summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, November 8, 2021

oh what joy!

 

Jonathan and Camille...
They get along well, he's a nice big brother.  

We went around the table and all said something nice about Camille...Jon said that Cam has his same sense of humor, and thanked her for always siding with him when he argues with Charlotte.   I've found this to be an excellent way to bring meaning into celebrations, kind words are good gifts.   Sometimes we are together, and randomly go around the room and say what we're thankful for, it's extremely uplifting and encouraging.   Believe me, the kids tease me and give me flak when I suggest it, but they've gotten use to it, and now they see it's worth.

Only eight of the kids were able to be here for the birthday (Emily, Abigail, Mariel, Margaret, Sonja, Jonathan, Charlotte, and birthday girl Camille.). These days, if someone has even the sniffles, well, because of the dreaded Covid, they stay home, and one of the grandkids is in quarantine because of an exposure, and one of the kids had plans, and then 3 of them are out of state, ect.  

Samuel is in town though, he arrived last evening, he's in New York for his last ever Army Reserves week before exiting the military.   He has served eight years, and is done.  He was forced to have the vaccination, which I don't want to argue about, just the fact that he had no choice, they threatened him with all sorts of things, just so they could check a box.   He arrived here late last night, I waited up to see him, and we talked for too long, stayed up for too long, but it was so nice.

Anyway, Camille is fourteen now.











This fine morning, Sonja K. went out the door and headed to college, nursing school, she had a big test...and oh no, she forgot a paper that HAS to be handed in today, so yeah, I trekked to the college and put it in her friend's car.   A fifteen mile drive cannot just go to waste, so to Walmart I went, to wander around all by my lonesome.  I don't mind doing that, I found a good Christmas gift for Jon, and a few birthday presents for my oldest son Benjamin, he's turning 33 on Veteran's Day.  Oh dear, I am old.

Our turkey dinner was really really good, nice tender turkey, a Butterball from Aldi.  One pan of stuffing had apple chunks and pecans on top, which got all toasted and yummy.  I made about eight pounds of red skinned mashed potatoes, and a pan of roasted broccoli, Brussel sprouts, and acorn squash from the garden.  There were brown and serve rolls, and there was gravy, and cranberry sauce.  It was a proper Thanksiving meal, it was so good, it made me look even more forward to the real holiday.  

Ah well, we're having some sunny weather, maybe I'll plant some tulips today....

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did Sam leave the military because of the vaccine mandate? I admire him for doing so. Took a lot of courage. Your turkey dinner sounded lovely!
Valerie

16 blessings'mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Billie Jo said...

What wonderful celebrations you have for your children. Happy Birthday to your girl! Beautiful photo of you too! Have a cozy evening with your people.

Terri D said...

Is there a month in the year with no family birthdays? I just love the way you all celebrate each other!! Great photos and your pre-Thanksgiving feast sound delicious! I look forward to your posts and my visit here!! xo

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, no he did not. He was actually forced to be vaccinated, driven there by a superior officer. He was not very happy about it, I was rather livid. I know, I know, when you join up, you sign your life away, but still. He is leaving because if he signs another contract, he will most certainly deploy...
BillieJo, thank you!
Terri, we have birthdays in January, February, March, April, May...only Robert in June, me in July, in August, none of our kids in September but now a grandchild, none of our kids in October, but now Ashley (Ben's wife), and Anya and Elise, two in November, and three in December....so when the kids were growing up, only June (because we didn't celebrate Robert's), September and October for no birthdays...

Michelle said...

Wow, Your baby is 14!!! Happy Birthday to Camille!

Mari said...

Happy Birthday to your sweet Camille! It's a blessing to be together with family. Our son lives in KY after his time in the military, so I know how hard it is to get everyone together.
I'm not happy about the forced vaccinations either. We have a friend whose son is also dealing with it.