summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, July 19, 2022

splashing in the sunshine...

 

Grant, Wulf and Tennyson, baby Rhys...four of my grandchildren.  

Rhys fell asleep in my arms out in the pool, I made my way to the steps, she still slept.  She was mostly shaded from the sun, but I thought she was getting waterlogged....so I eventually made my way out of the pool with her, and dang it, she woke up!  But she slept for about half an hour, and was happy when she woke.   What a refreshing way to nap!
I wish I had taken more pictures, of Achilles and Ruth, and Sonja, Charlotte Claire and Camille, and Margaret, and Kathryn, and Grace.  It was SO hot out, but the pool was so nice.  

By one o'clock, we were done in the sun.  Margaret came over with Wulf and Tenny, Grace came over with Grant and Ruth.  Ruth went in for a nap, so I got out the Little Tikes Waffletown blocks for the boys. That kept them busy, but Grant was tired, so he went in for a little nap, then when Ruth woke up, Tennyson had a turn napping.  It was a relaxing afternoon, and since Margaret works from home, she was busy working while the kids played.  She helped me make a nice taco salad for dinner, always good on a hot night.  

When they left, Sonja and Jonathan, and Charlotte Claire joined me for an evening swim, Cam just visited at the edge of the pool...then they all left to go to a youth gathering.  Paul and I are rattling around here in the quiet, while the whole-house fan drones and the oscillating fan blows hot air at us.  

Tomorrow is supposed to be in the mid nineties, with high humidity and sunshine, phew.  You think you don't mind the heat, but when it gets suffocatingly hot, well, you find that you DO mind the heat.  Paul actually got the old air conditioner out of the basement and put it in our bedroom window.   It feels so refreshing in there, I am not going to want to leave my bed tomorrow.  Too bad I have to bring Cam to physical therapy....ugh.

Thursday she has to see the ortho doctor again, then we're going camping on Friday.  I should start packing a little.  Sonja and Charlotte Claire are leaving for Norway on Saturday, Jon is leaving on Sunday.  Camille isn't going camping with us, she's staying with Kathryn and Darius and the kids.  But, lots of the other kids are either camping too, or visiting on Saturday, which Kathryn plans to do with Camille.

So I have to start gathering the camping stuff, planning the menu (I'm thinking burgers and hot dogs on Saturday, but that's the extent of it for now).  I like to keep things simple.  I've told the kids that if they want brekky or lunch, bring it, Paul and I don't usually eat it, if we snack it'll be on pistachios or peanuts or maybe some pepperoni.  

It doesn't seem like summer has really started yet, but it's half over.  It's way too short, I would like a longer summer, please.  My feet like the warm floorboards of summer, the grass, the hot deck.  I like going days at a time with no coat or sweater, and I like the summer evenings with the crickets and the fireflies and the tree frogs singing.  

I cannot make it last longer, but I can enjoy the heck out of every single minute.


3 comments:

~Pam~ said...

my goodness your grandkids are so cute! Great post, enjoy every bit of this summer!!

Terri D said...

Y'all have so much fun together! Enjoy camping!! xo

Unknown said...

Hi Della! Looks like a fun day at the pool! Wow!! This weekend I am going to make a taco salad. It’s supposed to be hot here and that just sounds so good! I loved all the photos. Those littles are adorable. Poor Camille…….what a bummer for her 😔 These things take time to heal. Have fun camping and I hope the kids flying off are able to do so with ease. The trick is to pack small in carry on bags I think. My girls left Africa today after 3 1/2 weeks and are flying at this moment to Amsterdam, and from what I hear it’s a real dog’s breakfast there. Anyway they are on their way home after the most amazing trip of a lifetime.

Have lots fun camping with the gang!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦