summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 10, 2024

comfort food...

 Sunday:  chicken drums, mashed potatoes, stuffing...the drums were actually really good.  I marinated them in lime juice, then drained, dried, and rolled in baking powder, corn starch, flour with salt and pepper, then oven roasted with olive oil and canola oil on the parchment...I flipped them a few times so they got crispy, then made a sauce with butter, brown sugar and Frank's Hot sauce.

Monday:  Burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, red onions, dill pickles, fries, onion rings.

Tuesday:  chicken breast, cubed up, dredged in that baking powder/flour/corn starch mixture, browned up in oil, until crispy and done...this took a while, 6+ pounds of chicken so several batches...then stir fried peppers, onions, broccoli, and basmati rice.  I made an orange sauce with butter, orange marmalade, ginger, and some orange stir fry sauce. 

Tonight:  there is bread rising in the oven, I have to go punch it down and make it into two loaves for a second rising.  The beef stew is half done and simmering on the stove, waiting patiently for the carrots and potatoes, so I had better not sit here too long.

I went to the pool this morning, then to breakfast with the other pool people.  Scrambled eggs, hash browns with onions, rye toast...lots of hot coffee.  Going out to brekky, meh, I can scramble eggs at home, but having that coffee served and topped off a few times, I appreciate that.  The company was nice too.

I've been sorting and cleaning, and getting ready for the new floors.  We might start the demo this weekend.  There are other fun and exciting things afoot, but I am not yet at liberty to divulge.  :)

Some random pictures: 

Tennyson loves the dogs.  

Darius with sleepy Rhys, Ten with his mamma and dad, Marge and Adrian...
Auntie Evelyn with sleeping Jamison
Auntie Sonja with baby Blythe (and Miss Char)
Achilles going out to play.

It's snowing out again.  We've had some windy weather here, some schools were closed, and some trees fell, some without power, some without internet.  

Winter.  I do love the cozy feeling of being inside with some warm white fairy lights on, the fake fireplace humming and glowing, a nice hot coffee.  January just goes on and on, doesn't it?  I am thankful for the days though, they are good days.  

I need to get those carrots and potatoes peeled and chopped, and tend to the bread...have a really good day.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What does the baking powder do for the chicken topping? I know you have shared how you make bread, but I don't know how to search for that in your posts. Maybe a short version? Have a great evening
Valerie

Mari said...

I made bread yesterday!
Your meals sound very good.
Now I'm excited to hear what else is going on at your home!

Carol said...

Can I please have dinner at your house? All of those meals sound delicious!

Terri D said...

Oh my gosh, your menus sound so good!! Love the photos of the adorable littles!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Valerie, I think it just keeps the moisture in to make the chicken juicy, but don't use too much, or it'll taste like baking powder. I use a recipe from Tastes Better From Scratch, just a basic bread recipe. I also have made the easy artisan dutch oven bread.
Mari, you made bread too, it's dangerous, I tell you! I love it so much, and the whole house is filled with that bakery aroma, and the crusty end with butter, oh dear.
Carol, yes, come on over.
Terri, they are so cute, aren't they? Rascals, but cute.

Sandi said...


Made me smile to see the little ones. :)

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! I wrote a post but must not have posted it 🙄🙄

Your meals sound wonderful!! I’ll be right over ………. All the pictures are so lovely. You will be glad to have that big flooring job done! It will be a process, but so beautiful when finished.

Today here it is -35C at 11am🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶 They said with the windchill it will be -41C 🥶🥶🥶🥶🥶 Not fit for man or beast. Awful. Starts to warm up on Sunday I believe. We had it so good ……… too good for The last 2-3 months of the year. No snow and very good weather, so now we are paying for that! This too shall pass………

Have a great day and I’ll see if this posts 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦