summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

a long long day

Aaron's surgery was successful, albeit long....they took him in at 1:30, and he was out at 4:30...so the dr. decided to have him spend tonight in intensive care. He said that since it would be 6 o'clock before he got into a room, it would be better in the ICU where the nurses could keep a closer eye on him. So, he is very groggy. And cold! Since the surgery was a bit lengthy, I guess it's normal for the patient to be cold. But do you believe that his temperature was 93 degrees? I am not lying or exaggerating one bit. I could not believe it. They covered him in warm blankest, then with this device that is like a vacuum cleaner that blows warm air on him....he was just shaking and shivering....I thought I would faint when I first went into recovery and saw him....(I am a very big baby).....but just seeing Aaron, my little Aaron, so pale and hooked up to everything...

The surgeon is a great guy....overworked, for sure. Do you know that there are only around 450 pediatric surgeons in the whole United States? He said he was operating all day, is on call tonight, and will be back to work in the morning......and he mentioned that it is a tough job, sometimes newborns die, and other soul-wrenching outcomes....Paul and I knew this about these surgeons because one of our close friends is a ped. surgeon, she is now practicing in New Mexico.....she actually helped perfect the Nuss procedure, which Aaron just had done....and we know firsthand how exhausted and overworked she had been in the past....anyway, these doctors are really needed!

There was a mom in the surgical waiting room that I wanted to drag to therapy.....she was so mean, but in a fooling around sort of way, just mean though....one of her daughters was in surgery, the other, six years old, was waiting with her....she just bullied that child!! At one point she literally picked the girl up by her legs and mopped the floor with her hair.....sort of fooling around, but the girl was not laughing....then she would squeeze her face, and slap her....and 3 different times she threatened to leave her in the hospital, and not tell anyone where she was....she was loud, obnoxious, and rough. Poor child.....she'll grow up the same way.....I am so glad I am not God...how can He bear all the sadness in this world....you'll have to bear with me, I saw too much sadness for my weak soul today.....sick babies.....limping children....

I feel like a bad mommy, but the doctor recommended that we come back to the house here and get some sleep tonight, as Aaron will be sleeping, medicated, and watched over well in the ICU....so Paul went home, he has to work tomorrow....and here we are....the girls are playing WII, and Camille is trying out all the toys....apparently my favorite toy company is a big sponsor,, Fisher-Price.... before Paul left he drove us all over this great big city to find a Subway....which we did....then he dropped us off and went on his way......so, we went in the kitchen, and there was hot supper on the counter for the guests: potatoes, carrots, ham, cauliflower, applesauce, tossed salad, Italian bread, and brownies.....can you believe that? All made by volunteers. I am very thankful.....we did eat a bit of our subs, too, as we were so very hungry....but we are saving them for tomorrow's lunch....

So, I should go and put Miss Camille to bed....I am finding it hard to get moving...I am down in the family room here, which is very nice.....a fooseball table, huge tv, sectional couch, 2 recliners and a few easy chairs....the girls are in the playroom next to here....there are windows connecting them.....

We are getting up bright and early tomorrow morning, to be at the hospital when Aaron goes into his regular room.....it will be different with Paul not with us, as I do not want to leave the girls unattended, and his regular room will be private, with us all allowed in, as opposed to the ICU which only lets 2 in at once, and NO BABIES!

So, thanks for prayers, I will tell Aaron you are thinking of him....he is such a good sport, tomorrow maybe I'll get some "after" pictures.....goodnight....

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

Della, i have been checking to se if you had posted how it went, i am so releived he came through it fine, i hope he recovers quickly and isnt in too much discomfort, i'll be thinking of you...

Cassandra xx

Jennifer said...

I'm so glad everything went well! Praying for a speedy recovery :)

cheryl said...

Glad to hear it went well! And I hope you all enjoy your nice beds! It's good to know you have such a great place to stay! I'm praying that Aaron's recovery isn't too rough, and that things go smoothly for you! Take care!
PS.. I'll cry tonight for that little girl in the waiting room. Can I have her???