summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, January 4, 2024

and January trudges onward...

 ...ha, as if we're even in the middle of it.  It just started, but it already sort of feels like trudging.  

The kids are home from Norway!
The came bearing chocolate!  
I say it's a nice January decoration.

Yesterday was a stay-home day, but also a get-things-done day.  I sorted through baskets and bins, and purged a few bookshelves.  We have a small bookcase that had seen better days, so for our Secret Santa on Christmas Eve, Jonathan had my name:  he got me a new bookcase!  That was definitely above and beyond, and so thoughtful.  I cannot get rid of all of the good children's books, but I did get rid of some rippy ones, and some that aren't so great.  I sorted through toys and odds and ends, and ended up with three bags to donate, and a few bags to throw away.  

One reason for this purging and organizing, besides it being a typical January response to the whole post Christmas slowdown, is:  we are finally ordering new flooring.  Here's the kicker:  after years of dithering, looking, planning, and adding new masking tape to the broken tiles in the kitchen, I made a decision.  I found a flooring that checks all my boxes for thickness, durability, being waterproof, and that I love the look of.  This afternoon, we are going to Lowe's to order it.  Imagine my distress and dismay when I double checked this morning, and this item is no longer available.  I am such a big baby, I almost cried.  I am still a bit frustrated.  Earthly things!  Not worth it, get a grip!  But the crisis is REAL, ha, not even a crisis, but still.

So I got myself in check here, counted my blessings, and soldiered on.

Here are the two finalists, and if you could please give some input, I'd appreciate it.  So far, Paul says whatever makes me happy makes him happy, and Camille votes for the lighter stuff.  I'm partial to the darker.  Chime in, please!

1.  Elite Timely Oak, the lighter stuff...


Side-by-side comparison

2.  Elite Protected Oak



I narrowed it down to these two because it's on sale, it's wide planked (9 inches), and durable.  

We have to tear up the kitchen tiles, no picnic, because so many are cracked.  We could technically lay this flooring on top of it, but decided not to.  The living flooring will probably come up too, so it will be level.  I still love my living room flooring, it looks like real wood.  It's a 30 year laminate floor, but there are some cracked and peeling places, and we want to replace it all together so there's one flooring connecting the kitchen and living room.  We could keep it, and just change out the kitchen stuff...but why not buy 900 feet of flooring?  

Anyway, have a really good day, and if you can take time to vote for your favorite, I'd be pleased as punch.  Thank you!



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the darker floors

Anonymous said...

Lighter will show more dirt, while darker will show the yellow lab dog hair (my struggle, and it's real. lol).

But I do like the darker.

Madeline said...

Elite Protected Oak is my vote!

Joy said...

We had to make a similar decision recently! We chose lighter, because the space always seems too dark. I love the flooring we chose. It instantly brightened/energized the kitchen (we have oak cabinets) and made it feel bigger. Darker is more classic and timeless, though, and blends in rather than demanding attention (if that makes sense). And it will probably hide more dirt, ha ha. Best of luck and I can't wait to see the pictures! And I'm so happy the cracked tile is going away!! Good for you!

Joy from Salem

Jilly G said...

Lighter! It will keep the house light during your long dark winters. Does it really show dirt more than the other? I want to know too so I can make my final decision for my floors!

Blods said...

I prefer the light but it could be difficult to keep clean xx

Anonymous said...

I like the darker buy both will look great! The darker will not hide the dirt as well but I think it is more cozy. Blessings from orlando! Darla

Anonymous said...

Getting ready to do this soon myself. I like the lighter also but agree the darker would be better as it will show less dirt.

Carolyn said...

I think it would be good to get the one that looks good with your living room floor.

Anonymous said...

I also like the darker color but am gonna predict that you will love either.

Kanadiangirl said...

The lighter one in the first pictures shows a yellowish tone. On the side-by-side comparison it doesn't. It's quite nice. But I think you have light coloring on kitchen cabinets and walls which with light flooring would be too light. I would probably go with the darker! Also depends on how much natural light you have coming in when using darker flooring! Difficult decision, for sure!

Maureen said...

I like both of your choices - but if I had to pick I would go with the darker one. It's actually a good "mid" tone that I think will hide a lot! We replaced our floors a couple years ago so all of our floors were the same - the process wasn't fun but the result was great! Best of luck!

Carol said...

The darker choice would be for me. I think the light will show dirt much easier and that is not something anyone needs to deal with.

Anonymous said...

I like the darker!
Valerie

Anonymous said...

Darker!

Anonymous said...

I love the darker…it’s warm and inviting. But, I agree either will look beautiful.

And yes, already I feel as if I am trudging along. Winter has barely started but we have had several bouts of colds, stomach virus etc. I am ready for spring but here on Long Island that is months away. Keep my eye on the Lord and keep trudging. Lol