summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

just a-broilin'!

 Here in the northeast, we aren't frying as hotly as some other places in the country and in the world (I heard 104 degrees forecast for England!), but we can still complain about it.  We have humidity too, ugh.  But we also have sunshine, and today, we are going to our church pool.  Some of my grandkids will be there, some of my kids.  I have snacks and towels and floats packed, but the girls are still sleeping.

Yesterday was PT for Miss Camille.  She lost so much muscle in that surgery leg, with that brace on for so long.  She is weaning off of it, and is a little unsteady.  Her leg is weak, and yesterday she felt like her other knee, the one she dislocated recently, and is in the immobilizer, was buckling when she was walking.    She does her exercises several times a day, but it's slow going.

We did go to Target on that nice rainy afternoon, and there was just too much good stuff.  I found a lovely sweater half off, and I love cozy sweaters.  The girls found a few things, then a really nice lamp for their room, for a fraction of the regular price.  I got another swim float for $3, and some underwear for myself, in my size, in my style (not thongs, ha!), for super cheap.  Of course they rang up wrong, and while I'm not embarrassed to BUY huge underwear, bringing them back because they rang up wrong?  I think I'll just save myself the humiliation, because I KNOW they'll hold them up, wave them around, maybe one of the pairs will fall out of the cardboard band, and it'll be like a big flag.  

I did return two pairs of shorts yesterday, very reluctantly.  Sonja accompanied me for moral support.  I wear XXL Target shorts, and not because I like them extra baggy, that's actually my size.  These shorts are the comfiest, light weight, cool, loose-fitting, perfect for hot weather.  Once I found they fit me and I felt okay in them, I ordered them in two more colors.  Well, one pair ripped last week, in the waistband and in the pocket, not even stress-fracture rips, they weren't too tight.  Then the other pair ripped in a random place.  I imagined me bringing them back, with a long line of tall thin soccer moms behind me, and the cashier holding them up too look at the rips, and oh my goodness, even $15 a pair isn't worth it.  But Sonja said she would come with me and pretend they were hers, and that I was ridiculous.  

I wasn't ridiculous.  The cashier did indeed hold them up.  She didn't say into her walkie I've got some huge ripped shorts here, loud enough for the entire front of the store to hear, but she did hold them up to fold them.  Why do ripped shorts need folding, and why do they need to be held up first?  The ladies behind me didn't seem to even notice, so I worried about it all for nothing.  

Do I REALLY care what anyone thinks?  Apparently, I do, something to work on.

We had too much fun though, and stopped for a coffee on the way home.  I enjoy these outings with my girls.  We also stopped at a grocery store that had ground beef for buy one get one free....$6.19 a pound, but that makes it $3.10, which is good these days, for 85% beef.  (15% fat).  I was a good girl, got one package of asparagus, and the beef, that's all.  

So it's time to leave for the pool, yay!!!!


4 comments:

Chrissy said...

I'm in sunny ole England! it's been 34 where I am, we just had a thunder storm and it's cooled the tiniest amount. The issue isn't so much the heat but that we don't have AC as standard, I'm on the south coast and it's not too bad. But there are lots of fires around the country which is awful :(

Michelle in Florida said...

“Not thongs”…lol you crack me up!

Terri D said...

Sizes have changed. I'm the same size (for years) but all of a sudden a 2x is now a 1x but the 2x which used to be a 3x fits better. Go figure. Measurements don't matter. Weight doesn't matter. I hope Camille's knee gets stronger. Tough stuff, that rehab. Hope you all enjoyed the pool!!

Mari said...

I would have felt just like you in returning the shorts. And I agree with Terri - sizes are changing, and not only that but they are different from store to store.
I bet that pool felt good!