someone spoke to them like that. Sometimes you just know some of these little ones are tired.......they need to be home having nap time. It can be appalling for sure. Another thing I just hate is when the parents have their nose in their phone all the time and just ignore their children. I hope your weather is improving. Ours is getting warmer again......thank goodness. The weather everywhere has been strange, hasn’t it? I hope your poor knees will be ok doing 2 concerts........and that people are not too rude! Have a great day!,🤗

Marilyn from Canada

Rose S. said...

I'm a firm believer that kids play off their parents moods. I tried to remind myself of that raising my two kids. I didn't succeed much some days. Now that I'm a grandmother I'm so much more patient with them. And I am constantly reminding my son that no matter what you are feeling or doing these kids are feeling it much more harder. They are in the middle of separation and particularly hard on my grandson who will be 8 soon.

What I see now that I didn't see then is amazing..... Its true you don't truly appreciate much until you much older.