summer 2011

summer 2011

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012

Paul and I, all 16 kids and Ashley, Benjamin's wife...Christmas 2012
family

Thursday, September 17, 2009

the new stove

Complete with fingerprints. And my old tea kettle looks - well, old. It sure is nice, though. I am very very very thankful for it. I guess I am truly a housewife. When we were shopping for it, I couldn't help but notice the nice washers and dryers, shiny and red and matching....(the Duggar family has FOUR sets. Four. Somehow I think that I would have no trials at all if I had FOUR washers and FOUR dryers) Anyway, there was this KitchenAid dishwasher, whisper quiet, $4000! And I glimpsed the Corian countertops, and the shiny new cupboards...ooh, what a cursed greedy nature I have. I hate those home improvement stores, well actually I love them, but they open up that discontent in me. Same with the shows on t.v. Yeah, I know it doesn't matter, but it is still in me to want those beautiful houses. All the space, and the nice decorations that aren't broken, hey even pictures on the walls that aren't perpetually crooked. Bathroom counters NOT covered in toothpaste. Spacious, organized closets. Even that word, "Spacious"....that is a lovely word. Not that I would trade the kids for a house, but wouldn't it be sweet to win the lottery and have a huge spacious house for all the kids? A big music room with a baby grand for Margaret and Aaron, an excercise room with one of those endless pools, a huge playroom with a climbing wall and a trampoline, and maybe a few swings. More bedrooms, more bathrooms, a garage. A huge diningroom, so we could actually walk around the table. Oh, and a mudroom! A huge SPACIOUS mudroom, with shelves and hooks and benches.....with a place for winter coats and boots and backpacks and sandals and sweatshirts and jackets and bike helmets. Oh, I know I am dreaming. And I don't spend all day longing for such a place, but it would be nice. That doesn't mean I am not happy with my house, but dreams are dreams.


4 comments:

Tereza said...

Well if it's any comfort....the pictures on my walls end up crooked all the time!! I was upset the other day that I found the family picture on the living room wall full of fingerprints....I mean come on people...can we at least stay off the walls!!!!!
I think we should be neighbours you and i:)

Karen said...

Every time I imagine cleaning that large, spacious house I become more content with my smaller one....of course my sister pointed out that if we could afford something that elaborate we could afford to hire someone to clean perpetually!

cheryl said...

Mine are usually crooked, too, although I'm always making mental notes to try to figure out why..
As far as your dream house, keep dreaming.. as long as you are content where you are, it can be kind of fun. It does help me to fall asleep sometimes.
I asked one of my girls to wash the family room windows today, not all of the windows, just one room, mind you!! SHE said.. they're fine, Mom..

mommeeof10 said...

We bought a new stove right after Rosalie was born. The old one was 8 years old, I had recently replaced the2 burner elements and the control switches for them. One night I noticed a burner was not heating up and pushjed it into the receptacle. There was a loud pop, sparks flew from the stove and hubby said "we are getting a new one, today." We had to wait for delivery, as we went to the appliance store near the NICU instead of the lowes near our house. I like the oversized oven and the timed cooking option, though I rarely use the timed cooking. The shelves from the old one fit, so I have 4 oven shelves. Perfect for those days when I get in a pie baking mood and make 6 or more.