summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 2, 2024

a long time ago...

 ...in 1982, I fell in love.  42 years ago, my goodness.  You've all heard this before, but because I'm sitting here in my comfy chair, all alone with the dogs and the cats, Paul working, Sonja sleeping (two 12 hr. night shifts in a row, with #3 tonight)...I will retell my romantic tale.

I was staying the New Year's  weekend with my cousins, they lived up on the lake, in the Finger Lakes.  I was sixteen years old, but 16 and a half.  My cousins were older, and decided we should do something fun, so we went to a bar/club, in the city.  The age for such things in New York State was 18, back then.  So, I had to convince the bouncer at the door that I was eighteen...I introduced him to my cousins, and told him with all earnestness that my birthday was July 10, 1963, and that I was staying with them and hadn't known I was going to and didn't have my wallet, ect.   Apparently if most of what you say is true, it's believable when you fudge one little fact, like the year you were born.   

So the nice man let me in.  My cousin and I amused ourselves by standing around in that loud crowded place, and choosing who we thought was cutest. (we weren't drinking, just standing around looking)  I chose a tall thin kid, with a navy blue velour v-neck pullover, and big curly hair.  He was definitely the cutest.  We watched him walk up to the bar to order something, and my cousin pointed out that his shirt tag was sticking out.  Go tell him!  I dare you!  Well, a dare IS a dare, so I did.  

As I fearlessly tucked that tag in, explaining to this adorable guy that it was out, he turned around and had two O.V. Splits (Old Viena, blast from the past), and handed me one.  Oh my.  We talked and talked, then he asked me to dance.  If I could fly, I'd pick you up, take you into the night...and show you a love, like you've never seen...(Benny Mardones).  It was a slow dance, and we looked into each other's eyes, and oh dear me, oh my, I really liked him.  We said our goodbyes in a hurry not too long later, as my cousin had to pick her brother up from work, but he got my number on a napkin.  (ha, we're old)

He actually called, the next day.  He was in college, in Rochester, and our long distance phone bills:  ugh.  He didn't ask how old I was, and I didn't tell, but was on pins and needles that when he found out, ouch...but it was never an issue. (ha, if one of my daughters did this, rrr!)

So a silly 16 year old  meets this guy....and against all odds, they stay together....we got married when I was only 18, Emily was born the next year.  Our 40th wedding anniversary is coming in March.

Building Legos...Wulf, Tennyson, Grandpa
Baby Blythe
Me with Blythe, Sam with Maeve
Me with Blythe and Rhys
Benjamin with his Declan...we rented a gym/gymnastic place on New Year's...too much fun.

Suri and Sunny and Blythe
The boys with Paul.  They stayed here for almost a week, left yesterday.  Paul and I rattled around here in the quiet yesterday.  He made a pot of chili, I puttered around...it didn't seem like New Year's Day.  

Having Margaret and the boys here was busy, sometimes loud, but so rewarding.  They're little firecrackers, but also so sincere and sweet and inquisitive.  They have more energy than I've ever had, but they bring life and fun into the house.  Blythe had a rough few days, she didn't like being put down, and even being held, it had to be a certain way, she prefers if you stand up and walk with her.  Being with Margaret and seeing her in action day after day, I was really impressed with her patience and goodness.  There's no doubt it's challenging to be a parent, but she is very serious about living the gospel, so it was a blessing, and very encouraging.  A saint isn't someone who happens to be patient by nature, no, it's someone who chooses to live and abide in God's will, and that person has a drawing effect, because we all long for that peace, for that life.  

Today, I am going out and about.  We need a new dump pass, and some cream for the coffee, and we are out of bread.  Jon, Char, and Cam will be home from Norway soon, so I should make a meal plan.  It's Tuesday, so I'm thinking to go to the thrift store too...(25% senior discount!)

So have a good day, and if you made resolutions, hope you're still keeping them.  Some of you have words for the year, I'm thinking for me:  diligence.  The sum of all small actions ends up being significant, both in earthly things (diet and exercise), and in the spiritual (being awake to those small promptings, being faithful in the little things)...it will all add up, won't it?  So diligence is necessary...:)



6 comments:

Joybells said...

I did not know your story! That is so sweet. Thank you for sharing. :) Have a wonderful day!!

Joy from Salem

Mari said...

I love your story and am so glad you shared it! We've been married 42 years and I was 20 when we got married, but our story is more mundane than yours. :)
Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! I loved hearing your love story! Our 25 th anniversary is today - we had a blizzard the night before and a foot of snow for the wedding. One invited guest who couldn't make it told us later, "I figured you would postpone the wedding!" Yeah right...
Valerie

Terri D said...

I loved reading your love story about meeting!! How sweet!! Nice photos! Hugs!

Michelle in FL said...

I love reading about how you & Paul met. Great story!

Kanadiangirl said...

Loved hearing the story. I'm a sucker for love stories that last!