summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, July 7, 2022

the fleeting days...

 They go by too fast, why is life so short?  This fine morning, I had to go get groceries, so Grace went with me with little Grant and small Ruth.  We had to go to Target first, because I had ordered a few things, then we had to wander around and see what there was.  Turns out there wasn't much.  I bought myself some razors, it seems I buy them and never have any, wonder why...I bought some chicken breast, and that's about it.

Mirror in Target pic with Grant.  I didn't want to post it because of my tum-tum, but I decided that if I can make YOU feel better about yourself when you look at my pic, then it's all good, ha.


My dinner...two burgers with salt and pepper, minced onion, well done, with veggies sprinkled with salt and pepper and lime juice...

well, the days ARE fleeting, because I wrote that yesterday, now it's today!  THIS fine morning, I brought Miss Camille to her appointment at the ortho dr.
Poor Cam.  The NP had to consult with the surgeon, they weren't sure how to proceed.  So ice, rest, and see her next week.  The poor girl is sleeping on the couch right now, I think it's exhausting to be hobbling about like this, and a bit depressing too, although she's an awful good sport about it.   

After her appointment we drove up to the house we are fixing up for Sam and Grace, and did some last minute work:  painting second coats on trim, cleaning windows, sweeping up.  Miss Cam sat in a lawn chair and talked to us.  

When we got home, after four hours of work, whew, Sonja, Charlotte Claire and I took a nice swim.  That's when Camille fell asleep on the couch.  Time to make dinner:  taco salad again.  I am not complaining, it's nutritious (as long as I keep the tortilla chips to a minimum, lime ones, mmm!) and delicious, and with all the peppers and tomatoes, so good.  It's easy to make, too, especially when I really really don't feel like grilling anything.

The garden is coming along nicely, we've already eaten one zucchini, browned up in olive oil with onions, mmm.  There's a yellow squash ready to pick, maybe tomorrow Grant will help me pick it.  We are growing watermelons, which is new, and there are a few cute little ones out there, hopefully they actually grow into big fat melons.

Paul is baking a low carb cake with berries he picked in the woods, it smells fantastic.  Lots of eggs and butter, monk fruit for sweetener, can't wait.

Sam and Grace and little Grant and littler Ruth are moving out tomorrow, into their house we've been working on.  

So today was busy, and I'm sufficiently tired.  I DID stay up way too late watching a silly show with three daughters, midnight is not the best idea for this old lady, especially when six a.m. comes so soon...with the birds singing, and me not being able to go back to sleep.  But hey, when your girls actually WANT you to stay up and watch a silly show with them, you do it.  You do it because you know, you realize, you've found out that time marches on, and kids grow up, they grow up and they move out, and the days of solving the world's problems and watching silly shows are finite.

When you have sixteen kids and only four are left at home, you are very aware of the fleetingness of time. You remember when you watched silly things with your oldest, and your oldest is now 37!  You remember when your second oldest graduated from high school, and now she's 35!  You remember going to your son's basketball games, and now he's 33 and has three kids!  Oh, time does march on, but not without me making the absolute most of it.

This blog has suffered lately, but rest assured the time not spent on it has been spent in good ways.  There will be more quiet here next week perhaps, and perhaps there'll be more rambling.   

Current events are bleak, Biden giving oil reserves to China, and new variants and inflation, but is this the day that the Lord has made?  I do believe it is, so let us be glad, and rejoice in it. 





3 comments:

Deb J. in Utah said...

Troubling times for sure, and yes, time goes so quickly. So glad that you are making good memories with your family. Have a good weekend. :-)

Billie Jo said...

I adore you, my friend. You do indeed make me feel better about myself, so please know that. I love your love of home and family, and the knowledge you share as well. You are an amazing example of motherhood, you know? Anyway, things are awful, aren't they? Seriously, where is the outrage? The questions? The demand for an explanation? Oh well. I shall pray. And wait for November! Hugs!

Unknown said...

I think it might be quiet around your place now………

Poor little Camille…..what a trooper she is. Hopefully she can manage it without more surgery, at least for a while. Oh dear…..

Your suppers always sound yummy and good. I’m thinking I’m going to make taco salad in the coming days because summer has FINALLY arrived and we have even turned on the a/c to come on if the inside temperature reaches 24. We just got the a/c so have to see what works best. I always swore I would never have one, but after the last couple of summers we changed our minds.

Anyway Della I hope you have a lovely day!!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦