summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Wednesday, January 24, 2024

um, no thank you?

 I forget how old I am sometimes.  This fine rainy winter day, I went out and about all by my lonesome.  We needed:  butter, cream, garlic powder, flour, sugar.  I also had to get some coffee for Emily for a mentors' weekend, so I went to BJ's for that.  I wandered, dawdled, and lolly-gagged.  I found a pillow I didn't know I needed, marked down to $9.98, a big foam wedge/headboard pillow, I cannot wait to get it out and try it.  I got a three pack of large bottles of Dove body wash for $7.48, a four-pack of butter, a package of burger, and a big box of hand warmers for Paul for ice fishing and hunting.  

As I rounded an aisle,  an old man sank down onto the display sectional couch, and sighed loudly.  Ahhhh. "Comfy, eh?  You're not going to want to get up."  "Oh, it's so nice, try it!  Sit down, it's so comfortable!"  um...I'll take your word for it.  Actually, I said, "Oh, I couldn't, I'd never get up."  Then I realized it wasn't really an OLD man, he was no older than I am.   Did he think I would really sit down on the couch with him?  awkward!  Anyway.

Aldi next, where a nice lady gave me her cart and waved away the quarter.  Apparently there's extra karma  when you pay for the cart then give it away.  

I saw a lady who gets my Bad Mom Award.   She gave her two small children the squishy pets, whatever they're called, Valentines's gimmicks, to play with in the cart.  I saw her a few times, it's a small store, and she kept telling her kids that they could only play with them in the store, they had to put them back before they checked out because they weren't buying them.  So you can play with the toys and get them all drool-y then put them back?  who knew?  

No surprise, they cried when she took them away.  I actually sided with the kids.  The mom did get points for saying what she meant and meaning what she said, but it was kind of mean.  AND kind of mean for those who bought those "new" toys, maybe?  

But then who knows what kind of day she's had, or what's going on in her life.  

In Aldi I got a cheese pizza because it was under five bucks, red potatoes, cajun cheese curds for Paul, bacon, cream, flour, sugar, some boxed stuffing, and some shelves for inside a cabinet.  

Home...ahh, home.  Camille had made chocolate Macarons with chocolate fluff middles. 

They weren't gray, just the lighting.
She made a bunch of them, I just grabbed three for the picture.  I didn't have one but they said they were delicious.   I did try this pie though...just a tiny bit.
I've been wanting to make apple pie.  It's not beautiful, but oh dear, so yum.  I also made two chicken pot pies, mmm, and a no sugar added pumpkin, although it does have some honey and a tiny bit of stevia, and monk fruit.  

Tonight's dinner was the pizza, and taco salad with red onions, cilantro, fresh salsa, ect.  

This morning, I didn't go to the pool. I was up and ready, but I had something in my eye, I know, lame, but it was watering and getting red, and watering more.  I don't know what the issue was, but it went on for half the morning.  I didn't want to go and look like I had pinkeye, and plus, my nose was running from the eye watering, and not in the pool!  I hate when I miss it, and dang, for something like that.  

I kept myself occupied though, I took everything out of the pantry and cleaned it.  The dog food bag had ripped, or some-doggy ripped it, so it was a big and thorough job.  It's good to get an idea of exactly what's in there, and to weed through some open boxes and get things organized better.  

I'm telling you, I don't get bored.  All those years of not being able to do anything without fifty interruptions, I just revel in taking my time and puttering around.  When the kids were plentiful and underfoot, one of my priorities was clean floors.  Way back when, the living room was carpeted, so it was vacuumed every day.  The kitchen/dining room was swept multiple times a day, and mopped and spot cleaned so there wasn't any sticky.  Sixteen kids, and I have always hated  sticky.  Crumbs too, no walking in crumbs, nope.  My house was far from spotless, some of the kids rooms were actual hurricanes at times, some bordered on pig styes.  They didn't eat in their rooms though, it was just toys and clothes.  But anyway.  The floors had to be clean, and oh my goodness, it was painstakingly difficult to accomplish anything.  

I turned into a shover.  I wanted things neat and clean, so I shoved things wherever they fit, got them put away, then the cupboards and closets got messy and I couldn't find things.  

When we went out and about, the kids were clean and neat and pretty well behaved, so you can't have everything, you can't DO everything, at least I couldn't.

Oh I ramble on....have a really good night.  

7 comments:

Cindy said...

I wondered about that mom and kids - and the people coming after them who would buy those 'new' squishies. My granddaughter loves them but if I buy her one I may get it from the bottom of the pile. :) That apple pie looks delicious! That's my favorite. Its so satisfying to get a cupboard or closet cleaned out! I bet your pantry looks great.

Mari said...

I am so impressed with Camille's macaroons! They could be in the bakery. Your pie looks yummy too.
I agree with you on that mom. Not good all around...
I had a similar experience in the story last week. There was a lady in the middle of the aisle, just blocking it and not moving. I thought something to myself about the old lady - and then I got closer and thought - She's probably the same age as me! Yikes!

16 blessings'mom said...

Cindy, yes, dig to the bottom ha. It is so satisfying to get things cleaned out. Mari, Camille with her macaroons, she is pretty serious about them. It took a few hours, too. Shh, sometimes I'm the old lady blocking the aisle, although when it's someone else, I think, "how could they be so unaware?!" :)

Anonymous said...

Hello 👋

I love your ramblings Della! Ramble on………

It great to get things done in the pantry, isn’t it? When I had my big surgery in august and my daughter stayed with me for a few weeks to look after me, she did my pantry. Oh my it’s a vision of beauty! She bought wire baskets, and a couple of lazy Susan’s, and put tags on them. All the oils together, and the vinegars etc. She sorted my spices into alphabetical order…..I have a huge spice rack on the pantry door……..and she found multiple of several spices 🙄 “Mum you you have 5 jars of turmeric!” 🤣🤣🤣 We had a good laugh 😂 It’s still looking good as it is so easy to find everything now. She did the freezer too 😳

It’s amazing what people let their children do in stores sometimes. I remember leaving the store a few times because of bad behaviour. My friend told me they are not to say “no” to their great grandson! Good heavens!! Sad isn’t it?

Those boys were brave to camp out in that cold! And Paul ice fishing 😬 That was funny about the man asking you to sit with him on that couch!! 🤣🤣 And those macaroons look delicious! And the pie!! I have discovered gluten free pastry shells at my grocery store. There’s two in a pack so will make a double crust pie. I’m all excited and HOPE they are good.

Anyhow………I think I’ve rambled long enough now. You have a lovely day!

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, you can ramble as much as you like. I love reading your comments, I feel as if I know you, after all these years! How nice your daughter did all the organizing for you. Sometimes we get used to how things are, so fresh eyes come along and bring change. My daughter's new fiancé asked what was wrong with one of our kitchen cabinets that had a lazy Susan attached to the door, the corner cupboard...it's been so sticky for years, hardly opened, so we barely used it. He took the culprit/broken shelf out, and now we have all this extra cabinet space. We were just so used to having it like that, didn't even notice anymore! Anyway, I do hope your gluten free pastry shells are really good, what kind of pie will you make?

Marilyn said...

Hi again! I’d love to make a blueberry pie, but blueberries are so expensive right now so it will be apple….my husband’s favourite. You talking about bedrooms looking like a pigsty made me laugh. My daughter the one who is now Mrs Neat Freak ……when she was a teenager and up until she left home…..her room was dreadful …..she even had a big poster on her door of a pig covered in clods of mud and dirt, with the words WE CANT ALL BE NEAT!!! 🤣🤣🤣 Oh my goodness it was awful sometimes. My other daughter was always fairly well organized. She’s an RN now in the ER so that has served her well. Actually they are both neat freaks now and they certainly didn’t get that from their mother!! 🤣🤣🤣

Have a lovely weekend 😊

Marilyn from Canada 🇨🇦

16 blessings'mom said...

Marilyn, we have Maine wild frozen blueberries for not terribly expensive, they make a really good pie. It's funny how the kids grow up to be so neat and tidy, isn't it? I don't think any of my grown kids are actually sloppy, come to think of it. A few are actual neat freaks too, must take after their grandmother, because it's certainly not from Paul or me. :)