summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Monday, January 29, 2024

one a sparkly Monday morning...

 Fresh snow covered the mud and brown, just enough to brighten up the world as I drove to the pool this fine morning.  Being in the water is always worth the mental battle to actually pack the backpack and go out the door, never regret going.  I am super thankful we have such a place less than ten minutes from here.  

Yesterday we had lunch at my brother's house, with lots of our friends. 

That's my sister in blue, and my brother is sixth from the back on the left, his wife next to me, in the pink. Paul is all the way down the table on the right, with the dark hat on.  We had good food and good fun, and the hours flew by, but not without more plans being hatched to get together again soon.  We have a weekend reserved for a place on one of the Finger Lakes, just the girls.  :)

I brought chocolate chip cookies, and lemon cookies.  If you're ever in a pinch and want to make cookies fast, if you have cake mix, you're in luck.  I've made lemon poppyseed cookies with plain yellow cake mix before and they were really good, just add two eggs, half cup of oil, lemon extract, and the poppyseeds.  Yesterday I used lemon cake mix, added lemon extract, the two eggs and half cup of oil, 350 for eight minutes, sprinkle with powdered sugar when hot, and I think they were good.  I didn't have one.  I have to stay away from cookies.  That doesn't mean I never eat anything "bad", because I had some chocolate yesterday.  I also devoured the coconut almonds from Trader Joe's, that Emily got me for Christmas, they are too good.  I'm just so stuck in a rut with weight loss, I can't start eating cookies again!

Anyway.  I made a big batch of meatballs yesterday morning, roasted them in the oven until they were brown and crunchy on the outside, then added them to a crockpot of crushed tomatoes, sauce, and diced tomatoes, with basil and Italian seasoning.  That feeling that dinner is taken care of, can't beat it.

This afternoon, I have to go pick Miss Charlotte Claire up from school for an appointment, then we're stopping at the grocery store.  We're having a couple of people over for dinner, Jonathan invited them.  We're thinking to have taco salad, which we just had the other day, but it's a good meal for large groups, and it's always good.  

I've been in some interesting battles lately.  The silliest one is the cat:  Orange Guy has been waking me up MEOWING, every SINGLE morning.  This morning, it was 6:05, which is not a huge-0 deal, I get up at 6:30-ish anyway, but still.  Sometimes it's 3:30 or four a.m., and I cannot get back to sleep.  The easy fix is:  last one up, put him outside.  But sometimes it's just too cold, and too mean.  It just grates on me, that after all these years of being tired, getting up with kids and babies, I'm losing sleep over a cat.  

The more interesting trials though, are thoughts.  I start down the poor me train, not even over anything specific, but once you start, it's clear, no one really likes me.  Then the guilt, others have it so much worse, I have NOTHING to complain about, stop it.  It's true, I don't have anything to complain about.  But feelings are complicated, and they're real, and we each get to decide what thoughts we let take up permanent residence in our heads.  If we wallow, and give in, then there's a good chance we'll get bitter, offended, and build walls in our hearts.  

Sometimes it's good to just talk to people and clear things up, or take a walk or a drive with no distractions, and think about things.  Peace comes, for me, when I decide to be thankful to God for the people around me, and let things go. 

Anyway.  Time to get ready...have a good day!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh the poor me thoughts, I know them all too well. They hit me around 3am and cna ruin a nights sleep for sure. I have been taking them captive this new year and most of the time I can run them right out of my head. My word for ‘24 is “willing”. Willing to do what He wants, be who He wants, go where He wants and willing to surrender. So at 3 I am willing to surrender The “poor me” thoughts to the one who loves me, holds me and has plans for me. But… while this all sounds wonderful, these thoughts, and the poor me thoughts, the anxious thoughts,kind of mingle in the middle of the night.

Your life is so much like mine. I am sitting in a parking lot while my youngest daughter has an interview for a job. Tomorrow taking another daughter to a dr appointment as she hurt her hand and can’t drive. But, I have a plan for dinner and I feel like I have won the day! Lol

Have a good day!
Judy

16 blessings'mom said...

Judy, that's such a good attitude to take those thoughts captive, but it isn't always just one easy decision, we do need to FIGHT the fight of faith, tried faith is more precious than gold. These things can seem so trivial, but oh the treasures the trials bring! (and at three a.m., those thoughts seem so real!)
When you have a plan for dinner, yes, you have won the day. Glad you're having some time with your girls, you know well how quickly they grow up...:)

Billie Jo said...

Hello, lovely friend. Why do we not live closer so you could swing by and push me into your car and make me go to swimming with you??? I love to swim. I am just too darrn lazy! Love your love of family. And I love visiting with you here!

Marilyn said...

Hi there Della!

How lovely you got together with family and friends for lunch. Sounds yummy. As for that kitty of yours, I’m not too sure what you can do about him. Lock him downstairs maybe? You need your sleep. My sleeping is a bit off and on lately. I find if I don’t fall asleep within the first 10-15 minutes I might as well get up and make some tea and read for a while. That usually does it. As for that feeling of ‘nobody loves me’ I think we all get that at times. Sometimes it’s good just to go for a nice walk or a drive somewhere…….a park or a lake…….and clear your head. Of course it’s usually a figment of you imagination. It does pass after you have time to sort it out in your head.

The meatballs sound yummy. I have some in the freezer I might take out for a quick supper tonight. We have a guy coming between 3-5 to give us a quote on new windows 😬 Bad timing……..my husband made the appointment 🙄 Mornings or early afternoon would be better of course 🙄 Oh well! We’ll see what he has to say.

I’ve been to the gym twice this week!! Yay me!! Then last night I ate some chips………….oh dear……….

You have a lovely day 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦