summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, August 28, 2008

300 posts?

Yes, I have written 300 posts. Where, may I ask, did I find time for that?

Well, today was a grocery shopping day. The day started with eggs and bagels. The girls had two cousins over for a sleepover, and predictably, they were up late and up early. So, I made them breakfast. Then the decision: who to take shopping? I don't want to say anything to put my older kids in a bad light, but some of them balk at taking the little ones shopping, which is understandable, and then some of them don't want all the younger ones left home, to baby sit for, again, understandable. So what's a mom to do? We need food, and more importantly, we were totally out of LAUNDRY DETERGENT. This alone is worth a trip to the store. Especially since the little girls just cleaned their room....

So, I had a little fit for myself, as my mother used to say. I didn't mean to. I just yelled that I would not leave any of the kids at home if they were going to be a burden, they were not a burden, and I won't have them treated that way. And if I want to take them all with me, and someone thinks it's too difficult, fine, stay home. I can manage. This little yelling spree ended with me crying. I actually can't do too well on my own, well - I can if I have to, but help is nice. The kids don't like seeing mom cry. Of course. And mom doesn't like to cry in front of the kids. So we decided that Camille would stay home, as she was ready for a nap. And we took 3 younger kids. We went to Wegmans, B.J's, and Walmart. blah, blah, blah......


I try really hard to balance out what I ask the kids to do. I am very consious of that. Honestly the girls do more than the boys, and are resentful of that sometimes. I need to work on that
more. God has blessed us with many children. So of course that means alot of work. I know some families that let their kids off with little or no responsibility, and it doesn't go well with the kids as they grow up. One large family that I know, the mom is extremely capable, does most everything herself, then relies on the girls when she needs help, the boys don't do anything. Anyway, I am going off on a tangent (that's one of our favorite games around here, Off on a Tangent, which you probably never heard of, since we invented it). I try to balance what they need to help with, with freedom to do what they want to.

I might have to go up and pick Abigail up at college tomorrow becauses she needs to go to physical therapy. Who shall I bring with me?

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

Congrats on 300 posts Della!
dont worry, i think every now and then its okay to cry in front of the kids,(especially with 16 !!!) you are so right about responsibility, i try to share it out evenly but admittedly Sam and Paige are always picking up the sack as i have to just about force Zac to do anything lol its something i have to work on so they dont get resentful....

Cassandra xx

Martha said...

I used to smile and tell my older kids that "I had them first so they could take care of the younger ones." I really tried not to take advantage but some work is good for everyone.

Enola said...

I cry often lately in front of my child - and I only have 1 :)