summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Friday, January 19, 2024

and finally, the happy news!

 Sonja K. is engaged!  




I didn't want to spoil it for her before she got the pictures done (strykingphotography, excellent pics, Susan!).   Sonja and Oscar met a few years ago, he is one of Jonathan's friends, from Norway.  I won't tell their whole story, but they are pretty happy, don't you think?  He'll be moving to the U.S. :)

Our floors are in!  The trim is not,  but soon.  I love the wide planks, and I love the warmth.  They seem to hide a lot of dust, because there still is a lot of dust.  I haven't gotten everything back in order yet, but I'm working on it. 

Pretty nice though, right?  
Same floor, different lighting.  The nice thing is there are no transitions between the rooms!  It's all one stretch of flooring, and I love love love it.  Once I get things really cleaned up, I'll take a few more pictures, even if no one really cares, ha.  

This fine morning, I brought Evelyn to the airport, for a work trip/visit to Phoenix to see Aaron and Riley. Then Camille and I went to Target for chicken, some hangers, beef jerky, and some chips.   Then into Price Chopper for a salad kit for Sonja for her work dinner, and to redeem the rain checks I had for strip steak for $5.99 a pound. 

Home...we drove through a few fluttering flurries, but no white-outs.  It's cold though, and tomorrow will be colder.  Fittingly, Paul's going ice fishing.  Jonathan went camping.  Camping in the Adirondacks, with Oscar and their friend Matt.  BRRR.  In a lean to, not a camper, btw. Jon: "We want to practice building our own shelter, and scout it out for bear hunting."  Charlotte Claire and Camille are in Ottowa for the weekend...everyone is enjoying winter, I guess.

I am too.  I really am.  The crispy cold, the coziness, the blankets, the evening tea, the comfort food...tonight it was only Paul and I for dinner, so we had those steaks, pan-seared with butter and rosemary, lots of freshly ground salt and pepper, oh so good.  I really like the bagged salads mixes, we shared an Asian salad with lots of crunchy cabbage, sliced almonds and little wonton strips, I don't eat dressing on mine, just salt and pepper, and usually a few craisins.  Then Paul came out with a Norwegian chocolate bar, hazelnut, and oh dear, a few squares of that...six.  Six squares, it's so good.  

We watched a few episodes of "Reacher", now he's gathering up his gear for tomorrow.  I used to go ice fishing with him.  Now...no thank you.  It's nice to be outside, but when you've had enough, you still have to stay outside.  So I'll stay here with Sonja, and organize some more cabinets. 

  It's almost addictive, to throw away the stuff you don't need.  Oscar fixed one of our broken cabinets, and we sorted through a bunch of water bottles that no one uses anymore.  We each have one or two, so these are the extras from years past.  I bagged some nicer ones to donate, and the others to throw away.  Paul got the bags mixed up and threw away the nice ones, he already went to the dump.  oops.  Anyway, now there's an empty cabinet!  What shall I put in it?  I'd like to have one of those kitchens with the sparklingly empty countertops, but getting the air fryer out every time?  It's hard enough to lug out the kitchen aid, and the toaster?  We keep it out.  Then there's the tea kettle for coffee water, and the coffee grinder and espresso machine, those stay out because they are used all day long here.  

It does make me more cautious about buying things, do we really need it?  It's sickening, really, to throw things into the landfills so willy-nilly.  That's one reason I really like the thrift store, getting a second use out of it, then sometimes donating it back, especially toys and books.   

I wish I had bought lots of apples today, maybe I'll go visit the apple lady down the road, tomorrow,  and see if she still has any in storage.  I just feel like making apple pie... and maybe a pot pie...mmmm.  Have a really nice night.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your flooring is just lovely! Enjoy!

Mari said...

What a happy post.
Congratulations to Sonja and Oscar! So exciting!
I love, love, love your flooring. I know you are so happy to have it down.
I don't have an air fryer. I would love one, but I have so little counter space and not much cabinet space either.

Marilyn said...

Hi Della!

Congratulations to Sonja and Oscar 🥰 How lovely! They look very happy! Such lovely pictures of them.

Your floors look great! I love the colour…..nice a warm looking. That didn’t really take all that long, did it? It probably seemed long because you were all tipsy turvy for the duration. Really lovely. Those little boys are so adorable ☺️

Have a great day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

Dawn Marie said...

Congrats to Sonja and Oscar! They look like a beautiful couple. I wish them the best. And your floors came out great.

Anonymous said...

Aw, congratulations! Thanks for a cheery post to read, glad things are going well with the floors and family:)
Valerie

Carol said...

Congratulations to Sonja and Oscar. They look very happy together. I love the new flooring and I am sure once everything is in place you will too.

Terri D said...

Congratulations to Sonja and Oscar!! How fun to have a wedding to plan! Your floors look great! I do love the color and the wide planks. I really need to work on purging again. I have too much stuff again. Heavy sigh. Happy weekend!!

16 blessings'mom said...

Ah, thank you everyone, the floors are so nice. It's amazing how much warmer they are than that kitchen tile was. No wonder it's installed in those hot climates so much! Now my bare feet are happy! I don't think they look as real as the old living floor, but the seamless flow into the kitchen and down the hallway is so nice.

Anonymous said...

I love the floors! Just beautiful… I know how much work it is but so worth it.

Congratulations on your daughter’s engagement. Very exciting and I love he is moving to the states.
My daughter met her boyfriend in in Nicaragua on a mission trip. He is Nicaraguan but his family are missionaries in Costa Rica. I think when they get engaged the plan will be to live in Costa Rica, at least for a little while.

Enjoy the cold! It’s not too band here today.

Judy