summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, January 16, 2024

no complaints here...

 ...yet I am full of them, to the brim.  We watch HGTV, usually only when we travel for some reason, never turn it on here at home, but never mind the tangent.  HGTV:  they fix the dumpy issues in no time flat, instant gratification.  REAL LIFE:  ha.  Yesterday, the living room flooring was ripped up and the new was being put down, as we moved furniture from place to place.  The kitchen floor was not clear enough, all the tile was gone, and we had wasted elbow grease cleaning up dust...only to have to chisel and scrape more of the old glue yesterday (can't complain, I didn't do any scraping!). It was determined we needed underlayment over that floor because some of the remnants of glue and cement won't come off, Paul went  off to Home Depot to spend more money.  

We are doing all the same flooring in the kitchen, living room, hallway...hoping to avoid the ugly thresholds, you know, where there's an edge piece between the rooms, mostly where two different floors meet up.  Well, turns out we might need to do that because the floor height is different, and we don't want any cracked planking.  So I'm not complaining.  It's awful, we get something so wonderful as new flooring, but wah wah wah, it's not going to be exactly how I wanted, and HGTV-ZILLA appears.  

The living room is still a dump.  I vacuumed the whole couch on Sunday, then it got covered with dust again.  Same with the kitchen counters, stove, ect.   We did cover all the plants and some other things with plastic sheeting, but we didn't bother hanging it in the doorways again, as they were going back and forth with boxes of flooring, ect.  So dust, and more dust.

I think that part is done, but I am not cleaning everything up until the flooring is all down.  That's when I'll take the pictures too.  It's not like I will be just sitting around all day though.  I'm going out and about with my sister, then I'll try to get the living room into some semblance of order, because Wulf and Tennyson are coming over to spend the night.  I'm thinking we'll have a sleepover right in the living room.  I have ribs that have to be cooked, so I'm thinking instant pot, and I also have steak I bought on Saturday that HAS to be cooked, poor me, right?  The kitchen was way too dusty and messy to cook on Saturday, and we were too tired too.  Yesterday afternoon, we ended up going to Costco and getting a chicken.


Cam with Jamie, Charlotte Claire, Kathryn in the background...we did have a hot dog there too, so no one was very hungry for dinner.  I just had some of the rotisserie chicken, some peanuts (Costco/Kirkland Virginia peanuts are too good), celery, carrots, and cucumbers, and some of those cookies I made the day before.  

So tonight, there shall be dinner, I hope.  I'll be cooking and cleaning and vacuuming and sorting and wanting everything all back together lickety-split.  I will have tons of energy, and I'll be happy and smiling.  :)

Last night was one of those hollowed-out nights.  I fell asleep nicely, which doesn't always happen, but I was very tired.  Then I woke up.  I tossed and turned, one arm fell asleep when everything else was comfy, so I had to roll over, my hip started aching, the whole shebang.  I went to the bathroom, got back in bed, got comfy, nope.  3:30, 5:30....wide awake.  Then, as usual, around 6:30 or so, I fell asleep. I woke up at 7:03, because Paul had started working, and he works from our room.  Being on a zoom call snoring in bed is not my favorite, so up I got.  I looked in the mirror, and who is this hag?  

I did buy some Oil of Olay yesterday in Costco.  $9.97 for two.  But, it's not scented, and that's a rip off, because I want to take that cap off and sniff, and smell my mother.  It didn't make me look younger, by the way.  

Time to get up and get moving.  It's been so nice to sit here in my comfy chair, ignoring the jumble of furniture in the wrong places, procrastinating and assuring myself that it's better to do it all later when the flooring is done.  The trim has to be done too, not sure when it'll get done, last time we did the floor we never put it in the living room.  This time for sure ha.  (and it didn't kill me to not have it!  although it bothered me immensely at times)


 The view from my chair...lovely.  But, patience is a virtue, and seeking it brings peace to me, and to those around me.  Rome wasn't built in a day, and HGTV shows weren't either, we're just victims to good editing and time-lapse.  Yes, I will be thankful today, and it will be a good day.  

7 comments:

Mari said...

Ha! I feel your pain, but you did make me laugh thoughout it.
It never works for me like HGTV either. I tell Bob that those women come up with ideas and their husbands make it work. Mine says "Do you know how much that would cost? It's not going to happen!" :)
And those nights you can't sleep are the pits.
Enjoy those grandbabies tonight!

16 blessings'mom said...

Mari, remodeling anything is opening up several cans of worms...the more you do the more you see that could be done. My husband is the same:)

Terri D said...

Noting that last photo, I LOVE the color of the floors. I look forward to seeing the completed rooms in photos. And yes, it does look like it is effortless on HGTV. New floors is at the top of list of things to do. I have seven different kinds of floors in this house and I just want two (tile in bathrooms can stay). It will get done!

Kristi said...

It could be worse; it could be YOU on the floor doing the scrapping. I did our whole upstairs by myself a couple of years ago; I was crying by the end because I was so happy it was over.

16 blessings'mom said...

Kristi, I am so very aware of that. I helped lug boxes and pick up scraps, and move furniture around, but it was nothing compared to what they did. That is very awesome that you did that. I read so much about tearing up tile before we started, we really wanted to shortcut and install over it, but just wanted to do it the right way...and I think it was worse than I even imagined and dreaded. The dust is still settling. We vacuumed and dusted the living room last night and got things semi back in order, but this morning more dust has settled. (The kitchen isn't done yet, but the tile is all out). I'm glad you got that done, good job. :).

Marilyn said...

Hi Della! The people on TV have unlimited funds and piles of help. It’s a lot of work to do all your floors, but you’ll get it done and be so proud of yourselves. Nothing is ever straight forward in my experience, that’s for sure. It always sounds easy till you start and things don’t go the way you expected. I’ve been there believe me……..

Jamie is getting so big……oh my goodness 🥰

Are you getting socked in with this awful weather we’re seeing on the news 🥶🥶🥶 Stay safe!

Have a good evening 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Andrea said...

hi! (Beautiful family!). We have both lowe's smartcore pro and Home depot's Lifeproof (maybe even the same color) in our house. My husband did all the work himself. Both installed with the same ease. I like Lowe's and my husband likes Home Depot's look. Either one looks better (and wears better) than Pergo's engineered hardwood that he put in another (past) house. So we are very happy.
I love Costco too (and I would still sneak into Target if I needed something but luckily I don't!) andrea