summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, November 29, 2021

I forgot what it's like to be so cold...

 We always want what we don't have.  I actually don't mind the extreme heat and humidity most of the time, like when I'm in the pool, ha.  In the summer, if you ask me about winter weather, I'd say I don't mind the cold too much.  But.  When the cold weather actually arrives, and the house is chilly, cold floors you can feel right through your slippers, and don't get me started on the cold toilet seat...

When you have to go bye-bye, and the car is freezing, and the wipers are frozen to the windshield...the deck steps are slippery...harrumph.  I don't actually like winter all that much!

But, it IS pretty...pretty and peaceful.

This fine morning when Charlotte was waiting for the school bus...

I haven't been out shopping much for Christmas this year.  I've bought some things online, but I am minimizing buying this year.  I figure the older kids can buy what they want, if they want something.  I still get them each something, but not piles for each.  I like buying them stuff, don't get me wrong, but it really adds up. The boxes arrive, and some are huge with just a few items in them, the kids get excited, it's fun...

We're doing things different this year.  We usually gather on Christmas Eve, but our  whole family celebration will be dinner on Christmas Day, at Benjamin and Ashley's house.  We can do our Christmas Eve here quietly, and if any of the older kids want to come over, they are welcome.  Same with Christmas morning, the families can do their traditions with their kids, and we can do ours.  But, our Christmas dinner is going to be awesome:  we are doing Texas de Brazil theme!   Smoking a brisket, pulled pork, sausages...a winter salad, Mac and cheese...

This afternoon, Camille and I are going on a small adventure:  a marketplace purchase, meeting in a grocery store parking lot.  We're getting a toy traffic light for Wulf!  He rides around and around the circle that makes up our kitchen and living room, on the balance bike, and sometimes we tell him red light!,  and he comes to a screeching halt...he also likes to write "tickets" for speeding.  So anyway, scrolling through marketplace seeing all the things I didn't know I needed, and voila!  Something Wulf NEEDS, ha.  

Yesterday morning I made five pounds of meatballs...chopped onion, garlic, all the spices...then into the crockpot on low, with sauce, to simmer for a while until dinner time.  Oh, the joy of knowing what's for dinner!  There are plenty left, so I also know what's for dinner tonight!

Anyone sick of Covid yet?  No?  The new variant is said to be mild, and I've read that the overwhelming majority of cases are in the vaccinated, so it doesn't seem like it should be a big worry.  Our gov. here in NY has declared a state of emergency, because then she gets to use her executive powers.  It's like she's been sitting there rubbing her hands together waiting for the opportunity.  Can I just say this?  One major hospital in central NY is down FOUR HUNDRED NURSES.  four hundred.  and that's just nurses, they're hurting for other staff too.  Last week, those who had religious exemptions from the vax mandate  lost them and were fired.  Years and years of patient care and experience, bam, gone.  Who will suffer for it?  The general public, the sick.  Who else will suffer for it?  The ones who are left still working, with their already heavy patient load increased, more bricks less straw.  If you stop for a minute and think about this, actually THINK about it:  those who were fired worked their A$$e$ off for the entire pandemic.  They were exposed to Covid countless times, many were sick with it.  Why, after all these months and months, is it just crucial for them to be vaccinated?  Especially when the vaccinated are still spreading it!!!!?   No one seems to care.  Chemo patients won't get their infusions if there is no one there to give them.  It's no joke.  Politics have no place in medicine, yet this is what is happening.  It's not right.   

Pray for our country, for our world, for our leaders, for our governor!  It's a heavy load for our healthcare system, and it's buckling. 

Ahh well.  Time to get moving around here....


4 comments:

Linda said...

Don't even get me going on the stupidity of our governor. Sigh--she is something else; her and her stupid necklace that says Vaccinated (who cares! it's not any of my business). Word is that we are going into a shut down by Christmas, mark my words. I will be happy to take those words back and apologize if it doesn't happen, grin.

ANYWAYS, we got more snow than you did, we got like close to 6 inches. I have to say, I was not prepared for the extreme cold and snow that hit, grin.

Have a beautiful day friend.

Terri D said...

I pray daily for our country. I am with you on all you say. I am also so happy that I like in Florida with a Governor who is doing such a great job for us. Your Christmas holiday plans sound great! Do keep us posted! xo

Unknown said...

Hi Della. I’m thinking your house must be cold 🥶 We crank the heat up because I can’t stand to be cold………bit of a woos I think. 🤣🤣 You might think about getting a windshield cover. I’ve seen them on cars that are parked outside in the snowy weather and would be good I think. I went for a bit of a shop today…….one of my grandsons wanted a crockpot!! He’s moving out next year and is wanting things to set up house! So funny 😆 I’m doing shoeboxes for the women’s shelter. You can decorate a shoebox or buy one of those pretty ones at the dollar store and add $50 worth of things…….there’s a list of suggestions…plus a list of things not to buy. I got a few things for these boxes today. Nice girlie things. I hope you had a good day too!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Linda, I you did get a lot of snow. It was a nice gentle snow though, wasn't it? Not the scary, I-can't-drive-in-it snow...not yet. I HATE that, more so as I get older...
Terri, I am so happy for you guys, a governor with a decent head on his shoulders, he has been such a good example in how to lead. I would wish to trade, but then I wouldn't wish ours on anyone, with her narrow-minded agendas.
Marilyn, I hear you about the cold, brrr. Our house is big and drafty, so slippers are a MUST. So cute about your grandson! The shoebox idea sounds excellent! Have a really good day...!